I Saw Steve Gadd Tonight

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Talk about a religious experience. He was playing with James Taylor, and Fire and Rain was the fattest groove I've ever heard. So much so that I almost want to spell it P-H-A-T. He was absolutely phenomenal from the first count-in, which was Country Road, and which he took full control of. My wife, who is also a percussionist, and I were in complete awe. An absolutely amazing experience.

James Taylor, Steve Gadd, and Jackson Browne all in one night. Talk about checking off the bucket list.

Quai34

Reaction score
Well, he's been my #1 guy since I discovered him on 'Primal Scream'.
Same here. When I was in France, you had every evening a 2 hours radio shake on FIP (France Inter Paris) hier Jazz à FIP. That was the best radio show ever on jazz, I cannot find any other show, even on TV that was better than this. And of course, they are always telling you the name of the players. And on a lot of jazz, it was, "Steve Gadd on Drums...etc". I was young when I discover him, he was young too at that time but his playing was incredible.

Last edited:

multijd

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw him with JT a few years back. Every time he hit the crash cymbal it was a different sound. Mind bending experience.

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a night you had... my only time to see him live was also at a JT show several years ago, it was a wonderful evening!!

20160423_211556 copy.jpg

20160423_223602 copy.jpg

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

thejohnlec

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was fortunate to see him twice with Paul Simon on the Born At The Right Time tour, with 4 other percussionists. He has the unique ability to translate his approach to time and pocket from the studio to the stage.

These JT shows have been getting rave reviews!

kallen49

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same here. When I was in France, you had every evening a 2 hours radio shake on FIP (France Inter Paris) hier Jazz à FIP. That was the best radio show ever on jazz, I cannot find any other show, even on TV that was better than this. And of course, they are always telling you the name of the players. And on a lot of jazz, it was, "Steve Hard in Drums...etc". I was young when I discover him, he was young too at that time but his playing was incredible.
Sadly the Canadian leg of the JT/JB 2021 tour has been postponed until next year.
In 2006 I attended the soundcheck and then the clinic of one of Steve's "Mission from Gadd" tours which was unforgettable.
He is a maestro.
BTW Toronto has a great jazz radio station

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am very happy that you were able to see Gadd in such a great musical environment. I've never seen him live with a band; only on the "Mission from Gadd" tour - which was really enjoyable, but lacked the magic Steve has when he's playing with other musicians. He's on my bucket list of live acts to see before I get too old to care.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
saw him in a bar around 77 with Steps, Mike manieri vibes, levin on bass. He had that stare.
then later on big outdoor stage with Paul simon opening for Bob dylan.

That time in the bar I watched him like a hawk.
He did the two-handed ride thing. RH on Ride bell/and snare LH on HH.

Was using the 4 pearl closed concert toms and Gretsch bass then.
That was a great Club pauls mall/jazz workshop boston saw everybody -almost- there

Last edited:

bbunks

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A Steve Gadd performance will certainly turn your head around!

I had a bucket list item of seeing him in a small club as I'd only ever seen him in an arena with Paul Simon and on the Mission From Gadd clinic tour.

So 4 years ago, my buddy and I went to NYC to see him with Chick at The Blue Note. We went Friday and Saturday, and if I had thought about it, I would have also bought tix for the Saturday late show. I mean, it's Chick and Steve!!

As you can see, we had great seats for the Friday set! Saturday's were in the first section center.

They ended their set Friday with Chick's wife Gayle singing "You're Everything"....and as they walked off the stage - Steve walked basically into my seat...my buddy was still singing the song and Steve gave us both a big hug. The next night I talked with him a little after the show and he asked "Did you like it? Did we sound good?" Oh man did they sound good!

Attachments

Last edited:

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My only parallel to this event would be seeing Vinnie C with Herbie H and having my music synapses completely rewritten, about 15 years ago.

Mr. Colaiuta was no more than 8 feet away from me and I could see everything he was doing but still not really understand how he was doing it all at the same time. Beyond that, the three of them (I can't remember who the bassist was, but he too, was phenomenal) played jazz-oriented music that more or less could've been beamed down from Mars (in the best way you can imagine).

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
My only parallel to this event would be seeing Vinnie C with Herbie H and having my music synapses completely rewritten, about 15 years ago.

Mr. Colaiuta was no more than 8 feet away from me and I could see everything he was doing but still not really understand how he was doing it all at the same time. Beyond that, the three of them (I can't remember who the bassist was, but he too, was phenomenal) played jazz-oriented music that more or less could've been beamed down from Mars (in the best way you can imagine).
I was just thinking that Gadd and Vinnie are the two that I want to see. Add Jack DeJohnette and I’ll be complete. I’ve seen many greats but missed out on some too. We can’t see them all though. But I’d be content with those three for now.