Identify Drum on Clive Burr Kit

Beatnik

Johnson
Reaction score
There is not much info out there on Clives kits at all. I've read he had a gong bass on his Tama kit, but it just looks to be a kick mounted to his right (left drum in picture below) as it has top and bottom rims/hoops. Also, through the years I always thought the toms went 8,10,12,14 toms and 16,18 floors but have read it was a 13 not 14 ?

Does anyone really know much about this setup ?

Attachments

XVIII Airborne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of Clive Burr, I used to play along to 'Killers" and "The Number of the Beast" all the time. I thought he had a very cool looking drumset. The toms were 8, 10, 12, 13, 16, 18, 22" bass, 20" suspended bass, 4 low pitch octobans to his left, all white in color. His later (Beast era) set was square size Tama toms (10x10, 12x12 etc) pinstripe tops, white bottoms. I think he always used a 6.5x14 Supraphonic, unless anyone has pics of him with a Tama snare. As far as I can tell it's Paiste 2002 17, 18, 19 Medium Crashes, 20" Heavy Ride, 16" Rude Crash, 20'& 24" chinas and 14" For. 602 Extra Heavy hi-hats. If anyone has any other pics, please post, I loved the look of his Beast era set.

XVIII Airborne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That last pic does look like a Black Beauty. Could be he played different snares at different shows, I have seen a lot of pics and YouTube vids of him of him with a chrome 402 Supraphonic with a pinstripe head. Forgot the 34" gong he used as well. Huge early influence on me, I saw him play with Maiden in 1982 at the Rosemont Horizon outside Chicago, it's a shame he was out of the band shortly after that and now we lost him. I still have the tour program from that 1982 tour.

ppfd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Did Clive use Ludwig prior to Tama or Tama then Ludwig?

Any ideas of which songs might have octabons played in? Or were these for live use (my guess?)

As much as I love Nicko, Clive just brought something different to the band. The intros to "Gangland" and "The Prisoner" are still pretty damn tight! :headbang:

Beatnik

Johnson
Reaction score
Ludwig first.

They came through here with Priest and Scorps if I remember right. Man he was freaking quick !

I almost posted this, but had second thoughts, so here goes. I feel Clive was a much better fit than Nicko.
Piece of Mind was excellent, but everything since has been pretty much meh imho. I like Nickos Travers stuff, but he has just stagnated in Maiden. I have wondered if Clive had already worked some of POMs drumming when Nicko came in.

Back to the kit. The 20" suspended bass you mentioned, could that be a 16x20 floor ? I had seen he was using an actual gong bass with Desperado.

Beatnik

Johnson
Reaction score
Most pictures you find are white ludwigs. You can also see maybe a Black Beauty here.

Attachments

supershifter2

DFO Star
Reaction score
Most pictures you find are white ludwigs. You can also see maybe a Black Beauty here.
all the fotos i'v seen of Clive have him playing the SONOR kit. never seen the ludwig kit and never saw the tama kit until it was posted above.

drummerfish

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
good to see any pics of clive. i don't come across them very often, but when i do its with the ludwig kit.

below is the only large pic i've found. the snare isn't a ludwig but some other brand that i can't recall off hand.

if anyone have more pics with his ludwig kit, please post. i need them for the site i'm working on.

Attachments

Beatnik

Johnson
Reaction score
supershifter2 said:
all the fotos i'v seen of Clive have him playing the SONOR kit. never seen the ludwig kit and never saw the tama kit until it was posted above.
Are you sure you're not confusing Clive with Nicko ?

XVIII Airborne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
drummerfish said:
good to see any pics of clive. i don't come across them very often, but when i do its with the ludwig kit.

below is the only large pic i've found. the snare isn't a ludwig but some other brand that i can't recall off hand.

if anyone have more pics with his ludwig kit, please post. i need them for the site i'm working on.
Yes, I've seen that pic frequently too and I could never figure out the brand of snare that is, with the square lugs. As far as the gong bass to his right, it looks to me to be an 18x20 floor tom mounted like a gong bass. Tama custom made the square sizes for him, so I'm sure they made that drum for him as well. I think he used the Ludwig drums on the first few albums (Iron Maiden, Killers, Maiden Japan) and got the Tama set for the Number of the Beast album/tour. McBrain is a fine drummer to be sure, but their music took a big change in direction in sound when he joined, the DiAnno/Burr era had a much more punk sound.

fatchoppers

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
BeaTniK said:
Ludwig first.

They came through here with Priest and Scorps if I remember right. Man he was freaking quick !

I almost posted this, but had second thoughts, so here goes. I feel Clive was a much better fit than Nicko.
Piece of Mind was excellent, but everything since has been pretty much meh imho. I like Nickos Travers stuff, but he has just stagnated in Maiden. I have wondered if Clive had already worked some of POMs drumming when Nicko came in.

Back to the kit. The 20" suspended bass you mentioned, could that be a 16x20 floor ? I had seen he was using an actual gong bass with Desperado.
Clive was great for sure . But I disagree to say everything after Piece of Mind was ehhhhh. IMO Everything after somewhere in time is ehhhhhhh. Not because of Nikko but the whole maiden band . PowerSlave and somewhere in Time have some dynamite drumming.

supershifter2

DFO Star
Reaction score
BeaTniK said:
as a guy thats ben listening to maiden when Paul was the singer and have videos of maiden with Clive playing Sonor and bought Pat Travers record albums with Nikko ojn the drums b 4 Tommy joined PT and other stuff i know the difference betwwen Clive and Nikko.

look at time mark 4:40 on the last video > his SONOR kit

Last edited by a moderator:

ppfd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Some guy that played the drums us young guys listen too. :laughing6:

Did a quick search today on clive, lot of pictures of the Tama and Ludwig kits.

Noticed on some the bottom tom heads were cut out similar to the bass drum. Wonder why he didn't just go concert tom style? That little bit of drum head, would it make any difference?

Beatnik

Johnson
Reaction score
supershifter2 said:

as a guy thats ben listening to maiden when Paul was the singer and have videos of maiden with Clive playing Sonor and bought Pat Travers record albums with Nikko ojn the drums b 4 Tommy joined PT and other stuff i know the difference betwwen Clive and Nikko.

look at time mark 4:40 on the last video > his SONOR kit

The first video is Clive on Ludwigs, the last video is Nickos Sonors ?

Beatnik

Johnson
Reaction score
ppfd said:
Some guy that played the drums us young guys listen too. :laughing6:

Did a quick search today on clive, lot of pictures of the Tama and Ludwig kits.

Noticed on some the bottom tom heads were cut out similar to the bass drum. Wonder why he didn't just go concert tom style? That little bit of drum head, would it make any difference?
Keeps you from loosing your hoops and rods. ;)

67Mopar

God Speed Jerry
Reaction score
wow never saw the 83 live concert, thanks!!! Kinda hard for me, because my favorite 3 bands in the early 80's were Pat Travers , Maiden, and Ozzy, I always knew they had great drummers and was totaly surprised when I heard Nikko joined Maiden, Because he was Pats Drummer, Then Tommy comes out of nowhere and is in Pats band, then he migrates over to Ozzy, That was it yea I was hooked on music, er these three drummers, all by default, as Pat was small time Maiden was a nitch band, and Ozzy was , well as a Sabbath fan we were all a bit pissed because he was t efirst to leave a band and go solo at least first for what I followed, as for Clive, just never got into him, only aware of Wrathchild, Niko and Tommy made every band they played with better, if there ever was a Gretzky, A Brady or a Mantle, he would and tommy would be them.