Identification of Wfl snare

Rallaei

Reaction score
Hi all,

Could you help me to identify a snare? It's a WFL 14x6.5", date stamped jul 25 1955. I think it's a Festival model School concert drum, but i'm not sure.
The snare throw off isn't original, I know. Somebody dropped the snare long before I got it, other than that it seems original. Other than it's been stripped at some point, so its deffinetly a players drum.

The thing is that I have another Wfl snare about the same age that I always use og just bought a Slingerland snare from '59, so this one is not gonna get any playtime at all (I haven't used it for something like 10 years) so I was thinking of moving it, realisticly how much would it be worth? I haven't got a clue. I think I bought of eBay for something like $50 and then got the edges redone.. The other one was in much nicer condition and was like $200. But it seems that prices have gone up and its not like I'm gonna make any real money this summer with cancelled festivals and all.

Thanks

Attachments

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
That was the Ray McKinley model which WFL sold with the Buddy Rich model drum kit. At least early on. The Ray Mckinley drum set came with the 5 1/2" Super Classic. The 6 1/2" was sold separately as the Ray McKinley and the 5 1/2" was sold as the Buddy Rich. The drum was renamed to the school festival in the 60's

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thin shell is right. I have the 60's version '66 School Fest to be exact. A drum I bought in not so great shape that I refinished and put new COB hoops on to try to bring out it's original sound. Had the edges cleaned up which made a huge difference, and kept the original butt and throw off. It now sounds great. The 50's versions might have had thicker re-rings.

Someone will want it as long as the shell isn't compromised. Yours doesn't appear to have the original NOB hoops. The WFL's are harder to come by so maybe $250-300 as is. If all original much more of course.

Attachments