I Think I Want a Rogers Kit

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
"Sound alone is only a small part of that quest". No offense, but that's one of the saddest statements I've ever heard a drummer make.

Not in my opinion. Are you really after a name?...reliving a childhood fantasy?...want to be like Bonham? If that's the case, go for it, buy whatever makes you happy. For me, when I think of Bonham, Roach, Williams, Helm, Jordan, etc, its their sound that impacts me first and foremost.

I play for a living, and SOUND always takes priority. This may surprise some people, but not all 70's 3 ply Ludwig's sound amazing, or Gretsch Roundbadges , or 50's Leedy's, etc. Hopefully I didn't burst some bubbles.

Rarely do I have a final say in what drums (sounds) I use, this is often chosen by; the style of music I'm playing, producers, engineers, artists who hire me, band leaders, etc. Oddly, this has been very freeing, and opened my eyes (ears) to other sounds my own personal biases wouldn't have experienced, otherwise.

"Great sound? That's easy to find". Is it? "Great sound" is subjective. Have ten drummers listen to a kit, and you'll get ten different opinions. Not easy.

This goes back to my original statement. One must play various options to determine what is a "great sound" to THEM.
Nothing like a guy who races professionally showing up to water all over a group of guys on the front porch discussing how fun it would be to own a classic Mopar... :rolleyes:

squidart

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Those catalogs weren't likely "pilfered" back then. You'd just walk in and the catalogs were there for the taking. Or you'd simply sent a kid-scrawled letter (or some little coupon cut out of Boys' Life or whatever) to the manufacturer and they'd send you a 100+ page catalog for FREE! And then you were hooked, really hooked. 1960s to at least early '70s just about any company of any sort would send you stuff for free, and in a lot of cases they'd just keep sending you updated stuff. Really and truly. It worked for me back then. Estes Model Rockets, Edmund Scientific, Lafayette Electronics, Allied Electronics, Radio Shack, Olson Electronics.... I bet stuff still goes to my old hometown street address in my name decades after my parents sold that house.

Jeremy
Yeah I was foolin’ for drama’s sake. I am of that age as well and bought my share of Lifesize Frankensteins and Sea Monkeys. BTW, you forgot Heathkit.

gwbasley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
OK, so before things start getting contentious, let me see what I have learned...DanRH has two gorgeous kits, (I really like that Blue Onyx), I SHOULD buy a Rogers kit, (and I do want to), also sound is subjective, (hmmmm...). What I don't know about is Beavertail / B&B, Dayton / Fullerton, Swiv-o collets...good / bad...???...that kind of thing. I can talk all day long on Ludwig stuff but plead ignorance on Rogers...so a little help here will be much appreciated.

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Go for a Dayton or Cleveland set. Most common are the Celebrity and Headliner. You won't be disappointed!

drummertom

Staff member
Reaction score
Cleveland or Dayton with Beavertails. The b&b lugs are prone to cracking. I currently own two Cleveland kits and one Dayton. All beaver tail lugs. They are fantastic kits.

james_c_marks

Reaction score
I somehow wound up with an early 60s set of Yorktown Marching Drums. B & B lugs. The kind of things a real Rogers collector sneers at...

This is the best souding Kit I've owned. After many Ludwigs and Tamas. My favorites.

Old 3 ply with rerings. Flat Gray interior on the 28" BD and 15" Floor, and the 14" rack is even an old flat black. Early 60s stuff.

I put Vintage Emperors top and bottom.

Punch. Tone. Complexity.

This week I'm expecting a 14"x10" marching snare to match.

Am I crazy?

Last edited:

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I started playing in '77 & got my first pro kit in '84 and up here in Eastern Canada there weren't as many Rogers to begin with. Ludwig was still in schools, but was slowly being replaced by a lot of Premier, who ran the drumline market at the time. An early teacher I had was into vintage Gretsch & Meazzi, but at that age I'd never touched a Rogers (or a Slingerland for that matter).

About a decade ago I snagged my first Rogers kit, a rewrapped Starlighter players kit & right now my 2 kits are my 4th & 5th Rogers I've owned. My 14x20 Powertone is the best little kick I've ever owned. And those catalogues I missed out on as a kid have been thoroughly studied since!

gkrk

Reaction score
I somehow wound up with an early 60s set of Yorktown Marching Drums. B & B lugs. The kind of things a real Rogers collector sneers at...

This is the best souding Kit I've owned. After many Ludwigs and Tamas. My favorites.

Old 3 ply with rerings. Flat Gray interior on the 28" BD and 15" Floor, and the 14" rack is even an old flat black. Early 60s stuff.

I put Vintage Emperors top and bottom.

Punch. Tone. Complexity.

This week I'm expecting a 14"x10" marching snare to match.

Am I crazy?
Any pictures of that set up?

Trilock_Gurtu

Reaction score
Funny....that's exactly what we all thought about your post...lol.

You really went full bore on it...

Lol
How was I triggered? Please, qualify your statement. I don't recall swearing at anyone, yelling (using caps), belittling, etc. If my opinion is contrary to yours, or others, that isn't being "triggered", its merely a different position, nothing more.

I look forward to you qualifying your remarks. Inb4 more NASCAR references and "lol".

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
What if you "get a Rogers" set and your foot still has no ooomph..

Have you explored all possibilities with the bass drum you have now; wooden beater, different heads, etc different pedals etc "Big felt beater" ...

marko52

Piper At the Gates of Dawn
Reaction score
GWB, if you've been primarily a Ludwig player, I think you'll find Rogers drum sizes a little odd---lots of 20,12,16's and 20,12,13,16's. If you're after the highly-regarded Rogers 20" kick drum & want a 12 & 14 to go with it, they seem less common than Downbeat sets. Also, the names of their catalog kits are not determined by shell sizes like Ludwig, but instead by the number, style, & placement of mounts on the bass drum. Kind of an odd way to name a kit, IMO......marko

gwbasley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What if you "get a Rogers" set and your foot still has no ooomph..

Have you explored all possibilities with the bass drum you have now; wooden beater, different heads, etc different pedals etc "Big felt beater" ...
Pretty much set on 20, 12, 13, 16 ... I think it's called their "Londoner" kit. That would be almost identical to my Ludwig set, except for my 15"FT.

Reactions: JDA

Latest posts