I Think I Have A New Stick!

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was at G.C. today looking for some new sticks. I've been playing the VF Erskine Ride stick for jazz for years. I love the stick, but, I prefer a lacquered stick for the tacky grip, and Ride sticks have been coming in totally bare for a few years now. Well, I saw a stick I hadn't seen before, the VF Keith Carlock signature stick. It's basically a 5A barrel like the Ride stick, but, with a longer taper and a tiny wood tip that usually sounds fantastic on thin, dark rides. AND it has the Doubleglaze finish. I'm pretty stoked!

1620268028219.png

Last edited:

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
Small tips like that tend to be too dark for me, especially on thinner rides. I like standard size tips, but the jazz series offers some much longer tips for more surface contact.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like that stick too , it is like the signature stick he had Regal Tip making him . I need that double glaze lacquer finish as my hands do not sweat . I wish they would make the Peter Erskine Big Band stick in double glaze .

I use the Keith Carlock stick since Regal Tip has been very difficult to get with them “retooling “ for years now .

Vicey

Reaction score
I'm enjoying this stick too. I love the taper but, as KillinBill says, the tips get trashed pretty quickly.

2000dan2000

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just discovered that same Carlock stick a couple of weeks ago and agree, it's awesome. That, along with the Gadd stick, are my new favorites. They both have a great bounce and increased speed, at least for me, as opposed to my previous go-to of the SD11 Slammer.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Small tips like that tend to be too dark for me, especially on thinner rides. I like standard size tips, but the jazz series offers some much longer tips for more surface contact.
It’ll take some more use before I know exactly what this stick about. Not sure which jazz stick you’re referring to. But, if you expand the pic I posted, you can see that the tip has a cone shape, and that the edge of the tip is flat not round. The flat surface may give it more surface contact.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I like that stick too , it is like the signature stick he had Regal Tip making him . I need that double glaze lacquer finish as my hands do not sweat . I wish they would make the Peter Erskine Big Band stick in double glaze .

I use the Keith Carlock stick since Regal Tip has been very difficult to get with them “retooling “ for years now .
Side by side the Carlock and Erskine sticks are the same size barrel. The Carlock stick has a longer taper and smaller, cone shaped tip. But, it’s not a light weight stick, Unlike the Vader jazz stick, which is super light, it has some heft to it.

I have dry hands too. I think the Erskine Ride stick used to have a light finish on it at one time. But, over the past few years I’ve been spraying them with shellac. It’s better than bare wood, but not as good as the Doubleglaze, which is good but not as good as the Regal finish, IMO.

Last edited:

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
IMHO, VF sticks do not feel balanced front to back to me. Yes they weigh the same, yes they are the same length and diameter, but the density spots on the stick always feel different. Consequently when I grab a pair I’m always shifting the lighter feeling stick to me left hand. Now, in fairness to VF, I feel this with Los Cabo’s, Vater, Innovative Percussion, Promark, Zildjian and Regal Tip. All of which I’ve played over my 50 years of drumming. About a year ago I found Meinl. I don’t feel any difference in a pair of sticks any longer. Now I thought this was reservec with Hickory, but I just received some 5B Hybrid Maples and the same thing. I love those Bavarian’s...so meticulous!