if aliens had to come here and farm every snare drum on the planet but you were allowed to keep one....which would it be?

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I don't mind this question. It's been around in various forms since I've been on these forums and I enjoy seeing how my experiences have informed my opinion over time.

Currently, I'm back around to saying that just one snare would be my 5x14 70s Supra (regular aluminum model), or possibly the brass version I have. But most likely it's the good ol' 400 I would keep because I could use it for just about anything.

Corbin L Douthitt

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
i dont live on here like some people. had no idea this has been asked multiple times. i asked because i have many snares and at times i think about just going down to one as impossible as that sounds to me. figured maybe someone would list a snare that i have or a new one that i dont and that could be the one? and the decluttering begins......maybe!
What does “ ... come here and FARM every snare drum mean? Is that a local term? Farming is growing stuff. Ah! You mean ‘harvesting’ ?

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everyone is probably expecting me to say one of my Noble and Cooley snares bass on my forum name but to be absolutely honest the drum I would keep above all others is an engraved Ludwig Black Beauty 5” snare drum. My partner Marisa paid for the engraving for my 50th Bday which started a great friendship with John Aldridge . The snare we bought from another friend Todd Trent so the provenance is bog on this drum . Regardless of provenance , this snare is truly amazing , it can do anything I ask of it . It can do the big fat back sound , crispy articulate thing and it is a fantastic brush drum . Ludwig really got it right with these drums .

Attachments

fivestarkid

Reaction score
You're going to get to see people's favorite snares, but maybe a better approach would be a list of your snares and asking which one(s) we'd keep if we were you, if you're trying to whittle down your collection. Otherwise, the replies may or may not have much to do with what you already have.

People are happy to show their favorite snares, over and over and over, and pictures without sound and no drum in front of you aren't going to help much. Maybe that helps.
i wasnt looking to whittle down, maybe find a snare that multiple rave about and one to the collection. based on responses here, maybe it wasnt the best thing to post. im not really a regular here. i will post my snare collection soon i guess. well see what kind of comments they get!!

Swissward Flamtacles

Reaction score
If it's the last snare on earth, people will try to steal it, so it should be a) so heavy that you can barely carry it and b) repellent to as many drummers as possible (either because it's ugly or way too complicated).
I don't have ugly snares, so I'd chose my Tama Kingbeat.

fivestarkid

Reaction score
i wasnt looking to whittle down, maybe find a snare that multiple rave about and one to the collection. based on responses here, maybe it wasnt the best thing to post. im not really a regular here. i will post my snare collection soon i guess. well see what kind of comments they get!!
collection posted!

CherryClassic

DFO Master
Reaction score
That's an easy question for me to answer: Well, I only own 1 snare drum and played it for the last 27 years. A Ludwig late 80's Supra 6.5x14". I don't know that I could enjoy any other type of snare drum. LOL

sherm

Drummertist

Reaction score
Came for the “this post has been done a thousand times” comments. Stayed to say 6.5 x 14 Ludwig black galaxy acro. Sorry.