I want to buy myself a nice Paiste crash/ride for my birthday…

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Of those, or generally?

Of those, GB.

Those are all more “crashy” than “ridey”, IMO. I’d opt for (if 19” is a must) a 19” Dark Energy. It’s drier than any of those and therefore makes a better light ride.

More generally ...

If a 20” is on the table, Masters Dark Crash-Ride.

RyanLovesDrums

Reaction score
Of those, or generally?

Of those, GB.

Those are all more “crashy” than “ridey”, IMO. I’d opt for (if 19” is a must) a 19” Dark Energy. It’s drier than any of those and therefore makes a better light ride.

More generally ...

If a 20” is on the table, Masters Dark Crash-Ride.
I’m kinda more looking for a crash. I’ve never owned a big thin beautiful sounding crash. If I do get something, I want it to go well with two Paiste Modern Essentials cymbals I have (14” hihats and 20” ride).

Reactions: TPC

RyanLovesDrums

Reaction score
Paiste Sig Fulls are amazing. That’s what I would do if I were doing a full on Paiste setup.
I have a 18” signature fast crash that I’ve used a lot and a 16” full crash that I’ve been using recently with the ME’s and sounds great. I love hearing John JR Robinson play those 19” and 20” full crashes in the Memphis drum shop vids on YouTube. They sound great but he’s a big strong guy, they may be too much cymbal for me. I’m probably set when it comes to cymbals, too, now that I think about it. Unless a cymbal comes along that really blows my mind.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
The big sized Sig Fulls are easy to play, IMO. I had a 20” at one point, but ended up staying with my Zildjians (already had most of my collection in Zildjians). But anyways, personally I loved the Sig Fulls.

michiganice91

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If you're looking for a true crash/ride go with a 19" 602 MEDIUM.

However if you want a crash my favorites would be a regular 19" 2oo2 or 19" signature Reflector heavy full. The dark energy and modern essentials are also fantastic choices. Masters too if you want a darker smokey sound.

RyanLovesDrums

Reaction score
If you're looking for a true crash/ride go with a 19" 602 MEDIUM.

However if you want a crash my favorites would be a regular 19" 2oo2 or 19" signature Reflector heavy full. The dark energy and modern essentials are also fantastic choices. Masters too if you want a darker smokey sound.
Yeah I like the formula 602’s but they’re too pricey. Especially the paperthin 20. I just bought a masters prototype from Memphis drum shop. Nice cymbal and over $200 less.

JFBL

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
22” Paiste 2002 “Crash”.

Beautiful cymbal, extremely versatile.

tbird8450

Reaction score
I have 2002s, GBs, 602s, and a PST 7 Heavy Crash. If you're after a bright, loud, classic / hard rock sound, 2002s are tough to beat, with the PST 7 a nice, much less expensive option that will get you a lot of the way there. The GBs are a little less bright and in your face, but are more shimmery / magical, and would be happier crossing over to other musical styles. It just depends on what you're after.

RyanLovesDrums

Reaction score
I have 2002s, GBs, 602s, and a PST 7 Heavy Crash. If you're after a bright, loud, classic / hard rock sound, 2002s are tough to beat, with the PST 7 a nice, much less expensive option that will get you a lot of the way there. The GBs are a little less bright and in your face, but are more shimmery / magical, and would be happier crossing over to other musical styles. It just depends on what you're after.
Yeah I love that bright beautiful shimmery sound of that 2002 and it looks like you can ride on it but I’m also looking for a very sensitive responsive cymbal too. I’m not a rocker.

tbird8450

Reaction score
In that case I'd lean Giant Beat. They open up easier than the 2002s and tend more towards the shimmery side. The 2002s are more glassy.

RyanLovesDrums

Reaction score
In that case I'd lean Giant Beat. They open up easier than the 2002s and tend more towards the shimmery side. The 2002s are more glassy.
I just bought this one. The drummer demonstrating the cymbal doesn’t hit all parts of the cymbal so you can’t really hear all aspects of the cymbal but I think it might be pretty good. It was cheaper and lighter than all the other cymbals we’re talking about.

RyanLovesDrums

Reaction score
Not a Paiste , but you may like the Zildjian 22" K light ride. I have both a 22" and 24", love them. Very open and full truly sensitive and expressive cymbals.
Yeah a lot pros play those and from video clips I’ve watched they sound good. I had a pair of 15” k light hihats once and put them up against my Paiste hihats and liked the Paistes better so I sold the zildjians.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I like the formula 602’s but they’re too pricey. Especially the paperthin 20. I just bought a masters prototype from Memphis drum shop. Nice cymbal and over $200 less.
If you want to go Paiste, then the Prototypes are a great deal. They mimic the uber expensive Paiste lines really well for a fraction of the price. I haven't come across a bad one yet.

RyanLovesDrums

Reaction score
If you want to go Paiste, then the Prototypes are a great deal. They mimic the uber expensive Paiste lines really well for a fraction of the price. I haven't come across a bad one yet.
Yeah I’ve been trying to make a decision all week and you were in the back of my mind telling me what a great bargain the prototypes were. I can’t wait to get my new cymbal!