I think I've seen it all now, DW Tuning table!

shilohjim

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If John Good is some sort of tuning guru, why do all the drums in the videos featuring him sound like sheeet?

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Markkuliini said:
How have I gotten along all these years (since 1952) without one of these things?
Because you don't do lot of maintenance, tuning or building. If you did, maybe having a rental company, then you would definitely benefit a dedicated table with a turning plate to make changing heads and fix ups a breeze.
NO YOU ARE WRONG !!!! IF I DON"T NEED IT IT CAN"T BE USEFUL AND I"M GOING TO COMPLAIN ABOUT IT ALL YEAR !!!! AND IT"S ONLY MARCH.

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
jaymandude said:
How have I gotten along all these years (since 1952) without one of these things?
Because you don't do lot of maintenance, tuning or building. If you did, maybe having a rental company, then you would definitely benefit a dedicated table with a turning plate to make changing heads and fix ups a breeze.
NO YOU ARE WRONG !!!! IF I DON"T NEED IT IT CAN"T BE USEFUL AND I"M GOING TO COMPLAIN ABOUT IT ALL YEAR !!!! AND IT"S ONLY MARCH.

:D

DWHOARD

Reaction score
I use my tuning table almost every day. I have a lot of drums to clean and this thing is a serious help when it comes to stripping/cleaning/assembling.

Cant imaging life without my JG tuning table. :)

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
DWHOARD said:
I use my tuning table almost every day. I have a lot of drums to clean and this thing is a serious help when it comes to stripping/cleaning/assembling.

NO NO NO. Don't you get it ? That is the wrong answer completely. Please go back and edit your response and include these things. Please. We should not have this conversation again.

1) First and foremost criticize John Good

2) Declare this thing useless

3) Declare it over priced, you can get the same thing at the dollar store on the other side of the tracks

4) Question anyone else you uses it.

5) Find some way to trash the sound of DW drums. There are many, use google if necessary

esooy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
jaymandude said:

NO NO NO. Don't you get it ? That is the wrong answer completely. Please go back and edit your response and include these things. Please. We should not have this conversation again.

1) First and foremost criticize John Good

2) Declare this thing useless

3) Declare it over priced, you can get the same thing at the dollar store on the other side of the tracks

4) Question anyone else you uses it.

5) Find some way to trash the sound of DW drums. There are many, use google if necessary
Don't forget to mention Ludwig drums and Ringo.

W&A Player

DFO Master
Reaction score
jaymandude said:

Hasn't anyone else set the drum in need of re-heading or re-tensioning on an old fashioned drum throne with a seat that swivels completely around lazy Susan style?

esooy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have the easy answer to all this. I'd bet dollars, maybe even 10 of them, that people would see their tuning tables during factory tours and ask where they could get one. There were enough people that asked so JG said what the heck, let's make them and sell them. There are probably a lot of them out on tour with drum techs.

I say this because I have some gizmos that people have asked me about. Some I sell (a snare bed cutter that is nearly $400 - GASP!), and others I don't because I have better things to do (a gizmo that tunes all the rods simultaneously on a snare drum and is much, much better than anything else that's out there right now).

As a side note, the circular "lazy susan" bearing on the DW item is about 10,000x better than your average hardware store lazy susan. They're not inexpensive either.

ian.thomas

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm just posting so years from now I can say, "I was there during The Great 'I think I've seen it all now, DW Tuning table!' Post of 2017!

agogobil

Drum Czardine
Reaction score
The table I put my glasses on is tuned to C#, my knife table is tuned to B#, and the table where I sit and ponder stuff is tuned to G.

TDM

Yapping Internet Mutt
Reaction score
xsabers said:
Wow, some hefty judgement in this thread. Here's the actual story though. This product was created as a shop tool for DW. People saw it on a video and wanted DW to offer it for sale, so they did. They chose a price point that covers their overhead and put it out to the public to either buy or not. They didn't ask to be in the drum shop tool making business; they simply responded to customer demand. If it's not worth the asking price to you, then don't buy it. If you can build a comparable DIY unit, then do it. There is a lot that goes into setting a price on a product, especially if making that product takes resources away from your primary production line.
^ I think this was quoted several times in the thread and yet it still seems worth repeating. As others noted, if you're changing dozens (possibly hundreds) of drum heads a day, a tool like this becomes invaluable. Would I pay $200 for a tool that protects my body and makes me considerably more productive? Absolutely, yes! And indeed, while I could build a drum turntable myself, I might not have time to do so. My time equates to money, too. So yes, I might well buy a tool like this, if I had the need for it.

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
I've actually reconsidered my position. As Buddy never used one (as far as we know), this product has no practical purpose. So that got me thinking...(danger zone), mankind got by just fine without toilets for thousands of years, so there obviously is no need for that item either. The landscapers won't be pleased but from now on, I poop in the yard!

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
I see the eBay listing now has it at $149, not $175. Market forces at work.

If they had initially priced it at $99 , I think they would have sold a lot more of them, getting the DW logo in front of a lot more people, which, seriously, is a good marketing move.

However, if they really want to make the product hot, they need to put a real DW badge on there somewhere, including a serial number...

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
W&A Player said:

Hasn't anyone else set the drum in need of re-heading or re-tensioning on an old fashioned drum throne with a seat that swivels completely around lazy Susan style?

I have done it. It's always a choice if I want to be on my knees and get them sore and dirty, or standing up and keeping my back at least at 45 degree angle and wearing it out
Tables are higher than chairs for a reason. :)

harry

Reaction score
I paid around $17 for this at Lowes. I have a small one in the shop and love it. This one is 18" and with my bad back and knees...never will I be bending over or crawling around on the floor again.
I may even stencil Ludwig on it... so add another dollar. View attachment 314788

Attachments

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
harry said:
I paid around $17 for this at Lowes. I have a small one in the shop and love it. This one is 18" and with my bad back and knees...never will I be bending over or crawling around on the floor again.
I may even stencil Ludwig on it... so add another dollar.
You got a dog for $17?!

What a great Deal !

:scratch: I didn't even know Lowes carried dogs.

Latest posts