Ideas or Advice on Orphan Rogers B&B/Holiday era?

nk126

Reaction score
Over the last 9 months or so I picked up some Rogers shells, and am wondering if anyone has ideas or advice on finishing/building them out. Player's Kit territory for sure - I like the way they sound so far, love the vibe, and want to finish them, but I'm not going for historical restoration here.

IMG_8256.JPG
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:345611]

More trying to get them looking good and playable on a budget. Right now thinking either:

1. Natural wood finish to match the 16 x 16, like a lighter mahogany sort of color.
or
2. Vintage wrap along the lines of a green sparkle or blue white pearl or mardi gras

I also really like the egg shell blue with natural wood hoops thing that's trendy right now, but I don't think could pull that off on these (can't find a wrap that color, not sure it would look good as a wrap, anyway).

The lugs are the big issue, tho. See below. Wondering if redoing them with single screw lugs is easiest way, but I worry about strength & shell stress?

I have a 20 kick, 12 & 13 tom, 16 ft. I'd like to wind up with a 3 piece, with the 13 likely sitting out.

20 X 14 and 12 X 8 from the Bread and Butter lug era. Unfinished.
Kick has one head's worth of lugs, tom has all lugs. These lugs are notoriously crack-prone, and at least 4 or 5 of the 20 lugs I have already have issues.

Problem is, the lug spacing on the kick won't accommodate any of Rogers' later Beavertail lugs. I know bc I mistakenly bought some beavertail bass drum lugs and they almost but don't quite fit.

16 x 16 from the Holiday era. Finished with a brown oil of some sort, has kind of a nice look with the contrasting blonde wood hoops. Complete, was quasi-converted into a kick drum (actually a fun kick for different sound!). Has all lugs, rods, and two wood hoops. Has 2 of 3 original brackets, so would need the 3rd to be used with FT legs.

13 x 8 from the Big R era, I think. Maple shell with holes for memorilock tom holder. No lugs, but it accommodates the standard beavertail tom lugs.

I have hoops and tension rods for the 12 and 13- non-original, but that's fine for now. Also have one unfinished maple bass drum hoop and it's easy enough to get a second.

If anyone actually read, thanks! If anyone has thoughts, thanks in advance!

Attachments

Latest posts