I think I have a problem... But is it really that bad?

gretschdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a total of four kits
And as you can see from the rest of us you are in good company

I have resolved to make sure the three kits thatI am going to keep are set up and ready to play

They each have their own set of cymbals

And that’s it

I try to play for at least 30 minutes each day
I mean we buy these things to play right?

I was a hoarder for quite a while with all kinds of kits and hardware and CYmbals
Lying around unplayed

Having so much stuff made me feel very guilty as it just lay there unused

So I know how you feel

I felt the same way

My solution which may work for you is to keep the choice stuff and play it

get rid of the stuff that is unplayed

Maybe keep a few extra snares

Remember

An unplayed drum is a terrible thing to waste

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’m not sure how old you are Tommy D, but at 61, I’m dumping stuff. I want freedom from it all. I want to lighten up my burdens, make my life easier, and getting rid of stuff does that.

Id say keep your favorite kit and get rid of the rest. You won’t miss it. You’ll have cash in your pocket and freedom from all that “stuff”. That freedom is real...
I even have this now with 35 (and two teen girls, wife and mortgage).

I just rounding up downsizing.

One kit, one snare, One set of cymbals, one set of hardware, one spare bd pedal, no electronics anymore, and one set of mics.

But I make sure this is all top of the bill.

Old PIT Guy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It seems to me if you're truly concerned about compulsive buying that's on the verge of hoarding you just do something about it, while if you're looking to be enabled you're more likely to post a thread with "is my problem really that bad" which is actually just looking for tacit support to keep at it.

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
The old saying, "What's good for the goose is good for the gander", doesn't necessarily apply here. It may be entirely appropriate for one of us to have one drum set, another to have three, and another to have twenty three. Maybe some of us need to have zero - yep I went there. It depends on our individual desires, purposes, family/relationships, health, financials, room for storage and play, and whatever else our lives consist of.

It's a complicated thing. While a thread like this is interesting and even fun to take part in, unfortunately your answer must come from within.

That wraps up another episode of "Deep Drum Thoughts" by fun2drum. Join us next time when we'll discuss the feelings of vintage drum sets as they are stripped of their familiar finishes and rewrapped. We'll be interviewing a set of Niles Slingerlands who went through this painful ordeal and now has INDe tom mounts as well.

:)

Old PIT Guy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You have to make a distinction between rational and non rational actions. One problem with the hoarding problem is that an enthusiast forum would be a great place for discussions like this to happen, but it's where they rarely gain traction because members within forums who have a problem tend to identify and group together and service the behavior. And the behavior, if you do have a hoarding disorder, small, medium or large, is circular and resembles addiction: the more you buy the more shame, the more shame the more anxiety, the more anxiety the greater the urge to buy and the reluctance to part with anything.

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I used to collect and collect and collect having probably over 100 drums. I had all kinds of drums that I would buy and keep or restore. I had snares, toms and sets from Fibes, Camco, Gretsch, Rogers, Spaun, Pork Pie, Tama, Yamaha, Pearl, Ludwig, DW, Craviotto, N&C, Beverly, Premier. Then one day I heard about a young American boy (I think from Detroit) around 10 or 11 years old who people on the street heard playing his grandma's pots 'n pans and said, 'he was fantastic, too bad he didn't have a drum.' That was it. What the heck was I doing with all this stuff while young boys and girls that wanted to play a drum could not? I gave or sold away everything, with the exception of my Antique Maple Gretsch kit and Hammered Bronze Ludwig snare. Do I have some regrets, sure here and there. But I more happy to have helped some drummers out there play these drums over me keeping them in a case or on a shelf collecting dust. Drums are meant to be played. Peace.

Dumpy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My house is nearly bulging at the seams. I have gobs of musical equipment, goalie equipment, some bikes. My wife has so many clothes and shoes. My wife used to call me the hoarder, but she has finally admitted she has a problem as well. I think we both have a shopping addiction.

bob

DFO Master
Reaction score
at one time i had 8 drum sets , 20+ snare drums , i'm down to 6 snare drums now
went down to 3 drum sets , now i'm back up to 4
i have 3 complete sets of hardware and cymbals + 8 misc. cymbals and a boat load of stands
i really like all the stuff i have now , don't think i'll be getting rid of or buying anything for now , but if a good deal comes around , you never know ... that's how drummers are . so you seem pretty normal to me ....

