Identifying late 50s Slingerland "Radio King" Drum Kit - and a 1936 Broadcaster RK snare.

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Tama: Are your two Red tom toms the actual drums in the black and white pic?
I wish they were. But the duco toms in that photo are RK's owned by the Cuicci family since 1940. And they have been recently restored back to their full glory, and then some. See link above. My RK toms were found by a teenage drummer in upper New England during a 1970 vacation trip. He brought them back to become the rack toms on his 2 piece 1967 Ludwig kit (kick drum + acrolite). I'm making a project to incorporate them into a 1930's/40's Slingerland kit.

Last edited:

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ended up purchasing the WMP 14x6.5 Slingerland snare from the previous page....been thinking about it for a month or so. Now I have the snare to make my 30's/40's Slingy kit a player. The snare is much more interesting than I first thought. I knew initially it was 1935-1939. Now narrowed down to probably 1936...and right in between the Broadcasters and the first Radio King snares. It doesn't have the etched logo's on the hoops. It's basically a Broadcaster 1 ply build without the hoops or a first run RK with the threaded lugs (no inserts) and no engraved hoops. Came with the original extended snare wires that work fine, original calf skin reso head. Throw off works, though need to buy the upper arm with female fitting knob and the missing parts of Todd internal muffler assembly to complete.

IMG_20190908_214237.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Judging by the muffler I’d say that’s a Broadcaster. Very cool!
Thanks Bijan. Only half of my muffler assembly is still there - and not the center arm with red/green muffler. The hoops are not engraved so no way to be sure which it was RK or BC. Then again, anyone can swap hoops along the way and "turn it into" either model....hmm. The seller did have an "original" calf skin drum head stamped "Radio King." And it's the only 14" drum they owned that was Slingerland. So that would support an RK. During the 1936 transition from BC to RK, the only difference between them probably would have been the hoop engravings....and possibly the drum head stamp.

Last edited: