I'd say this is rare. If it's real.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerry Hendrix

Reaction score
Yeah, I've yet to meet a Ludwig snare drum that isn't a serious musical instrument.

royal ace

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The following comment will probably arouse the ire of some, but I can't resist... here goes... I think it's funny and ironic that a cheesy little drum which no serious player would opt to actually play arouses such lust. Yes, I know.. It's RARE!
However, IMHO, it's an inferior musical instrument. :eek:

Ron
ron

why would you even say this? just to stir things up? what about that drum would be cheesy and not proper for a serious drummer to play?

mike
I say it because I remember that model from the 60s... how insubstantial its build and poor its response.

I have great respect for the humble Acrolite and consider it far superior as an instrument.

I recently acquired a late 70s Acro in excellent condition for $99, set it up with an Amb batter, tuned it, played it and... while acknowledging its outstanding value for the price... in the end, I traded it to a friend for a cymbal, because It was perfectly obvious to me that, as the owner of 16 snare drums, each of which I preferred, I would never opt to play the Acro.

I've never been partial to Ludwig drums. What Ringo, Bonham and Buddy may have played... and when... is a matter of complete indifference to me.
I am an ardent devotee of older Gretsch and Premier drums, as many here may know, but it has zero to do with Charlie Watts playing Gretsch or Ringo's having once played Premiers.
Though I readily acknowledge that Ludwig has made fine drums for decades, IMHO, the model in question is not one of them!

If I'm stirring things up with a sincere personal opinion based on the experience of over 50 years of playing drums, so be it... no apologies, no retractions.

Ron

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
You guys ARE joking about the Black Panther, correct?!?!?
Yes...a very few lucky people have found citrus mod wrap UNDER black panther wrap so every time a BP set or drum pops up for sale there is some question as to what might be (but probably 99% isn't) under there.

The CM sold so poorly that Ludwig apparently put BP over the wrap on shells that were already wrapped in CM and sat around the plant too long.

So it's just a little riff on that...

rikkrebs

DFO Master
Reaction score
You guys are driving yourselves crazy. I am the one who ended up with this drum. I will fill you in with the details as soon as I get it in my hands.

WOW! Congrats...What a great drum. We do NOT need to know what you paid for it.....But we DO nedd pics when it's cleaned up.

curotto

DFO Master
Reaction score
The following comment will probably arouse the ire of some, but I can't resist... here goes... I think it's funny and ironic that a cheesy little drum which no serious player would opt to actually play arouses such lust. Yes, I know.. It's RARE!

Ron
SOS...just another thread...but it is your right to express your opinion.

Mike Curotto

Jolo

Reaction score
Way to go, Vince!
Why don't you bring it to the Chicago show and give everyone a look.
I'll keep a lookout for a matching CM 18/12/14 for you if you'll keep
a lookout for a 60's CM Jazz Fest for me... I only need one.

atomicdave

DFO Master
Reaction score

Ron
It is a nice size, coolest wrap of the time....and I've found a few 3 ply granitones to be great shells BUT have encountered a few that were a little lumpy...the clear laquer interiors the same...guess the granitone was sometimes a coverup the "B" grade drums to pass them off as the same as top line...Sooooooooooo.....proofs in the pudding....let's see some before and after pics, I'm guessing from the pics it was prob only spit shined....oh, and video of it played on a matching kit (contact Anthony if ya ain't got one)....bragging rights are one thing, but why was this drum crafted? It's not a Gold Triumphal for cryin' out loud! (even the real first triumphal was built to be PLAYED, right?)

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I'm still wondering if there's not a matching 18x12 bass drum that goes with that snare drum.

Also, while moot at this point, I wanted to express my agreement with Ron's comments, at least partly.
I read it as a comment on the varience in popularity of different sized drums, and how "excited" everyone got over a drum that otherwise, would never garner that kind of attention (at least due to its size).
I mean, lets face it, 13x3 isn't exactly the most useful of sizes.
14x5, for instance, would work in many more applications, thus the 13x3 becomes inferior, if looked at from that point of view.
However, all sizes of drums (snare or otherwise) are perfectly viable as instruments. Its just that the different sizes all have their place.
I did not read it as a "knock" against Ludwig.

Lastly, vintagedrumjunky, congrats on your purchase.
I look forward to hearing (and seeing!) more about that drum in a future thread.

Elvis

kona1984

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That is one cool little drum. The finish and size jumps right out at ya.....it's got that 'jazzy sparkle' party look. I like it.
Congratulations on your purchase :occasion5:

That drum would look nice in my livingroom here....The painting is called JAZZ BAR...
View attachment 98496

Drumjinx

Drum manufacturer
Reaction score
I love all the hype and drama around an auction like this. I like finding out what, and how it went down. And I don't think Vincent did anything that many of us have tried on other auctions. We have all seen auctions where the seller was naive of what they really have....and then we send them a offer to buy the item at a price we believe they will gladly give it up, and us knowing full well it is worth more, sometimes far more. That fact that Vince made the correct and strategic move in "The Art of the Chase"....should not be held against him.
Most of us here hate eBay anyway....why should we care if a seller gets around them in someway to avoid paying a huge fee for selling an item? The fact that we were not privy to "the show" is what makes some upset...as well as the fact that Bun E didn't get it. I can honestly say that I was among those that hoped it would go to Bun E. I am sorry that it did not, but it is interesting that we were close to stinging up the buyer until we found out that it was Vince that got it. I can only guess at the vitriolic rhetoric that would be continuing even now.
Congratulations to Vince....This buy had all the intensity of a roller coaster ride...lots of up and down....unknown directions....confusion ...and panic....but in the end it was still fun.

Jerry Hendrix

Reaction score
Sorry if I go against the ever-changing mass opinion of this forum regarding this drum/auction, but I just want to remind everyone that if the buyer had been "someone" from another forum, then the vitriol, here, would have been off the scale! The bottom line, here, is that Ebay sux because it was a DFO forum member who got the seller to break the rules for him. If it had been someone else who wasn't a member here, then EBay would have been fine, but the buyer and seller would have been the bad guys. This forum has been around a long time built on the foundation of another forum and there are a lot of old-timer loyalists as a result. And loyalists are often able to justify any and all hypocrisy for "their" community. We all got upset when the auction went screwy.....but now everything is just fine and now it's "nobody's business" to ask what happened. Right.

EBay sux anyway....so it's okay. grrrrrrr

DolFan54

Gum Flapping Idiot
Reaction score
I was just here for the show. I had to sneak in though as I couldn't afford the price of the ticket. :happy1:

vintagedrumjunky

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I simply stated it was nobody's business what I paid for this drum, nothing more, period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts