I think I have a problem... But is it really that bad?

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The short story is: I need to get some work done in my basement over the next couple of months. This involves cleaning out the entire basement of all our stuff. Completely bare, nothing down there. So I have been working on packing all my drums and gear to move in to storage for an uncertain amount of time. Because I am a bit of a nut, I have kept most of the original boxes and packing materials that all my drums and other gear has come in over the years. I knew there would be a time that I would have to pack this stuff up so why not do it with all the original stuff.

Anyway, I guess I never realized just how much drum stuff I had until I began disassembling it all and packing it up. 4 drum sets, 4 sets of hardware, 4+ sets of cymbals (easily 50+ cymbals), additional snare drums, 3 thrones, 4 sets of pedals, electronic drums, cymbals, modules and accessory equipment, microphones, stands, additional recording equipment, unfinished snare drum shells, unfinished drum set shells, boxes of unused hardware for completing these drum projects, drum heads (OMG so many heads)... I mean, I knew I had a lot of drum stuff, but I had no idea it had gotten so out of control.

In my defense, I kept 3 sets of drums set up at all times in my basement. When I looked at the "unused" stuff sitting in boxes waiting for its time in the sun, it didn't really feel like that much. But now that I have nearly 90% of everything packed up (which has taken me over a week to do) the gravity of what I have accumulated over these past 6-10 years is hitting me. It feels like it could be a problem, but I honestly don't want to get rid of any of it. My plan is to still have 3 kits set up at all times which leaves the unused stuff still at an "acceptable" level to me.

I know I have a lot of drum stuff, but a lot of other drummers I meet say they are the exact same, or even worse. Some of these vintage guys I meet have set after set after set of old Ludwigs, Slingerlands, Gretsch, Rogers, etc just stacked up all over the place. They may have less hardware or cymbals than I do but their need to buy all these old kits becomes a bit of an obsession with them. I have certainly toned down my GAS over the last couple years, and have sold off some things to scale back a bit, but I think my days of buying more gear is over. Its now time to buckle down and just play the damn things.

When I was a kit I had 1 kit, 1 set of hardware, 1 snare drum, 1 set of cymbals and I played probably 5 times a week. It was great. Now I have all this gear but I only play maybe once a month. It sucks. I don't think this is a fault of the GAS. I think it is just life. You get busy, you play less, you think buying something new will get you to play more but that only fuels you to buy even more but still have no time to play....

Anyway, that's my story after a week of packing up my drums. If any of you feel the same way, or have had similar experiences share them below.

squidart

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep! I feel my GAS is in need of the brakes. I've also found that it's getting in the way of just playing the stuff. Trying to let go is not easy but once you start it gets easier. Best of luck with your basement and GAS issues.

Cpb282

Reaction score
If you like the stuff and it is neither a financial burden or significant space burden, it sounds perfectly fine by me. I just did a bit of purging of things that weren’t getting used (guitars), had no sentimental value, and would likely depreciate over time. I am trying to purge here and there as the goal is to move/downsize some day, but there will likely always be a 3-piece band setup for when my kids are out of the house but come back to visit.

oh - and I keep boxes too. Much to my wife’s frustration.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I can certainly relate, and I've been pondering the same thing about all this gear myself.
fortunately, I don't have boxfuls of parts and shells awaiting projects but I DO have giant stacks of drumheads, bags & bags full of cymbals, pedals and hardware. Plus all the bags and cases for everything else.

I won't even reveal the amount of snares and drumsets - but it's a lot.
this stuff has become all consuming and it's difficult to justify it all with no gigs since September.

Just a small corner of one room holds this pile....

DrumRack 003.jpg

charlesm

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The older I get, the more I feel that having a lot of things is an albatross and a psychological barrier to a peaceful environment. It becomes depressing when thinking about the work involved in moving or suddenly having to get out of all this STUFF if necessary. I try to think nowadays in terms of what I honestly only really need or use. I don't keep anything around that doesn't get used. The idea of "trophy" purchases or a hoarder mentality is extremely off-putting to me at this point.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not sure how old you are Tommy D, but at 61, I’m dumping stuff. I want freedom from it all. I want to lighten up my burdens, make my life easier, and getting rid of stuff does that.

Id say keep your favorite kit and get rid of the rest. You won’t miss it. You’ll have cash in your pocket and freedom from all that “stuff”. That freedom is real...

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m purging as well , my goal is 2 kits .
I feel pretty good . And I really don’t want
anymore ...

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes you have a problem! Join the club! If it makes you happy, it's a good problem. I see it this way: For myself, I only spend money on all this drum stuff. It would be bad if I'd spend money on a ton of other things but I don't. So I think it's OK. Another problem would be doing it if you can't afford it. Control is key on that front! Have fun with what you have. It stinks to get rid of stuff and then regretting it.