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It seems to me if you're truly concerned about compulsive buying that's on the verge of hoarding you just do something about it, while if you're looking to be enabled you're more likely to post a thread with "is my problem really that bad" which is actually just looking for tacit support to keep at it.
I suppose my posting of this thread was not to find support in my "addiction" but to see if my "hoarding" was so out of line that it really needed to be reigned in. From what I am gathering, its not too far out of line, but going further begins to push it in to the hoarding realm very quickly.

Yes, one could say having more stuff than you use is a waste but others may say having more offers up more opportunity. When I have 3 kits set up they are 3 very different configurations with very different musical styles in mind. If I dropped down to 1 acoustic kit and, say, 1 electronic kit it would seem that my ability to play different musical styles would be greatly diminished by doing so. Sure I could strip down a big 7 piece prog set up kit to a simple 4 piece with a few big cymbals, but the amount of time to do that would completely remove my want to even play. Then changing that 4 piece kit to tune up for jazz would mean head changes and a complete retuning of the kit. God forbid I want to go back to playing prog as that means starting all over. The sheer amount of time I would be putting in to setting up, tearing down, head changes, tuning, etc just to play for an hour would be completely prohibitive.

Thats the problem that I wrestle with more so than having all the stuff. This is my justification for having all the gear. When the 3 kits were set up and the rest of the gear was on shelves, I actually felt really comfortable with it. It was just the packing up of everything that made me realize, "holy crap, this is a lot of gear." The good thing about all this packing is that I think I can say, "no more gear." If I want something new, it has to be a direct 1 for 1 swap. If I want a new ride cymbal, I have to sell a ride cymbal. If I want a new kit, I have to sell one of my other kits.

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suppose my posting of this thread was not to find support in my "addiction" but to see if my "hoarding" was so out of line that it really needed to be reigned in. From what I am gathering, its not too far out of line, but going further begins to push it in to the hoarding realm very quickly.

Yes, one could say having more stuff than you use is a waste but others may say having more offers up more opportunity. When I have 3 kits set up they are 3 very different configurations with very different musical styles in mind. If I dropped down to 1 acoustic kit and, say, 1 electronic kit it would seem that my ability to play different musical styles would be greatly diminished by doing so. Sure I could strip down a big 7 piece prog set up kit to a simple 4 piece with a few big cymbals, but the amount of time to do that would completely remove my want to even play. Then changing that 4 piece kit to tune up for jazz would mean head changes and a complete retuning of the kit. God forbid I want to go back to playing prog as that means starting all over. The sheer amount of time I would be putting in to setting up, tearing down, head changes, tuning, etc just to play for an hour would be completely prohibitive.

Thats the problem that I wrestle with more so than having all the stuff. This is my justification for having all the gear. When the 3 kits were set up and the rest of the gear was on shelves, I actually felt really comfortable with it. It was just the packing up of everything that made me realize, "holy crap, this is a lot of gear." The good thing about all this packing is that I think I can say, "no more gear." If I want something new, it has to be a direct 1 for 1 swap. If I want a new ride cymbal, I have to sell a ride cymbal. If I want a new kit, I have to sell one of my other kits.
I think your ok with your gear for awhile longer. You really seem to undecided to make such a big decision and you don’t have a great reason either, except that it’s a lot of gear. But it’s manageable when it’s set up, so that’s cool.

You’ll know when it’s time to part with your stuff, it’ll hit you right between the eyes! There won’t be any doubt, but right now there is, so hang in there.

mebeatee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m purging as well , my goal is 2 kits .
I feel pretty good . And I really don’t want
anymore ...
Now the problem is which 2 kits to keep....
That's an easy fix.....keep them all until you figure out which 2.

Or meanwhile....

