I think my first house studio kit is about to be complete

Todzilla

Reaction score
Hi,

Singer/Songwriter here with a nice home studio. I play some drums and also needed a nice-ish kit for visiting drummers.

I've been piecing a kit together for a while. Let me know what you think:

PDP CX Series 10/12/14/22 with snare (this is the last big piece I hope to grab for $300 tomorrow)
A 1965 Ludwig Jazz Festival Black Oyster Pearl 5.5 X 14 snare (looking to sell for big $$$, BTW)
A 1969 Gretsch snare 5.5 X 14
A set of 15" Zildjian New Beats
A 22" Constantinople Pingy Ride
A 18" Zildjian A Crash
Miscellaneous mid level hardware

I might get another crash at some point and I'd love a very nice Brass over Nickle snare, possibly a 16" floor tom. Since the drummers I have over are generally as old and crotchety as me (61 and fading), I need to pander to them with a good kit, possibly good enough to record on.

Your thoughts?

Marquisjohnson22

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think for your application, a PDP CX kit will sound great with good heads that are tuned well. Those North American maple shells can sound really good. I've had a few that sounded great and many were surprised by how well they sounded and played.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'd bet the drummers coming to record in your studio will be bringing their own cymbals. If you're trying to make it easier on them, make sure you have enough cymbal stands to accommodate their choices.

Latest posts