I think I have a problem... But is it really that bad?

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
One thing is for sure, having a discussion about this on a forum that's at minimum half about acquiring gear is really the worst place to have the discussion. You might as well be handing out 1 hour AA chips in a bar.
I think this is the perfect place to have the discussion. It doesn't make sense to speak with people who don't even know how to play an instrument. To them, they may think having more than a 4 piece kit with 2 cymbals and a hi hat is overkill. They may think something that takes up more space than a small corner is too much. They may think having something that makes so much noise and disturbs the whole family is not worth it. But talking it over with people who keep their GAS in check all the way to those who have waaaaaayyyyyy too much gear is good for discussion. As you mention it's all relative, but having the conversation amongst our peers gives us a better perspective on the situation. Like I said in a previous post, after reading other peoples responses I feel that I am riding a fine line of "too much gear". Its good to hear other people's thoughts, especially those who have been in my situation, or worse, and came to the conclusion that they needed to pair back their gear. I'm not ready to start selling all my gear just yet, but maybe in 3-5 years I'll downsize a little bit.

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think if you have that many drums but you are not using them, just buying and keeping then yea that’s a problem, especially if you can’t get yourself to sell any of it. However, if you have the space and you have a good reason to keep each one of them then you are good, you know why you have them and why you keep them.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think this is the perfect place to have the discussion. It doesn't make sense to speak with people who don't even know how to play an instrument. To them, they may think having more than a 4 piece kit with 2 cymbals and a hi hat is overkill. They may think something that takes up more space than a small corner is too much. They may think having something that makes so much noise and disturbs the whole family is not worth it. But talking it over with people who keep their GAS in check all the way to those who have waaaaaayyyyyy too much gear is good for discussion. As you mention it's all relative, but having the conversation amongst our peers gives us a better perspective on the situation. Like I said in a previous post, after reading other peoples responses I feel that I am riding a fine line of "too much gear". Its good to hear other people's thoughts, especially those who have been in my situation, or worse, and came to the conclusion that they needed to pair back their gear. I'm not ready to start selling all my gear just yet, but maybe in 3-5 years I'll downsize a little bit.
I think you would be better served reading medical literature on the topic of hoarding. Perhaps even talking to a psychiatrist who specializes in Hoarding Disorder. I'm not saying you have hoarding disorder but I don't think this is a great place to get a diagnosis if you do. You will just get a lot of approval of your situation because, quite frankly, a lot of people here have bad cases of GAS so it is like one drunk asking another drunk if they think they have a problem.

Having a couple of family members with varying degrees of hoarding disorder, one severe and another well on their way, I can say with some authority that it starts out small and over time takes over your life. I have struggled with acquiring too many things and have made behavior changes to make sure don't end up with a problem.

These give a pretty good overview.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hoarding-disorder/symptoms-causes/syc-20356056

https://adaa.org/understanding-anxiety/obsessive-compulsive-disorder-ocd/hoarding-basics

drumsforme

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had 20 kits and forty snare drums.......Now I am down to 13 kits and 30 snares.....I feel that I'm making progress. I'm 66 years old. Before the Pandemic doing about 50 gigs a year. I remember 2010-2018 doing close to 80 gigs a year.......Last gig was March 13th 2020. The next one is Dec. 5th outdoors. Things change, then we rethink things. Sometimes our biggest problem was and still is- buying the same thing multiple times, because of not thinking before you sell. Gotta stop doing that........ Here's what I have now.:

2007 Gretsch USA Custom 20,10,12,14,16
2013 Gretsch USA Brooklyn 22,10,12, 14,16
1974 Gretsch Stop Sign kit-20", 12", 14"
1962 Gretsch Round Badge Kit- 20", 12",14"
1977 Slingerland Niles 4 pc. kit 22,13,16
1965 Slingerland Niles 20,14,12 -
1989 Pearl MLX Maple 20,10,12,14-
1987 Pearl BLX Birch 22,10,12,13,14,16
2000 DW Workshop Series 22,10,12,14
2014 DW Design Series 4 pc bop kit 20,12,14
2010 Mapex Saturn-20,10,12,14
2001 Donoho Maple Kit -20,12,14
1984 Vintage Tama Imperialstar 22,12,13,16

It always seems I get called to co-host a jam (well, not lately) .......The vintage Imperialstar is perfect for that.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Personally, I don't hoard objects or things and my home is usually pretty neat & tidy, nor do I consider my drum collection as "hoarding" - it's a collection.

