I think this is it! Cons and a Cluster

Josh Vibert

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I received my 20" Cluster Crash Saturday. I think it's everything I hoped it would be. Sounds great from behind the kit and on "tape" as well. I also flipped the kit back around in my office space. A little more crowded in the room, but everything sounds better not facing the wall. Just a bunch of noodling to try and get an idea of the sounds, but I think this setup is going to work great!

Starts out with the 20" cluster on the left and 22" K Con MTL on the right. Then, swap the right side out for a 20" K Con Ren. Then finish with the two Cons paired: 20" Renaissance on the left and 22" Medium Thin Low on the right. DW Collectors, 6.5" Black Beauty, and some 60's 800gr 14" hats. Into a single Blue Snowball USB mic and Garageband. Need to raise the mic a bit next time...little too much kick coming through.

GoMarkGo

Reaction score
It all sounds great. My biased opinion is that it sounds best with the two KCons paired. The cluster crash is a great cymbal, but I also have a 22 MTL and 20 Renaissance that I use together all the time when going with a two cymbal set up.
You can’t go wrong with your line up.

I constantly change between 20 MTH, 20 Ren, 22 Ren and 22 MTL.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
Drums sound good. I'd go Ren left, Cluster right. I thought the MTL got lost in the mix and is too low as much as I love the 22 MTL's. The Cluster is a 20" K crash, right? Interesting....

GoMarkGo

Reaction score
You could throw one more stand into the mix...Ren Left, MTL right, cluster far right.

I recently bought a softer felt bass drum beater (Vic Firth) and it solves the “too much kick” problem, especially for jazz....though wouldn’t be ideal for rock.

Nice playing by the way!