I wore out all my Bruford albums...

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That band was SMOKING! I saw them live at The Roxy in '78. (Holdsworth had split and was replaced on guitar by "the unknown" John Clarke.) Absolutely amazing show. It was quite something to watch Jeff Berlin flawlessly negotiate all of this extremely difficult odd-metric stuff with the nonchalance of someone playing a medium 12/8 shuffle.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing that it was either December 1978 or maybe January or February of 1979. (It was really cold, that I remember for sure.) They played a college bar here in Pittsburgh. Since my buddy and I were under twenty-one, we could not get in to see the show.

The bouncer was cool, he let us stand near the door for the entire show so that we could hear it.

By the end I couldn't feel my feet. I didn't care, it was well worth it.

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Bruford was a one of the best fusion bands ever. I loved the evolution the band took, including post Allan Holdsworth, when John Clark took over on guitar. The album One of A Kind was so influential an album on me that I included it in my Favorite 10 Drummer Albums of all time. I bought the Japan Mini LP 4 disc set of Bruford years ago and it stands proudly in my collection.

Soulfinger

Reaction score
Hell of a band!
I remember when I was 14 or so, just getting started on drums, I found the "Feels Good To Me" LP in a second hand store. I thought - hey, the drummer fom Yes, that ought to be good. Boy, was it ever! That album also introduced me to Kenny Wheeler who became another favourite musician of mine.

BTW, while the video of the whole concert is gone from youtube, the separate songs are still all there. Search for "Bruford Rock goes to College".

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hell of a band!
I remember when I was 14 or so, just getting started on drums, I found the "Feels Good To Me" LP in a second hand store. I thought - hey, the drummer fom Yes, that ought to be good. Boy, was it ever! That album also introduced me to Kenny Wheeler who became another favourite musician of mine.

BTW, while the video of the whole concert is gone from youtube, the separate songs are still all there. Search for "Bruford Rock goes to College".
Too bad the video quality is so bad.

pgm554

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My only live Bruford was when he did the Clouds About Mercury Tour with David Torn.
Saw them at the Keystone in Berkeley ,no place to sit and the band didn't come on until midnight.
There were like 4 or 5 opening acts that were pretty much ,meh.

drummertom

Staff member
Reaction score
Yup! I met Bruford at a record store promotion before an Earthworks show on the first tour. Love all of his work!

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
Somebody here recently had some DVD's for sale, including "Bruford Rock Goes to College."

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
That band was SMOKING! I saw them live at The Roxy in '78. (Holdsworth had split and was replaced on guitar by "the unknown" John Clarke.) Absolutely amazing show. It was quite something to watch Jeff Berlin flawlessly negotiate all of this extremely difficult odd-metric stuff with the nonchalance of someone playing a medium 12/8 shuffle.
Hsosdrum - I think you may have been at every concert I ever attending - or vice versa :) And I agee - this was a very good show... really loved that band.

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hsosdrum - I think you may have been at every concert I ever attending - or vice versa :) And I agee - this was a very good show... really loved that band.
I was also at a Don Ellis show you played, in 1975 or 1976 at a club somewhere in North Hollywood or Studio City (not Donte's). I remember it was the first time I ever saw Ellis with only a single drummer, and after the show I wondered why he had ever bothered with multiple drummers. All the previous times he had Ralph Humphrey and Ron Dunn (and himself, but I prefer not to remember too much about Ellis at the drums).

P.S. The opening act at the Bruford gig was a comedian named Bob Dubac.

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They played a college bar here in Pittsburgh. Since my buddy and I were under twenty-one, we could not get in to see the show.
I saw them in Toronto at the El Mocambo when I was 16 (went by myself, since none of my friends were interested). I used my brother's ID to get in (he was 19, which was the drinking age, and driving licenses back then DIDN'T HAVE YOUR PHOTO!).

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I saw this same '78 Bruford tour you guys are talking about at Keystone Berkeley. (w/ guitarist John Clark)
It was a real treat to watch the players up close in a club like that. Jeff Berlin was on fire!