Identifying Slingerland Drum set?

SpartanSwede

Reaction score
Hello all,
I have recently acquired a Slingerland drum set, but I was unable to obtain much information about it. I think that it is in the 1963-69 range from the badge it has, the bass drum is 20in, has two 12 in rack toms, and a 16in floor tom, and is a sparkly silverish color. From what I saw, it has an odd tom mounting system on the bass drum, a rectangular shape rather than the square shapes I saw on others online, and that has stumped me.

I attached two pics, and let me know if you need any more. (I took off one of the wooden rims off the bass drum)

Thanks for taking the time to read this post, and hopefully some of you can help me out :)

IMG_0421.jpg
IMG_0420.JPG

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Probably from around 1965-1966 based on the serial number. The tom mount is the earlier dual tom holder from before they developed the dual set-o-matic that you more commonly see. Dual 12" toms were common in the early 60s, it took a while for the notion of using a 12 & 13" tom to settle in. Sparkling Silver Pearl is what Slingerland called this wrap but it is the same as other manufacturers silver sparkle. Not sure what this outfit was called but I think it was a standard catalog outfit although the catalog might have shown a 22" bass. It doesn't really matter anyhow. Slingerland only made one type of drum so any outfit had the same drums. Slingerland made great drums, those should clean up nicely.

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Alan Dawson's Slingerland kit sure took some lumps there. With the one rack tom gone, it exposed the Ludwig Supraphonic.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Alan Dawson's Slingerland
weren't his Just sitting in on them)
(I believe) Sherman Ferguson's google here
Dave 'Fathead' Newman; Hank Crawford; Kenny Burrell - 'Take The A Train' - 1977 France (Live Video)

Last edited:

SpartanSwede

Reaction score
Thank you all for the info! I really appreciate the time taken to provide me with these valuable details!

One last question: where might I acquire a "Telescopic Tilting Double Tom-Tom Holder" for this set?

The previous owner of the set tried to weld some things on the broken tom holder to fix it (I guess it broke at one point), but I am looking for an original tom holder because it is difficult to play as-is, and would be much easier to replace. Any suggestions?

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
When using that double mount you need that fugly hose to keep the toms from sagging...typical Slingerland poor design and cheapo remedy. You can alway make that tube from a hose.

Fullerton 9/72

Reaction score
Wow! I always though the 70's set-o-matic hose-clamp strengthener was kinda cheesy, but I never saw that ugly section of hose before ! Hoses and hose clamps? Sprinkler-land Drums!

Latest posts