I always bookmark these threads to show my wife. I only have one kit, though it has four bass drums now, four rack toms, three floor toms and a matching snare lol.
I like this approach...all of them together is only 1 kit........
bt

richardh253

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
We did the downsizing event last winter, but started 18 months prior unloading stuff. I waited too long on the basement full of drums etc. -- I managed to move out all of the kits (started with 18) but was still boxing/shipping the week we moved. Unloaded a lot of snares but still have 12 sitting in a closet that need to be listed, shipped etc. Plus a dozen cymbals. At the end, I ended up posting "free" on CL for extra stands, heads, pedals, throne, cases, you name it. It would have taken forever to list and sell all of the "small things." I'm glad they went to good homes. I was sort of aware as I was collecting and holding on to things (like 4 drawers full of odds and ends - half a consolette, three Leedy lugs, extra BDC throw-off, etc - donated all that to Maxwells in NY, they've been very good to me) that this was gonna be a burden/pain. I did consignment on a number of kits and snares and while you take in fewer dollars, it saves a lot of work (shout-out to Brandon @ Philly Drum https://www.phillydrum.com/ & Richard King in MD https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kingsmusic-USA-Vintage-Drums/589160654775712, thanks guys! And Brandon has my Rogers DynaSonic re-issue in WMP up now if you're interested....).

But if I could go back, yeah, I'd have tried a little harder to send something out when something new came in, and I would have started unloading stuff at least three years before we planned to move. Same with my books, (60 boxes given or thrown away) but that's another discussion group.

When I scroll thru my drum photos of what's gone, honestly, I appreciate I had it all but I have no pangs of loss. Twenty years of accumulating and enjoying, it's OK. I'm glad others are enjoying. Like everything else, you can't take it with you. And approaching age 68, like others noted, yes, simplifying life with a lot less "stuff" is good.

No complaints. I have my one kit & one set of cymbals and one set of hardware and one pedal and some snare drums I just like having because I love them. So I wouldn't say 'I had a problem' but I would say I should have given more thought to 'when the day comes...'

[ And I still have way too many Springsteen bootlegs on CD if anyone's interested, yours for the shipping :) ]

Good luck sorting it all out!

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now the problem is which 2 kits to keep....
That's an easy fix.....keep them all until you figure out which 2.

Or meanwhile....

I like this approach...all of them together is only 1 kit........
bt
I’ve got that covered, both kits I’m keeping are “ shell banks “

Old PIT Guy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Out of line is relative, to a point, and only you can make that determination. Someone with one room full of gear may be fine, while someone else may realize the focus has become gear rather than playing and they're concerned. Someone else could have a house full of stuff, some of that gear they've forgotten they have, and they manage to keep playing with no issues other than one of storage. Someone else with a full house may be living in shame of people coming in the house and seeing it so they rent a storage locker.

One thing is for sure, having a discussion about this on a forum that's at minimum half about acquiring gear is really the worst place to have the discussion. You might as well be handing out 1 hour AA chips in a bar.

Old Beginner

Reaction score
That’s a good idea. I’ve done that with some of my more collectible stuff that my wife would have no idea about.

At 40, I didn’t think about scaling back anything. I think it happens in our older years as we finally realize that stuff is just stuff and it gets tiring messing with it, moving it, storing it etc. And sadly, you begin to wonder about your mortality and how much longer your going to actually need or use all that stuff. Other thoughts become far more important.
I’m on my third assist to friends and relatives who had to cope with the stuff left to them when their loved ones passed. Even the most organized estate of the three was still a burden because of too much stuff. Time to get some of your stuff into younger drummers’ hands!

Rivet Gun

Reaction score
I do worry that if I were to randomly get in a car accident and die that my wife would be absolutely clueless about what to do with the drums. I suppose now that I have all of this packed up and inventoried, I should start putting price tags to things in case there is some sort of unexpected situation.
I've been getting pressure to do the same.
"I don't know what any of it is, or what it's worth. At least we should have a list or something."

Now I sleep with one eye open...

michaelocalypse

Reaction score
I have one set that could be split into 2 or 3 sets. I need another hi-hat stand and throne to have 3 legit sets. Unlike you, I recently segregated them into two sets (with full hardware, bags) to sell everything. I set a fair price point for them, but have only gotten a couple low ball offers on one. I might add cymbals to them and adjust the price to see if I get any offers. I'd like to be rid of everything, but it's also not worth it to just give them away.

But yeah dude, it's a lot more stuff than you think when you pull it all out and take inventory.

m.clover

Reaction score
I have a 3200 sq ft house with a two car garage and a storage shed. I still only have one kit (four drums), hardware and cymbals. Worked for me for 52 years of drumming. No need for me to clutter things up.
Right you are. You can only play one set at a time.

Reactions: MBB