I think I have a bruised or broken rib from a bike crash. Gigging was tough!

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Hey All,
A week ago Friday, I was riding my fixed gear road bike on a 35 mile ride and I hit a separation in the road and hit the pavement at about 20 mph. Some nice lady pulled over to make sure I was OK. I had some road rash and my front right side was sore as I tucked when I fell. I also broke my helmet which tells you I hit my head on the ground. That’s why they call them “brain buckets”. She told me I looked very graceful when I went down. I thanked her and continued home which was about 15 miles. No issues riding but pissed because I ruined one of my favorite jerseys. Bike was OK.

So, the last week, my road rash and ribs have gotten much more painful. I think I’m headed to the doctor today for the rib. I’ve not gone to the hospital because I’ve been down this road before and there’s nothing you can do about a rib, but I think I better go, just to be sure.

I played my first did last night and man, it hurt. Hauling the gear, setting up, playing and singing.

F0E655A3-5E2D-411E-BDE3-FD8821E7771D.jpeg
4B23A906-F240-4841-8938-37D507DD46EC.jpeg
432C93BF-D5CF-48FE-AE82-F7355479CAE6.jpeg
F5621598-0869-4972-A5A2-7A3BCDB55D57.jpeg

Last edited:

mcjaco

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Playing basketball a month back, I got caught trying to defend my guy, and coming to help on a guy driving the lane. He crashed into me, almost directly into my left shoulder. It's been painful for weeks, and I'm finally seeing the Doc today. It hurt to get through my last two gigs. I hear ya!

A.TomicMorganic

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A few years ago, I went down after hitting a curb. Cocussion and broken collar bone. Was gigging 6 nights a week, 4.5 hours a night. Collar bone never grew back straight after gigging it every night. Was quite painful. Get well soon.

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I fell twice and dinged up my ribs. Coughing and laughing was awful. A sneeze was agony. Just had to hang in till it healed which took a month

Last edited:

dtk

DFO Star
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about it...but 20 mph on a fixed gear...I bow to your athletic prowess.
and a salute to the lady who checked on you.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've broken ribs twice . Once in the side and once in the back . Having a good night's sleep was out of the question . Pain killers have significant consequences , especially codeine .

First time I had two babies and a wife at home so staying idle was out of the question . Road construction... iron crew ... jack hammer etc . Second time I hoisted myself up onto a platform at the asphalt plant and landed on an exposed bolt . I'm lucky it didn't puncture a lung .

It got better and soon enough I became a new and improved and tougher version of myself , but it hurt along the way .

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
Ouch! When I was about 16 I hit a rut and flew over my handlebars on a gravel road, doing about 25-30 mph. It was like a low-budget Superman flying scene. No broken bones but got scuffed up pretty good. Still have a small scar inside my elbow. That being said, I couldn't imagine crashing on asphalt. Mega-ouch! And good thing you were wearing a helmet! I know you've been doing this a while and follow safety guidelines for a reason. I hope you feel better soon.

dboomer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Fortunately you are not in a coma. Might be fun to bike but accidents can be fatal.

CherryClassic

DFO Master
Reaction score
OH Yes; one night after a gig while loading my truck I cracked or bruised a rib. The building back porch light was out that night so there wasn't much light and as I reached for a drum to load I tripped over a Stealth Rack system and caught myself as I hit the ground. Didn't hurt much then but for the next three weeks I was in pain.

sherm

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Start riding a motorcycle instead of a bicycle. Then, when you go down, you will make a really graceful, extended tumble! Ask me how I know.

Seriously, though, hope you heal rapidly and successfully.

GeeDeeEmm

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
That sucks, been there!
I broke my collarbone mountain biking at Henry Coe state park, (I'm sure you're familiar with that place.)
My front wheel got stuck in some deep ruts on a cow trail downhill section...and OTB I went!
Had to do one particular gig afterwards still wearing my collarbone sling, essentially one-handed playing.
I loaded up on calcium tabs and it healed quickly but still becomes bothersome when it rains and that was 25 yrs. ago.

She told me I looked very graceful when I went down.
LOL! I bet! :laughing6:

& You Dont Stop

Drumming Since '85
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I crashed my mountain bike Christmas Eve, came down hard on my shoulder. It hurt bad, but xrays were negative and I have full range motion. Here almost 2 months later it's still tender with a poping/crumbling sensation. I can't imagine what breaking a shoulder or collar bone is like. Just a contusion sux

Thank god you were wearing your helmet. Hope the pain is soon gone.

egw

Reaction score
Yeah, busted ribs suck. But they heal up in no time at all.

For me, the worst part when playing the kit was turning my body to get to the floor tom. Ouch!

Beatnik

Johnson
Reaction score
Last time I went over the bars maybe 5 years ago, I landed in a nice soft patch of poison ivy. Tossed the bike in truck saying "I'm to old for this sh!t !"

Hope you feel better.

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah, man, as long as the bike is ok.

But seriously, wishing you a fast heal.
Two years ago I fractured a rib when a hand truck rolled back into my chest on a steep ramp.

They are slow to heal.

In my case it’d start to get better and then my youngest son, who was three at the time, would want to wrestle and, like all kids had an innate sense of dad’s weak spot and would hone in for the kill. Out of nowhere he would fly onto me kneeing that rib. I also have an older son, around 20 at the time, and quite the stapping lad, about 5 inches taller than me and a walk of gym muscle. He’s affectionate and loves to give me a bear hug from behind, and if my arm happened to get caught in that over that rib, it’d feel like it was fractured all over again.

Kids, they’ll love you to death.

Sometimes it still feels fractured. Like right now. I’m up in the snow for a few days and the cold....

But use every injury to your advantage, be it relearning technique or in my case I made my kit more ergonomic, with a lower tom and much lower cymbals.