ID Info On My Walberg & Auge Snare Drum?

Stretch Riedle

DFO Master
Reaction score
Picked this up at a nice price. Will play it at least once, may keep it or sell it. But there's very little reference information, so I'm asking if you know any more details about it then I know?
More accurate date, current market value range, wood type?

It came to me whole, with 11 clip rods, and a busted bottom calf snare head. Top calf head is ok, but I put modern Remo Classic Fit heads on it, which were the only ones that fit easily.
I used 10 of the 11 rods, and only dusted it off and wiped it down. No other mods were done. ALL ORIGINAL PARTS. Serial number engraved inside shell is 03553. What does this indicate?
I know it's a Walberg & Auge, size 4x14, 1920's-1930's based on the badge.

Thanks for any info,
Stretch

Attachments

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
I can only confirm your timeline info, shell looks like maple. I've collected bought and sold many W&A drums over the years, no big money here value is prolly in the 150-200 range. Nice piece of Americana.

thejohnlec

Reaction score
Jeremy Esposito is the current president of W & A and he’d probably love to see this beauty. He’s on Facebook and is very responsive. Nice score on this instrument!

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
03553 might be March 1955 ...day 3. Its a date stamp but they don't always make sense. I think that badge went thru til the 50s and the Precision era.

I have a bass drum of similar build (24x8)...but it has a similar badge (just the drum cut out) glued to the rering.

W/A continued to build drums w/o tru lugs into the 70s. I have 71 BOP 12/20 drums built that way.

If you do want to sell...I could be interested.