Perhaps some pieces may only get played every couple years, or maybe never, and that's fine with me because it's a collection. But I do rotate every kit and snare or cymbal at whim, which is as often as I please - that's my reasoning to justify owning a drum collection. Sonic variety. Which I have.

Thing is, this year I decided the collection is complete. A decision I reached after the gigging slowed down and then completely stopped.

But I still feel blessed to have the collection. Even if it's only for my own enjoyment at home for the time being. It makes me happy.

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think you would be better served reading medical literature on the topic of hoarding. Perhaps even talking to a psychiatrist who specializes in Hoarding Disorder. I'm not saying you have hoarding disorder but I don't think this is a great place to get a diagnosis if you do. You will just get a lot of approval of your situation because, quite frankly, a lot of people here have bad cases of GAS so it is like one drunk asking another drunk if they think they have a problem.

Having a couple of family members with varying degrees of hoarding disorder, one severe and another well on their way, I can say with some authority that it starts out small and over time takes over your life. I have struggled with acquiring too many things and have made behavior changes to make sure don't end up with a problem.

These give a pretty good overview.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hoarding-disorder/symptoms-causes/syc-20356056

https://adaa.org/understanding-anxiety/obsessive-compulsive-disorder-ocd/hoarding-basics
I'm sorry to hear of your family members having these issues. I've only seen video of hoarders but have not really experienced it myself. From what I see, yikes. That does not look like an easy thing to deal with.

I dont think I have a hoarding problem at all. GAS got me for 3-4 years as I bought and sold all kinds of kits trying to find the ones that spoke to me the most. That GAS is gone, for now at least, and I'm left with the kits that I really think work for me. I also have a love for building and creating, so I have some stave snare shells and a set of beech shells that I am looking to build. Finding the time to build them has been my problem for the last couple years. I'm guessing that when I do end up building my beech kit, one of my current kits will have to go. That will be a bit sad as they all sound really good and bring me happiness when I play them. But thats just what will have to happen in order to keep me from having more gear than I can actually play.

tubelugs

Reaction score
Anyway, that's my story after a week of packing up my drums. If any of you feel the same way, or have had similar experiences share them below.
Acquired over 20 years; when it came time to move I had three sets (one is a 12-pc CF) and over 100 snares. Slowly selling now; hope to someday get it down to “just” a set or two and a couple dozen snares. At the current rate it will be finished by whoever handles my “estate”!

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Acquired over 20 years; when it came time to move I had three sets (one is a 12-pc CF) and over 100 snares. Slowly selling now; hope to someday get it down to “just” a set or two and a couple dozen snares. At the current rate it will be finished by whoever handles my “estate”!
Not being critical at all, and I haven’t been doing this as long as you, or many here, but I can’t get my head wrapped around 100+ snares!!! I mean how many different sounds, woods, hardware can you want? At some point it just doesn’t make a difference.

Your leaving a full time job to your executor! :lol:

another_drummer

Reaction score
I‘d say your trouble (not problem, just trouble) is nostalgia. I would presume from your age you started playing the drums some 25 years ago when the big kits (two kicks, 15+ cymbals) were top of the zeitgeist.

It‘s not hoarding, it‘s midlife crisis. Try to accept maturing and to let go off stuff.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing I used to know...at the car lot- we had to buy the cars at auction and sometimes from private sellers right? and when
Things were Slow...

My dad would take the car "we had the most money in" (back to Auction.
And it used to kill me " You're talking the best car we have off the lot and back to auction"

Why? We had the most money in it.
So looking at our collections; Our accumulations;
What items, do we have the most (a lot) (no pun) of money "in"?

Now those (are the ones) you may want to dispose (sell off) of.
I may have a few Items but I don't have a lot on money in (any one of) them.

So does it make sense to sell them. Ummm.....No.