I Saw Steve Gadd Tonight

Stone Wilcoxon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was just thinking that Gadd and Vinnie are the two that I want to see. Add Jack DeJohnette and I’ll be complete. I’ve seen many greats but missed out on some too. We can’t see them all though. But I’d be content with those three for now.
Explorers, our local Kansas City drum shop has brought in a lot of great players for clinics over the years. Among those that I was privileged to see were Gadd and DeJohnette. Both were, of course, phenomenal. Jack came out at the start, took the mic and said "I'm going to play a little, if that's okay," and proceeded to sit down at a beautiful Sonor Scandinavian birch kit. He played for the next hour and a half, at least. No "drum licks", just a constant flow of incredible music on the drums. Then he got up, went back to the mic, and said "Ummm... Any questions?" After we all picked our jaws up off the floor, somebody said "What just happened?"

HoorayGuy

Reaction score
I saw Buddy at least that many times. Even sat down and had a beer with him.
My father tried to get him to greet me, but, just didn't happen. I do distinctly remember at this dinner theater I saw him at, he stopped right in the middle of a solo and yelled, "SHUT UP!". I thought it was great, but, I'm sure many others thought he was an A-hole. lol

piccupstix

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My father tried to get him to greet me, but, just didn't happen. I do distinctly remember at this dinner theater I saw him at, he stopped right in the middle of a solo and yelled, "SHUT UP!". I thought it was great, but, I'm sure many others thought he was an A-hole. lol
I guess he loved doing that. I saw him several times at Disneyland (Anaheim) and you could bet somebody would yell, "Yeah, Buddy!" and he'd stop and yell "SHUT UP." Then, back to his magic show.

Stone Wilcoxon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Any recalls, revelations?
Just that he was kind, and interested in us as young players. He wanted to know what we thought of the show, and asked us what we were doing musically. He talked a little about hand technique, in which he said that his stick technique was all wrist, very little of the Morello-style finger control. In parting, we were all headed toward the door, when Buddy asked "Where did you guys say you were from?" Told him we had come in from Manhattan Kansas. He stops and reverts to the boisterous persona, says "Manhattan, Kansas? Where the hell is that?" "About 120 miles west of here" we said. Buddy stops, turns to the guys who were still there with him, says "Did you hear that? These guys just drove a hundred miles just to see me!" Then he turns to me and says "It was worth it, wasn't it?" Well... yeah.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Just that he was kind, and interested in us as young players. He wanted to know what we thought of the show, and asked us what we were doing musically. He talked a little about hand technique, in which he said that his stick technique was all wrist, very little of the Morello-style finger control. In parting, we were all headed toward the door, when Buddy asked "Where did you guys say you were from?" Told him we had come in from Manhattan Kansas. He stops and reverts to the boisterous persona, says "Manhattan, Kansas? Where the hell is that?" "About 120 miles west of here" we said. Buddy stops, turns to the guys who were still there with him, says "Did you hear that? These guys just drove a hundred miles just to see me!" Then he turns to me and says "It was worth it, wasn't it?" Well... yeah.
What a great story! This is how I like to think Buddy Rich was. I mean the guy toured practically every day of his life, had a real bad back that probably caused him pain a lot of times and gave 100% all the time every night. I was fortunate to see him at a high school when I was 13 in 1984. Never got to meet him though.

BoomBoom

Reaction score
I saw Steve in January 2019 at Jazz Alley in Seattle. He had his own band and it was amazing. I did not get to meet him. Often at concerts there the artists come out and sign autographs etc but either Steve didn't or I didn't see him doing it. Never saw Buddy.

drummerfriend

Reaction score
Been beyond fortunate to see Steve play live many, many times.

One of the last times was in 2016 at the Blue Note (NYC) with Chick. My friend and I went for 3 consecutive nights - both sets.

We had ring side seats for all the shows. Steve graciously posed for a picture with me. The one and only drummer I had on my bucket list to get a picture with.

20161103_231917.jpg