I want to buy myself a nice Paiste crash/ride for my birthday…

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I’ve been trying to make a decision all week and you were in the back of my mind telling me what a great bargain the prototypes were. I can’t wait to get my new cymbal!
Wow, somebody actually considered my advice! I have to tell my wife, she'll never believe it!!! :blink:

Seriously, good luck with it, I hope it's all you want it to be!

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow, somebody actually considered my advice! I have to tell my wife, she'll never believe it!!! :blink:

Seriously, good luck with it, I hope it's all you want it to be!
Thanks. By the way, is your name really Jimmy? That’s my dad’s name.

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
Of those, I really dig the GB (vid #1). That thing is smooth as butter, baby. Decent ride and bell too. It’s not easy to find a thin 19” cymbal that crashes beautifully but still has a good ride sound, AND a good bell. The nice thing about Paiste is that the cymbal you get will actually sound like the demos. None of that cymbal roulette where you spend the days between purchase and delivery chanting “please sound like the one I heard, please sound like the one I heard”, then you’re almost scared to hit it that first time… will it sound like… will it… AWW MAN, IT SOUNDS NOTHING LIKE THE DEMO!!!! I was expecting some dark, mellow magic but I got a discarded manhole cover, AGAIN. That’s the last time I make that mistake! (That is to say I’ll do it over and over and over again with seemingly no recollection of the previous times - THIS one will be different!)

I was liking the 2002 as well, but he never rode on it so I didn’t get to hear how it did at double duty.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of those, I really dig the GB (vid #1). That thing is smooth as butter, baby. Decent ride and bell too. It’s not easy to find a thin 19” cymbal that crashes beautifully but still has a good ride sound, AND a good bell. The nice thing about Paiste is that the cymbal you get will actually sound like the demos. None of that cymbal roulette where you spend the days between purchase and delivery chanting “please sound like the one I heard, please sound like the one I heard”, then you’re almost scared to hit it that first time… will it sound like… will it… AWW MAN, IT SOUNDS NOTHING LIKE THE DEMO!!!! I was expecting some dark, mellow magic but I got a discarded manhole cover, AGAIN. That’s the last time I make that mistake! (That is to say I’ll do it over and over and over again with seemingly no recollection of the previous times - THIS one will be different!)

I was liking the 2002 as well, but he never rode on it so I didn’t get to hear how it did at double duty.
Man, we've all been there!

That first stick on the cymbal is both exciting and scary at the same time! But I agree, Paiste seems consistent enough to have confidence in the sound.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'll listen to the others in a bit, but I always used my 2002 18" Medium as both a ride and crash.

Dan

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
19" GB, out of the ones listed, with the prototype a close second. I didn't care for the bells on any of them except the PST 7.

Dan

tbird8450

Reaction score
The nice thing about Paiste is that the cymbal you get will actually sound like the demos. None of that cymbal roulette where you spend the days between purchase and delivery chanting “please sound like the one I heard, please sound like the one I heard”, then you’re almost scared to hit it that first time… will it sound like… will it… AWW MAN, IT SOUNDS NOTHING LIKE THE DEMO!!!! I was expecting some dark, mellow magic but I got a discarded manhole cover, AGAIN. That’s the last time I make that mistake! (That is to say I’ll do it over and over and over again with seemingly no recollection of the previous times - THIS one will be different!)
This is a little too spot on.

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Got my new birthday cymbal. I read that’s a good idea to get some mallets and earplugs on and do long cymbal rolls and lay into the new cymbal to loosen up the metal and break it in. I think it’s a good idea. Check me out doing it ha ha.

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
:D Security!
Looks like you're fighting an intruder who won could be a place in the DFO Video Hall of Fame for this one
Between the first store demonstration and this this cymbal might wish it was never born

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Security!
Looks like you're fighting an intruder who won could be a place in the DFO Video Hall of Fame for this one
Lol. Watching the video I’m glad I didn’t break it. If I did, at least I had fun beatin’ that thing.

• Haha
Reactions: JDA

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
"don't trust everything you read on the internet!"

the pressure against the stand stem is what will kill a cymbal I think you're Safe...

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
"don't believe everything you read on the internet!"

the pressure against the stand stem is what will kill a cymbal I think you're Safe...
So you don’t believe in that cymbal breaking- in process thing?

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
So you don’t believe in that cymbal breaking- in process thing?
it's ridiculous ( my opinion.) but you're Ok ! : )

And even if true ...you want it to build occur gently over time..
What's or Why the rush... nah. I think it's horse mayonnaise or waste of time
But you're ok : )

Last edited:

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got my new birthday cymbal. I read that’s a good idea to get some mallets and earplugs on and do long cymbal rolls and lay into the new cymbal to loosen up the metal and break it in. I think it’s a good idea. Check me out doing it ha ha.
Well, it looks like you had some fun there, but I agree with Joe, a break-in for a cymbal is pretty ridiculous. Any sound difference that beating the cymbal would produce would be so minute you would need some kind of machine to tell you the difference. Once it's built and finished, it's finished.