Ideas to stabilize my hihat stand???

texasshawn16

Reaction score
I added an aux set of hats to my kit and then realized that my old hat stand being 3 legged wasn't going to work. So after 2 months of waiting for it on backorder my new pearl h2050 duel legged stand came in. I got it all set up but it wobbles like crazy when I playing the hats. I will add some pics. The main hats pedal is in the center and the aux hats are out to the left. I was maybe thinking velco?????

Attachments

AustinFitz

Reaction score
I recently removed a leg from my Pearl hi-hat stand to make more room for my double bass pedal. I added a steel base plate from another old pedal I had laying around. It has a rubber pad glued to the bottom for grip, and kind of acts as the 3rd leg making it pretty stable.

20200702_000416.jpg

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I got it all set up but it wobbles like crazy when I playing the hats.
It shouldn't wobble. You need to make sure that the bottom plate (or frame) is firmly flat on the ground, and then push the two legs down until they make contact. Those three points (the pedal, and the two legs) have to be perfectly level with the floor. I had similar wobble problems with the DW9000 hi-hat stand until I realized that I needed to have it setup just so.
Good luck! I've since gone back to a three leg stand and single bass drum pedal.

trommel

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Mix Xanax & WD-40. Spray/mist this on all the moving parts. It will make you cry !

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
Back when I was kicking around the idea of using a remote hi Hats I built a set of legs for my Yamaha pedal that both swivel and go up and down. Very stable set up.

The answer to most problems is become a Tinker.

DF06B61E-EB67-4634-A339-F93E4AE459E3.jpeg
5170CE4C-2D51-452A-ADC4-CD5578FB9C45.jpeg
ACC10843-8D95-4A92-93DA-E6417C79E50E.jpeg

texasshawn16

Reaction score
The remote pedal is fine.
Back when I was kicking around the idea of using a remote hi Hats I built a set of legs for my Yamaha pedal that both swivel and go up and down. Very stable set up.

The answer to most problems is become a Tinker.

View attachment 449178 View attachment 449179 View attachment 449180
[/QUOTE

The remote pedal is fine. It actually came with 2 legs that swivels but I removed them and Velcro the base to the carpet and it fine. It's the main hat stand I'm having problems with

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
The remote pedal is fine.
My mistake, I was too focused on bragging and not paying attention to the actual issue.
It is your regular two legged hi hat stand? You need to loosen the wing bolt at the yoke that holds the two legs to the stand, grab the main tube and lift the front part of the pedal base off of the floor. The stand should only be touching the ground at three points, the two leg feet and the part of the base where your heel is.

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
If I remember correct, (which would be a miracle) I think when the 2 legged hihat stands were first being used due to the double pedal reason they also had some kind of clamp going from the hi-hat tube to another stand - or to the left bass drum and using that for stability.

1593781800795.png

1593781863931.png

texasshawn16

Reaction score
If I remember correct, (which would be a miracle) I think when the 2 legged hihat stands were first being used due to the double pedal reason they also had some kind of clamp going from the hi-hat tube to another stand - or to the left bass drum and using that for stability.

View attachment 449184
View attachment 449185
That will probably be the best option. The last few days i have tried little different things but nothing is working. i think its just because i have it set up on carpet with pretty thick padding underneath that. all my toms and cymbals are attached to a rack so if i can find some kind of clamp about 18-20 inches overall length i could go from the hat stand over to the down tube on the left side of the rack. i have some old cymbal stands that i could cut the tubing from and then just find 2 clamps to attach to that. Actually thats the plan!!!!! Thank you for guiding my brain onto the right track!!!

RobbiefromAtlanta

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Also you have additional weight attached with the wood block/boom arm and looks like a stick holder. If you take those off it may help if you don’t go down the clamp to the rack way.

texasshawn16

Reaction score
Also you have additional weight attached with the wood block/boom arm and looks like a stick holder. If you take those off it may help if you don’t go down the clamp to the rack way.
I'm sure having the wood block and stick holder don't help the situation. But with my 3 legged stand it was never an issue. I'm not a super big fan of Pearl but I got the demon drive double pedal years ago and fell in love with it so when I added the remote hat I stayed with that product line. If Pearl would of added a stabilizing metal plate like they have on the kick pedal then I think this wouldn't of been an issue. I just ordered 2 of these clamps. I will attach one to the hat stand and then the other to the rack and then use a cymbal arm without the tilter on the end obviously. And since I'll have a arm there I also ordered a double ended eye bolt clamp so I can add my 16" ozone crash that I been wanting to find room for...lol. Luckily when my wife didn't want me hanging in bars anymore the deal was that I could build the kit I have had in my head no matter the cost and she has been great about it.

Attachments

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
i think its just because i have it set up on carpet with pretty thick padding underneath that.
You also have one hi-hat leg on the black rug, and one off of it. That's asking for trouble. I promise you, it's just about pressing down firmly on the pedal, adjusting the legs as far down as possible, and THEN tightening it.

Latest posts