I think I joined a band today

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Had our first jam session. Guitarist and I locked up like we'd been playing a lifetime together. It's so refreshing to play with other musicians who understand time is their responsibility too. It just felt perfect. He's a great singer as well. Joining us was a bassist and a female vocalist. We called different covers from Fleetwood Mac to Donna Summers to The Eurythmics, to you name it, and we were pretty happy with how things were shaping up. We're all in for another session on Sunday, this time we're going to have a list of songs to learn at home, and see how it goes when we all do our homework. I think this could be a really versatile, bookable band.
Congrats man! Those feelings of elation when you find some people with whom you click musically are just the best. Enjoy!

And I hope the magic gets to operate for a long while.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update. First bass player didn't work out. We tried another bass player yesterday. He was a more accomplished player...but he would not stay in the pocket and play for the song...Nice guy, but he wanted to play lead bass, and honestly didn't seem to be in good enough health to last an entire gig. He did call Stratus though, which was unexpected and fun, lol. The dude could play, he's just not into what this project is. Finding a good reliable bass player sucks.

Last edited:

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ah, that sucks - why didn't the first guy work out?

Back in the day and I think it's not changed much, bassists (and drummers moreso) were impossible to find. I can remember us almost begging guitarists to switch to base because guitarists then were a dime a dozen - even the decent ones.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah, that sucks - why didn't the first guy work out?
Had scheduling problems, and he really wasn't good enough for us to work around them. We're being picky, but we've got to get this right.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Had scheduling problems, and he really wasn't good enough for us to work around them. We're being picky, but we've got to get this right.
Life's too short to play with people you don't click with.

In my area, a lot of my guitarist friends switch periodicaly to bass to maximize gigging opportunities. A few of those guys are actually more fun to play with than many bass players I know (in an originals context anyway) because they often don't play the usual bass cliché licks/have a different approach and feel.

My brother is a guitar player and a very in-demand producer. He plays bass on most of the albums he produces, including mine. And each time I hire a new bass player or have to play with a house band, I always have commments from the bass player about how fun it is for them to play parts that go to some unusual places and are somewhat more melodic than what they'd have thought of themselves. Well, these lines come from a non-bassist, so...

Maybe you could have a guitarist friend switch over...