Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking to buy a recording setup with at least four simultaneous inputs
For cheap?

owr

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll sell you a motu 896hd, everything works last I checked, its been sad sitting unused in a closet for years. 8 decent pre-amps, only thing to consider is if you can manage a firewire interface.

dan1434

Reaction score
I have a cubase interface the firepod 400 make me an offer. Also have a Mac computer with the software loaded on it likely can be updated

Ox Han

Reaction score
What's your budget? I've got quantum 2 (2 preamps and 2 line inputs for outboard preamps plus a ton of expansion options)

FieryLungs

Reaction score
I've got a Fostex MR16 I recently refurbed and was pretty surprised at how competent it is. It only does 44.1/48khz sample rates, but it's 24 bit, has four decent mic pres (with phantom power), and USB for transferring files to and from a computer (it doesn't work as a usb interface though.)

The FX are okay, but there are better and more flexible options in most DAWs.

The fostex software transfer software works with win 10 and gives you named directories if named wav files. A quick drag and drop into Reaper or Audacity and you're good to go.

There's also an on board metronome, programmable tempo/time signature track and the ability to use a wave file imported from your computer as a guide track. I had no trouble getting good, clean, synced 4 channel drum recordings when I was testing it.

Lastly, it uses standard IDE drives and worked with a cheap SATA adapter & SSD. You won't be stuck trying to find working 20 year old tech if you need a replacement HD.

If you want something even less computer-less and more portable, a Zoom h4n overhead with a kick/snare mic on inputs 3 & 4 can get a lot done.

For mics and stands, buy used Craigslist, Facebook marketplace, and reverb.com deals as you see them.

Rock Salad

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I need the whole deal, interface, brain and software. I could drop maybe $400?

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'll sell you a motu 896hd, everything works last I checked, its been sad sitting unused in a closet for years. 8 decent pre-amps, only thing to consider is if you can manage a firewire interface.
If you can manage firewire, a big advantage is that MOTU continue to update their drivers for newer OS's. I'm running two different firewire cards right now on a 2012 Macbook Pro with firewire, but they're actually more stable plugged in via a firewire to thunderbolt. Less hassles when waking up from sleep mode and generally less finicky.

owr

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should update that the motu sold a few days ago to another forum member. It is a nice unit, I just updated to something else. Good luck on the hunt, lots of other good options!

Rock Salad

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you can manage firewire, a big advantage is that MOTU continue to update their drivers for newer OS's. I'm running two different firewire cards right now on a 2012 Macbook Pro with firewire, but they're actually more stable plugged in via a firewire to thunderbolt. Less hassles when waking up from sleep mode and generally less finicky.
I actually have a fire wire interface but I don't have anything to plug it in to. Can you help an ignoramus out here? How do I make this thing work with a computer that only has usb? Thanks

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Unless it's USB-C (the more recent one with smaller plugs) it probably won't work with a firewire to usb adapter. Firewire has much faster transfer rate. Without more details & specs of your computer i"m just guessing.

Ox Han

Reaction score
Your best bet then is most likely to go with a zoom device like the h6 or f6. if you can afford the sound devices mix pre 6, that would be my choice.

no computer necessary to record. You would import the tracks from SD card into whatever free DAW you use at the moment. You can upgrade DAW later

dan1434

Reaction score
I actually have a fire wire interface but I don't have anything to plug it in to. Can you help an ignoramus out here? How do I make this thing work with a computer that only has usb? Thanks

my firepod is firewire

owr

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Slight tangent on the thread, but seems common for folks trying to get into DAW style recording with a computer running into the fact that their computer is old or under powered. While I have a fancy pants Macbook Pro laptop for my music needs, I am also a huge fan of Dell's Refurbished PCs. It's kind of like b stock for computers, the inventory changes constantly, best to buy first thing in the morning, but they also run regular huge discounts over already low prices like right now with a 50%:

I just picked up a very nice new laptop for my wife for $500. I was planning on getting her a Mac, but she mostly just browses the internet and organizes our photos and a comparable build on a new macbook was about $1700. I also got myself a desktop with 64 GB of RAM about 6 months ago for $800, I do lots of number crunching for work and needed the horsepower. Amazing deals to be had, and nothing worse than trying to record your new 8 mic drum set-up and running into an under powered computer.

Rock Salad

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was just thinking that this digital recording became a thing long enough ago that maybe some vintage stuff might be within my means?
I guess I'll need to learn how to work on computer hardware sigh.
I had hoped someone had put all their whole setup in the attic ready to go lol

owr

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah the problem with computers/software is the world moves on and old stuff is no longer supported. I have a PC desktop I bought 10 years ago for work that was fairly high powered at the time, and now can barely handle Windows and normal browsing work. Some folks are really savvy and patient with this stuff and can get good value out of the older gear. My time is so limited I just want something I can plug in that works.

Ox Han

Reaction score
I was just thinking that this digital recording became a thing long enough ago that maybe some vintage stuff might be within my means?
I guess I'll need to learn how to work on computer hardware sigh.
I had hoped someone had put all their whole setup in the attic ready to go lol
Check out these options. The H6 comes with stereo small condenser mics that aren’t too bad. SW has a demo for under $300. No computer necessary for any of these options.

1. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/H6Blk--zoom-h6-all-black-handy-recorder

2.https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/F6--zoom-f6-multitrack-field-recorder

3. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...ices-mixpre-6-ii-audio-recorder-and-interface

Rock Salad

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
H6 looks pretty good, thanks. I have a H1, it sounds decent too.
Still looking for a whole old desktop setup if anyone digs one up.

Ox Han

Reaction score
H6 looks pretty good, thanks. I have a H1, it sounds decent too.
Still looking for a whole old desktop setup if anyone digs one up.
Do I understand you correctly that you’re looking for a computer and interface for $400?

Rock Salad

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's correct. It could be 20 years old, just as long as it has 8 inputs and still works. Doesn't need to do anything else like connecting to internet or anything

Rock Salad

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Otherwise if any of you can explain how one gets a fire wire input into a computer that would be equally helpful.
Just throwing it out there, I appreciate you guys even reading this