Identifying Premier Kit model

LezG

Reaction score
I have and Premier kit that I bought from a deceased estate 15 years ago.

The deceased drummer’s wife informed me that he had brought them from England to Australia.

They seem to me to match the kit that I bought new in 1970 in Australia and the closest in the catalogues seems to be the 68/69 models.

It doesn’t exactly match any of the kits in there though.
It has 6 drums. 22” BD, 14” wooden SD, 12” & 14” HToms, 14” & 16” FToms. Other hardware matches the era.

Are there distinguishing manufacturer’s marks or codes that I can look for?

Some photos attached.

Attachments

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
looks to be an all-International sized set ( no pre-international oddball diameters) What depth is the 14" small tom.
I had a set similar delivered new in September of 1971. So..
There was a small ink "international" stamped inside one of the (mahogany) toms. Ink.
(I see it's 8X14 size tom, same as I had) (same hardware everything as I had) (14x22,8x12,8x14,14x14, 16x16, 2000) I had.
PD303 w/ extra optional 14x14..your snare is a 2001 wood; that's unusual.
I'd say mid late 70 or into 71
only unusual; in my memory; my tom holders were (recalling now) in front of the badge near the front of the bass drum resonant head (and) there was no cymbal mount on bass and pretty sure (also) tom mount on the 8X14 was in the middle center of the drum.
So those 3 oddities a master premier archaeologist will have to decipher

my Sept. 1971 set -> premier.jpg Premier9300002.jpg premier 303.jpg <- PD 303 outfit 1971 catalog pic

on yours, the tom mounts nearer the bass batter head, the BD cymbal mount, the position of the mount on the 14 small tom
are something an ultra expert will have to opine on; and may be a tell on the year. I'd wager spring 1970

Last edited:

gdaileda

Reaction score
I have and Premier kit that I bought from a deceased estate 15 years ago.

The deceased drummer’s wife informed me that he had brought them from England to Australia.

They seem to me to match the kit that I bought new in 1970 in Australia and the closest in the catalogues seems to be the 68/69 models.

It doesn’t exactly match any of the kits in there though.
It has 6 drums. 22” BD, 14” wooden SD, 12” & 14” HToms, 14” & 16” FToms. Other hardware matches the era.

Are there distinguishing manufacturer’s marks or codes that I can look for?

Some photos attached.
From what I can see of the butt plate, it looks as though you have a Premier Royal Ace wood snare. Premier's answer to Ludwig's (metal) Superphonics. I have one in red sparkle. Finding replacement snare wires is a nightmare. I bought some Puresound ones a while back but they made them just a little wide to fit on the end pins. And they don't even make them anymore. I wish someone would. One other thing, the badges are slightly different through the years, but yours seem to fit with late 60s/early70s era. You might find this useful: Vintage Premier Info if you have these snare wires you have a Royal Ace.
premier royal ace.jpg

LezG

Reaction score
looks to be an all-International sized set ( no pre-international oddball diameters) What depth is the 14" small tom.
I had a set similar delivered new in September of 1971. So..
There was a small ink "international" stamped inside one of the (mahogany) toms. Ink.
(I see it's 8X14 size tom, same as I had) (same hardware everything as I had) (14x22,8x12,8x14,14x14, 16x16, 2000) I had.
PD303 w/ extra optional 14x14..your snare is a 2001 wood; that's unusual.
I'd say mid late 70 or into 71
only unusual; in my memory; my tom holders were (recalling now) in front of the badge near the front of the bass drum resonant head (and) there was no cymbal mount on bass and pretty sure (also) tom mount on the 8X14 was in the middle center of the drum.
So those 3 oddities a master premier archaeologist will have to decipher

my Sept. 1971 set -> View attachment 504529 View attachment 504530 View attachment 504531 <- PD 303 outfit 1971 catalog pic

on yours, the tom mounts nearer the bass batter head, the BD cymbal mount, the position of the mount on the 14 small tom
are something an ultra expert will have to opine on; and may be a tell on the year. I'd wager spring 1970
Thanks. Great info.

LezG

Reaction score
Than
From what I can see of the butt plate, it looks as though you have a Premier Royal Ace wood snare. Premier's answer to Ludwig's (metal) Superphonics. I have one in red sparkle. Finding replacement snare wires is a nightmare. I bought some Puresound ones a while back but they made them just a little wide to fit on the end pins. And they don't even make them anymore. I wish someone would. One other thing, the badges are slightly different through the years, but yours seem to fit with late 60s/early70s era. You might find this useful: Vintage Premier Info if you have these snare wires you have a Royal Ace.
View attachment 505576
Thanks. Great info. Pity the original coating was replaced with silver paint. :(