header.nohb.html

i want zildjian a avedis, but i would clean off the patina

bon viesta

Reaction score
i’m wondering if cymbal cleaner would even take the patina off of them, but if it could i would. i like the sound, the look, the whole vibe of avedis cymbals but i absolutely want to take off the patina and logo. has anyone else done this? would it ruin them? structurally i mean, with tarnish and stuff. (i don’t have the cymbals, i’m just seeing them online and in videos and thinking about getting them and then doing this with them)

i’m getting new cymbals soon, so it would either be this or plain zildjian a cymbals with some cleaner to take off the a logos. i’d definitely try out any cymbal i buy in a store before buying, so i’m unlikely to be regretting it.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
If you buy vintage As you wouldn’t get the logo, but you’d get the sound, and for less money. I have a 50s small stamp A that’s super clean, not even any natural patina to clean really. They are out there. Since you’re talking about the factory applied patina, I would have to assume that a healthy dose of Groove Juice or other acid based cleaner would take it off. But I don’t know that from experience.

Heartbeat

Advanced Heart Guru
Reaction score
I know Zildjian says to NOT clean/remove the patina on the Keropes, but I don't know if it's a similar patina-ing process on the Avedis line or not.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to keep my Zildjians polished , the logos however did not come off . I suspect that what ever would take it off would leave a different look in its place .

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want them super shiny with no logos you’ll have to use a buffing tool of some sort and then you run the risk of getting them too hot and ruining the temper .

I remember a guy In Modern Drummer used to advertise his services at polishing cymbals, I always wanted to send mine off .

nickrobotron

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have seen Explorer’s Percussion here in KC remove the patina on an Avedis that had weird stains. Worked beautifully. Ask for Sam. He was the guy that showed it to me. I believe he did with a plastic brush and a lathe with no chemicals.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
As long as you avoid abrasives. Polish cream uses minerals that smooth down the metal surface. Plastic brush sounds like it would be soft enough, but best use no mechanical force at all I'd say. I woud leave it as is. The reissue standard As are very nice, too, and shiny.

As far as just getting an old A: I bought a new 19" A Avedis because it just sounded perfect. Would have taken me ages to find an old one like that, they just vary a lot. Old cymbal with good soundfile/video might be the ticket though.

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
As long as you avoid abrasives. Polish cream uses minerals that smooth down the metal surface. Plastic brush sounds like it would be soft enough, but best use no mechanical force at all I'd say. I woud leave it as is. The reissue standard As are very nice, too, and shiny.

As far as just getting an old A: I bought a new 19" A Avedis because it just sounded perfect. Would have taken me ages to find an old one like that, they just vary a lot. Old cymbal with good soundfile/video might be the ticket though.
If it currently sounds perfect, I'd be wary of removing the "patina". Surface coatings can have a fairly significant change in the sound of a cymbal.

Last edited:

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
If it currently sounds perfect, I'd be vary of removing the "patina". Surface coatings can have a fairly significant change in the sound of a cymbal.
hesrightyouknow.jpeg

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
If it currently sounds perfect, I'd be wary of removing the "patina". Surface coatings can have a fairly significant change in the sound of a cymbal.
Me? I am not the one wanting to remove the patina, agree with you.

Dave H.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I like my Zildjians to be brite & shiny! After I get them clean, I use car wax to keep them that way!

Slawman

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
i’m wondering if cymbal cleaner would even take the patina off of them, but if it could i would. i like the sound, the look, the whole vibe of avedis cymbals but i absolutely want to take off the patina and logo. has anyone else done this? would it ruin them? structurally i mean, with tarnish and stuff. (i don’t have the cymbals, i’m just seeing them online and in videos and thinking about getting them and then doing this with them)

i’m getting new cymbals soon, so it would either be this or plain zildjian a cymbals with some cleaner to take off the a logos. i’d definitely try out any cymbal i buy in a store before buying, so i’m unlikely to be regretting it.
Flitz metal polish. It will take off ink logos too.