MBB

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a 3200 sq ft house with a two car garage and a storage shed. I still only have one kit (four drums), hardware and cymbals. Worked for me for 52 years of drumming. No need for me to clutter things up.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started purging about 10 yrs ago planning ahead, time would come when I sell the house, downsize and retire.
It took about 8 yrs to unload about 25 kits 80 snares(all vintage) and too many cymbals to count. It was ALOT of work certainly much easier to aquire than to liquidate. Haven't sold the house yet or retired but I feel good knowing when I do I have only a few kits and a handful of snares and cymbals to pack and move.

tdcrjeff

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Being a drummer, guitar player, mandolin player, PA provider, and taper/recordist I have several different strains of GAS. I think I've finally managed to get it under control in the last 6 months.

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’m not sure how old you are Tommy D, but at 61, I’m dumping stuff. I want freedom from it all. I want to lighten up my burdens, make my life easier, and getting rid of stuff does that.

Id say keep your favorite kit and get rid of the rest. You won’t miss it. You’ll have cash in your pocket and freedom from all that “stuff”. That freedom is real...
I'm 40, but I understand the sentiment. I do worry that if I were to randomly get in a car accident and die that my wife would be absolutely clueless about what to do with the drums. I suppose now that I have all of this packed up and inventoried, I should start putting price tags to things in case there is some sort of unexpected situation.

2000dan2000

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
As of two months ago I had 4 full vintage sets, couple dozen snares, a more than I needed number of cymbals, and boxes of random hardware pieces that I didn’t know I had... starting a month ago I purged. Everything. Sold all four sets, all but 4 or 5 snares, all my cymbals, boxes of parts and hardware pieces.
I took most of the proceeds down to my local drum shop and placed an order with Ludwig for my ‘dream set’ custom order Classic Maples (still yet to arrive) and a full suite of new Zildjian K’s... I saved so much space in the basement that my wife is happy (total bonus!!) AND I get/got to experience all the new feelings of G.A.S again as I ordered up new cymbals and await my new Ludwigs.
Anyhow... clear out the space, purge the things you don’t need, free up the funds for something new and exciting and downsize in the process... that’s my 2 cents at any rate!

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

The problem for me is all my kits a favorite’s, except my bop kit but I do find I need one occasionally.

Rock Salad

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have realized how small of a priority my projects are time wise, and have largely stopped piling them up. But there's still a pile.

lanebune

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
As of today, I have 14 full vintage drumsets, 30 some odd snares, a boat load of cymbals, hardware up the Wazzooo, and still love every one of them. Although I might change my mind tomorrow if anyone is interested......

Rockin' Billy

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keepin’ the beat since 1973 Woodstock, N.Y.
The older I get, the more I feel that having a lot of things is an albatross and a psychological barrier to a peaceful environment. It becomes depressing when thinking about the work involved in moving or suddenly having to get out of all this STUFF if necessary. I try to think nowadays in terms of what I honestly only really need or use. I don't keep anything around that doesn't get used. The idea of "trophy" purchases or a hoarder mentality is extremely off-putting to me at this point.
I’m pretty close to the above. ^^^
Just last night I was tidying up a bit in the drum stuff dept. Slightly overwhelming for me as right now I have 4 kits I want to sell(Yamaha Club Custom already listed for quite awhile now but only posted here.) and that still leaves me with 5 kits. Mostly and sadly laziness has kept me from selling as thinking about having to pack and ship most likely. I also had the feeling that with all going on in the world it may be quite sometime before actual steady gigging happens so what am I doing with all this gear. Can only hope.
Drum kits are really my only overload, not a lot of cymbals or hardware. Probably a couple of snares could go as well. I’m 61 now and trying to make it simple or simple-er at this point. Less to worry about is better for me as probably anyone. It would certainly free up room in the garage.
My wife and I have motorcycle’s and a 62 Fairlane 500, none of which we probably only went 200 miles(if that) this year so it becomes the question why? Yes, enjoy it when we take a drive and the same for different drums. The question I always ponder is “will I miss it?”(whatever ‘it’ is) Tough call.
Sorry for the babble but just went through this with myself last night.

Have a Safe and Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm 40, but I understand the sentiment. I do worry that if I were to randomly get in a car accident and die that my wife would be absolutely clueless about what to do with the drums. I suppose now that I have all of this packed up and inventoried, I should start putting price tags to things in case there is some sort of unexpected situation.
That’s a good idea. I’ve done that with some of my more collectible stuff that my wife would have no idea about.

At 40, I didn’t think about scaling back anything. I think it happens in our older years as we finally realize that stuff is just stuff and it gets tiring messing with it, moving it, storing it etc. And sadly, you begin to wonder about your mortality and how much longer your going to actually need or use all that stuff. Other thoughts become far more important.