I want this GRETSCH RENOWN set but it has a 23" bass drum... CAN I GET HEADS??

mydadisjr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have been searching for and dreaming about a Gretsch Renown kit in a sunburst finish. I found this one that I really like... it has a ton of toms that I could resell to recoup my losses BUT I know those 23" bass heads are getting scarcer than hen's teeth.

here's the description:

Broken in heads
1 Kick Drum: 23in;
1 Floor Tom: 14in;
5 Rack Tom’s: 8in; 10in; 12in; 14in; 13in;

(and yes, this description does come from a DRUM MEASURING EXPERT at GUITAR CENTER... there is NO WAY that a guy at GC would measure a bass drum incorrectly.)

000000116755281-00-500x500.jpg
download (1).png

Last edited:

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah that's gonna be a typo.

If the price is right, grab it. Renown is a great set of drums.

Last edited:

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Extremely skeptical that that bass is 23 but even if that is the case, Remo offers a whole lot of options from Emperors to Ambassadors to Powerstrokes in 23. Anyone who carries Remo can order them for you.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would contact the buyer and have them make sure it's a 23. I seriously doubt it and like everyone said, it's almost a given that it's a 22. I've never heard of anyone other than DW offering a 23.

mydadisjr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I dunno you guys... them dudes at GC know how to measure drums. I took my YAMAHA STAGE CUSTOM bass in for them to measure the head and they said it is a 21". I took a pic there of them measuring it ... see it below.

The GC guy said I have a VERY RARE 21" bass, the only one he has ever seen. It might be one of a kind! He is gonna call REMO tomorrow. He said it would probably be a special order and might cost upwards to $500 for one head. Worth it tho!

It would be crazy to have a 21" bass and a 23" bass!

DSC_0004.JPG

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dunno you guys... them dudes at GC know how to measure drums. I took my YAMAHA STAGE CUSTOM bass in for them to measure the head and they said it is a 21". I took a pic there of them measuring it ... see it below.

The GC guy said I have a VERY RARE 21" bass, the only one he has ever seen. It might be one of a kind! He is gonna call REMO tomorrow. He said it would probably be a special order and might cost upwards to $500 for one head. Worth it tho!

It would be crazy to have a 21" bass and a 23" bass!

View attachment 485362
Who's going to take the bait? I'm not. haha

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Gretsch made a 25". But that was in 1946".

Reminds me of the truck tire guys " Got 37s on that one"
the entire diameter instead of the wheel size.
In drums the head, is the wheel size

Last edited:

cashmanbashman

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s 99.9% a 22” but if it is a 23” you can get heads. I have a 23” DW and I have had no problems. I have a extra head if times get tough I can send you.

High on Stress

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well, you know about Gretch Renouns ... probably one of those oversized drums and the regular 23 heads that come standard on all bass drums won’t fit so you’ll need to special order the 23 inches and 3 mm diameter heads. Ask your GC guy, he’ll know what I’m talking about.

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have been searching for and dreaming about a Gretsch Renown kit in a sunburst finish. I found this one that I really like... it has a ton of toms that I could resell to recoup my losses BUT I know those 23" bass heads are getting scarcer than hen's teeth.

here's the description:

Broken in heads

(and yes, this description does come from a DRUM MEASURING EXPERT at GUITAR CENTER... there is NO WAY that a guy at GC would measure a bass drum incorrectly.)

View attachment 485348 View attachment 485349
You’re cracking me up! How could a guy at GC measure wrong.

kona1984

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

here's the description:

Broken in heads

View attachment 485348 View attachment 485349
Well.... if it is indeed a '23' inch bd you could always buy wood flesh-hoops ... unglued so you can custom fit...and buy calfhide rounds ( untucked heads) and tuck your own heads. You can also have them at the Tannery tuck the heads for you. They offer tucked and untucked heads.
Yes... they are more fiddling with the tuning, but there is nothing like the tone you get with a calfhide bass drum .... toms too.
Just a thought ..

felis

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I contacted GC recently about a Classic Maple that was listed as a 20" bass drum, but it was actually a 22".

Good help is hard to get nowadays.