I took another drummer's gig today

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got a call yesterday morning asking if I would fill in for benefit show. The regular drummer was flaking out in some way (not sure how). I said sure! What are the songs? They said, dunno we'll just wing it. So naturally, I agreed to that. Three hours of classic rock, what could go wrong? Well, not much surprisingly. It went amazingly well, even though I I've never heard half the songs we played, and never actually played most of them. I've been asked to play a series of gigs over the next few months after how today went. It's amazing how far owning drums and a vehicle can get you. :)

But holy crap was it hot. I thought it was indoors, but it ended up being outside. Luckily we had some canopies for shade and a supply of water.

There were a lot of phones taking video today, hopefully some of those videos come my way.

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A 10” fan is part of my regular setup. Indoors or out, all seasons. Pick one up and make it part of your kit. ;)
Exactly! There are some of them that have a couple of outlets built into the side of the fan, very useful if you have an iPad or other device that you may need for monitor mixes, charts and/or song lists, backing tracks, etc.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another cool thing was a local R&B singer we'd (well, the guitarist) been talking to came by to check it out, and we're going to do a show with her in late October. I've been trying to get some stuff going for a while now, and it's finally coming together.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
What songs?
Some stuff was standard fare. Tequila Sunrise, Mary Jane's Last Dance, Skynyrd. So of course I knew those. But then quite a few deep cuts from artists like Bob Seger, and other less commonly heard songs. Stuff I probably would have know if I grew up in in 70s, but got no airplay during my lifetime.

We closed with Freebird. Never thought I would actually play that song in public. I never really gave much thought to learning it, and if you were paying any attention it would have been obvious. But after three hours of mostly non stop playing, it was fine. And a workout.

Jay-Dee

Reaction score
Some stuff was standard fare. Tequila Sunrise, Mary Jane's Last Dance, Skynyrd. So of course I knew those. But then quite a few deep cuts from artists like Bob Seger, and other less commonly heard songs. Stuff I probably would have know if I grew up in in 70s, but got no airplay during my lifetime.

We closed with Freebird. Never thought I would actually play that song in public. I never really gave much thought to learning it, and if you were paying any attention it would have been obvious. But after three hours of mostly non stop playing, it was fine. And a workout.
Did you at least manage to remember the 32 bar snare roll with cymbal crashes during the guitar solo?

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you at least manage to remember the 32 bar snare roll with cymbal crashes during the guitar solo?
I remembered the crashes, but kept playing a backbeat.

Last edited:

drumflyer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Good on you Tornado! It’s great to play with other musicians and for a crowd! I just recently got with a band after just surfing on Bandmix, sent an email to the leader and now have 42 gigs between now and May. Learned 55 songs for the first gig this Friday in 2 1/2 weeks. Best of luck and have fun! It’s what it’s all about!

JZ

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe someone can help me with figure out the name of a song with this tiny number of clues. You guys are amazing at this.

Played a song, singer/guitarist said it was a rumba and switched to a shuffle in parts. Asked me if I could play a rumba, I shrugged my shoulders and gave my best high school jazz band version of what I thought he was looking for. He said, yeah, that's it, i'll cue you on the shuffle, lol. I kind of want to find the actual song so I can listen to it.

notINtheband

Reaction score
Maybe someone can help me with figure out the name of a song with this tiny number of clues. You guys are amazing at this.

Played a song, singer/guitarist said it was a rumba and switched to a shuffle in parts. Asked me if I could play a rumba, I shrugged my shoulders and gave my best high school jazz band version of what I thought he was looking for. He said, yeah, that's it, i'll cue you on the shuffle, lol. I kind of want to find the actual song so I can listen to it.
Ok gonna throw out some possibilities I could see where both could be worked in, but just some rough ideas in a classic rock set;
Hold the Line - Toto
La Grange - ZZ Top
Tush - ZZ Top
Cold Shot - Stevie Ray Vaughan
Pride and Joy - Stevie Ray Vaughan
Bad to the Bone - George Thorogood
I Drink Alone - George Thorogood
Moving on Over - George Thorogood
Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin' - Journey
Lido Shuffle - Boz Skaggs
Boy Are Back in Town - Thin Lizzy
Smokin' in the Boys Room - Motely Crue/Brownsville Station

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok gonna throw out some possibilities I could see where both could be worked in, but just some rough ideas in a classic rock set;
Hold the Line - Toto
La Grange - ZZ Top
Tush - ZZ Top
Cold Shot - Stevie Ray Vaughan
Pride and Joy - Stevie Ray Vaughan
Bad to the Bone - George Thorogood
I Drink Alone - George Thorogood
Moving on Over - George Thorogood
Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin' - Journey
Lido Shuffle - Boz Skaggs
Boy Are Back in Town - Thin Lizzy
Smokin' in the Boys Room - Motely Crue/Brownsville Station
Thanks, but it definitely wasn't any of those. Had kind of a Santana - "Black Magic Woman" feel. I asked the other guitarist that I actually know, and he didn't know the name of it either.

notINtheband

Reaction score
Thanks, but it definitely wasn't any of those. Had kind of a Santana - "Black Magic Woman" feel. I asked the other guitarist that I actually know, and he didn't know the name of it either.
Ok one more guess;
Somebody That I Used To Know by Gotye

bbunks

DFO Master
Reaction score
Was thinking Santana’s “Sensitive Kind” but there’s no shuffle…unless the band added that.

How about a hint with the lyrics?

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was thinking Santana’s “Sensitive Kind” but there’s no shuffle…unless the band added that.

How about a hint with the lyrics?
I really couldn't hear them.