header.nohb.html

I swear it was talking to me

paul

DFO Master
Reaction score
Playing my Sunday brunch gig this past weekend on a brutally hot day in Fort Worth. I don't think the heat had an effect here, though. I forget the song we were playing, but something fairly up tempo, and as I was playing my solo I hit my first floor tom, and it simply sounded perfect. So perfect that for the next eight bars or so I featured that tom! I kept finding opportunities to hear it speak. For the record, it's a 10/12/14/16/20 setup that sounds really good to me generally, especially at this venue, but I've never had a single tom demand my attention like that.

Alas, if it's incipient dementia I'm too old for it to be considered "early onset."

Last edited:

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Playing my Sunday brunch gig this past weekend on a brutally hot day in Fort Worth. I don't think the heat had an effect here, though. I forget the song we were playing, but something fairly up tempo, and as I was playing my solo I hit my first floor tom, and it simply sounded perfect. So perfect that for the next eight bars or so I featured that tom! I kept finding opportunities to hear it speak. For the record, it's a 10/12/14/160/20 setup that sounds really good to me generally, especially at this venue, but I've never had a single tom demand my attention like that.

Alas, if it's incipient dementia I'm too old for it to be considered "early onset."
Wow.
I can just imagine what that second floor tom might’ve sounded like, at 160” :)

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Playing my Sunday brunch gig this past weekend on a brutally hot day in Fort Worth. I don't think the heat had an effect here, though. I forget the song we were playing, but something fairly up tempo, and as I was playing my solo I hit my first floor tom, and it simply sounded perfect. So perfect that for the next eight bars or so I featured that tom! I kept finding opportunities to hear it speak. For the record, it's a 10/12/14/160/20 setup that sounds really good to me generally, especially at this venue, but I've never had a single tom demand my attention like that.

DUDE!!! :hello1:

YOU'VE GOT A 160" FLOOR TOM?! :headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

And I thought 18" Floor toms rocked.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The perfect tuning in the perfect spot in the perfect room. Sometimes it's just magic!

paul

DFO Master
Reaction score
Sorry, but I don't own a tunebot, so no settings. I tune my biggest tom first and then tune the rest in 3rds or 4ths, just however sounds good to my ears. I can play the first line of the Mighty Mouse theme song on my toms: "Here I come to save the day!" Try it.

I had to downsize from the 160. Gas prices made hauling the trailer too expensive. I sold it on Craigslist as a trampoline.

drummingbulldog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah. I found that l generally tweak my kit or retune in each venue l play. Sounds crazy to some but l like to detune when l break down and then when l set up again I just tune the kit to the room l play in. Like you l tune large tom or small tom first and then go in order. 3rds and 4ths are an easy way to do it with most standard kits nowadays. When l started in 82 the 12/13/16/22 was still the norm and most had power toms or square toms. Billy Cobham said it's easiest to tune with the same head top and bottom. Ex single ply clear top n bottom. Single ply coated top n bottom. I tried it makes getting an even warm sound out of each drum. In the tuning for the room thing one tom or kick or snare usually sounds amazing. Different kits and heads/tuning can all affect this. My basic kit is a 10/12/14/22 or 20 kick. I found that in each place l would do the just above wrinkle on the 14" tom and hit it once and listen to the note and the decay. Once the pitch just stays even without bending up or down it's in tune. You can easily do this with any heads but tuning properly is easiest if you have the same top n bottom. Otherwise most guys who don't know scales and intervals just sound like the flat eq 70s boxey no tone. Even with nice drums. But totally what you said about your brain or receptors really listening and enjoying the melodious sound of that tom completely affects your choices. I have had a tom on a hot night(l live in n.e. FL) go out of tune playing outside and had a solo coming up and totally skip the 10 or the 12 until l could get a key on the tom. Lol. The cool thing is if you are a good musician you will always incorporate the best sounding notes. Plus in some cases you will inspire the other guys because you played in a way you've never played before and made it work. Drummers too will hear what you heard in that drum too. "What kind of kit do you play? Those toms sound amazing."

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool experience! And you handled it just right, when a drum speaks to you, you spend some time in conversation!

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I played a 2 set gig on a house kit with brushes and only hit the floor tom a few times during 4's (I think you saw that vid of one set Paul) . I envy many things that you do and one of those things is getting to play your own kit. My current one is the best one I have ever had but sees very few outings these days. Hoping that will change.

Last edited:

redcymbal

Reaction score
Playing my Sunday brunch gig this past weekend on a brutally hot day in Fort Worth. I don't think the heat had an effect here, though. I forget the song we were playing, but something fairly up tempo, and as I was playing my solo I hit my first floor tom, and it simply sounded perfect. So perfect that for the next eight bars or so I featured that tom! I kept finding opportunities to hear it speak. For the record, it's a 10/12/14/16/20 setup that sounds really good to me generally, especially at this venue, but I've never had a single tom demand my attention like that.

Sometimes, creativity springs from a second of madness. What do? Flow like a river brother.