Idris Muhammad

Kcmcc

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
so just as a clarification - I'm pretty sure Idris didn't play on any Sam Cooke records, he was his touring drummer for a while - I can't remember whether he got the job FROM June Garnder or whether June Gardner got the job from him, either way one of them reccomended the other, and both are amazing drummers - with Gardner being the guy with Cooke on what I believe to be the greatest live album ever "One Night Stand: Live at the Harlem Square Club"

I LOVE Idris.

rpludwig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
my favorite Idris w/Ahmad, 2005 Poinciana...splendid, tasteful, elegant, simply the best version of it I've ever seen...damn nice venue too! He cuts loose ~4:50....watchit!!! (great openhanded independence workout, that 3 on the hat takes some practice, try it!)

Last edited:

Dan Dakabin Drums

Reaction score
Does anyone know much about his set up over the years? Sizes etc? Granted, he could play cardboard boxes and groove like a mutha...Wonderful player

Reactions: JDA

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
yeah. 14x18 bass 2- 8x12 2 -14x14. Slingerland (Hair) , Gretsch, Sonor..Remo Masteredge, yamaha...
+Rentals all over the Globe.
Every brand under the sun.
Precision..

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
It's on Precision Drum Co. site if you dig down. In his Book he talks about the Slingerland he used at Hair and with Roberta Flack (theres a full concert on you tube Canada show I think very dark but you can spot him) He talks about those in the Book. (He would add Drums as long as they color matched (natural Sling & Gretsch for ex) In an NSMD interview many years back he talked He had just recieved " Dollar Bill Green" Remo Masteredge ( Green Venwood...) 2/ 8x12 2/ 14x14x and one 14x18.
I remembered that because he called them " Dollar Bill Green"...
And actually the interviewer asked him why he used duplicate sizes and he answered that " space"..

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
And actually the interviewer asked him why he used duplicate sizes and he answered that " space"..
WTF? I'm a fool for oblique answers given by jazzers to questions. But what does that mean? I'm about to go put together a same-size kit!

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So many great Idris cuts! Troutstudio, "Below the Bassline" is one of my all-time favourite albums. Pure bliss & playfulness! I'm also a huge fan of Grant Green's stuff & Idris' snaky, yet commanding style of funk. Those Live Green albums make me feel like I was right there in the room.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
yeah. 14x18 bass 2- 8x12 2 -14x14. Slingerland (Hair) , Gretsch, Sonor..Remo Masteredge, yamaha...
+Rentals all over the Globe.
Every brand under the sun.
Precision..
Interesting that on this kit, I don't hate those tom arms. They look perfect even.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Interesting that on this kit, I don't hate those tom arms. They look perfect even.
I think (.....) the absence of chrome -hoops top and bottom- lessens the omigawdso muchchrome- effect those poles usually invoke

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think (.....) the absence of chrome -hoops top and bottom- lessens the omigawdso muchchrome- effect those poles usually invoke
I think it's also that the bass drum mount is closer to the batter hoop which shortens the needed arm length. Whatever it is, that's one good looking kit.