Identify my Ludwig snare

TheTimin8r

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I think I may have found a supraphonic from the early 70s in my dad's basement.

Pointy B/O badge
Serial number 1048597
Spun shell (no welds)

I spent a bunch of time on the web trying to find ways to ID it for sure but I'm just not all that confident. I did notice some pitting on the chrome which sounds common as well.

Any help IDing it and the year it was from would be appreciated! Thanks fellow drum nerds!

Attachments

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yep.... Looks like a "No. 400" 5x14 Supra-Phonic, which is an aluminum shell; and that interior stamp is "Reliable Anti-Galvanic," which was the plating company's stamp.
Here's a catalog shot from 1975 for your reference.

L-400.JPG

TheTimin8r

Reaction score
Thanks Hop! Any way to narrow down the year? Knowing where this drum came from, it should be 70-74 ish. The serial number doesn't fall in place with anything in finding online.

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The online serial resources leave a lot to be desired.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm with K.O. on this, the info online is your best source but it isn't really accurate; the fault resting with the factory as the serial numbers weren't associated with manufactoring/assembly data.
If you're lucky enough, you have a date stamp, or your drum's badge style/number kind of falls into a broad date range from one of the reference sites you may find online.

TheTimin8r

Reaction score
The best source is Rick Gier's "Serial Number Based Dating Guide for Vintage Ludwig Drums". Your badge, serial and strainer indicate ~'73.
Awesome thanks! That makes sense with the history I have on it. I think my grandparents bought it for my uncle to use in highschool band. I believe he started highschool in 69 or 70.