If you always play the same set up...

Drm1979

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What is the one piece of gear you can think of that you would consider adding to your current set up. For me I usually play a basic 4 piece set up with 2 crashes, ride, hi hat, splash and a cowbell. If I were to add something to it that i feel would be functional and not a waste of time or space it would probably be a set of roto-toms just for some longer tom fills. I haven't done it yet because right now my acoustics are put up and I'm just practicing on an ekit. But when I start playing my regular set again, that may be the next thing I add to my kit.

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I play ye olde One Upe/One Downe, One Ride/One Crash.

If I were to add one thing it’d be another crash. Of Doom.

Anyone got one they want to sell?

rculberson

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If I had the space or the enthusiasm to set it up, it would probably be an X-hat on my right side. Something radically different than my normal hi-hats, but still hi-hat(ish).

Last edited:

Browny

Reaction score
I downsized to one set of cymbals (16" Lauritsens, 20 & 22" old As), one set of drums (26/13/16 Radio Kings) and two snares (Acro & jarrah stave, both 14x6.5"). If I was to add one item, it'd probably be a matching, or as close as possible, 22" kick. Could keep the 26" bigger/open/solid front head and use the 22" with a port and a bit of muffling for a tighter/thudier/more controlled thing.

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a small 4 piece bop kit with which I use a flat ride, a normal ride and one crash. Optionally I add a wood block and cowbell. If I added anything it would be one more ride. I used to play 3 different rides rather than use a crash and if I could afford it I might try that again as it suits the jazz I play.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have a small 4 piece bop kit with which I use a flat ride, a normal ride and one crash. Optionally I add a wood block and cowbell. If I added anything it would be one more ride. I used to play 3 different rides rather than use a crash and if I could afford it I might try that again as it suits the jazz I play.
I spend the last decade using only one ride and pair of hats. Now days I am using three rides and a pair of hats. I am growing accustomed to the set-up and like it a lot. It works with jazz as well as blues and very old rock and pop circa 50s/60s.

mcjaco

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don't know if I'd add another piece. I play a five piece, with a ride, a EFX, two crashes, a ride, splash and hats, and a tamborine. I would more like to try something totally different like Harry Miree's setup.

Drumworm

Reaction score
I play in a band that primarily plays covers. I just added a Roland TM-2 with triggers. I'm triggering the kick and snare just for added thickness when needed, or when the room is difficult to EQ. Using the other two triggers for electronic effects such as claps, congas, tympanis, shaker, etc., via a DW 10" piccolo tom with a mesh head and a Roland BT-1 bar attached to it. It has been an outstanding addition.

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Humm, I don't know. I play a 5 piece now; 10, 12, 16 with one ride and one crash. I have a cow bell and wood blocks that I hardly setup. I guess maybe a 8" tom that I miss from time to time or a 13" tom for a one up and one down setup. I could also use another cymbal; crash, ride or a splash might be nice. I also have my older 7 piece kit being used for practice now and use parts of it for smaller stages and fewer drums.

sherm

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I play a one up / two down kit with hats, two crashes and a ride. I'd love to add an 18" Zildjian EFX Crash

thejohnlec

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My regular configuration is a 5 piece with an aux snare on the left, 1 22” ride, 2 crashes (16” & 17”), 1 14” efx, 1 8” splash, 13” hats, tambourine and mambo bell. Options:

- another splash (10” next to the 8”)
- a china (I have 2 not in use)
- permanently closed hats on the right
- a 13” tom in place of the aux snare

I’ve done the 2nd pair of hats on the right in the past and really loved how it opened up the kit to my left hand.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since 1992 I've played 90% of my gigs with a two up, two down setup.

I'm thinking of adding some electronics, likely a Roland SPD-SX. I'm currently with a band that does 80s covers.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I usually play 13/16FT/22 for the rock gigs, but sometimes 12/14FT/22 if I want to use a different kit. I'd make the kit a 13/14FT/16FT/22 if I were to add one more drum.

As for rock gig cymbals, I usually play 14H/18CR/19CR/22R. I sometimes add a 20CR off to the far right. If I wasn't so lazy, I'd run it 14HH/18CR/18CR/19CR/20CR/22R. It would be nice to have open crashes all over the kit, but I'd rather keep it minimal and simplified.

Deafmoon

Reaction score
I would add an efx or piccolo snare to the left of my hi hats. I know it’s been done, but I just hear so many interesting grooves that could come out of it.

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I play a large setup: 2-BD/2-up/2-down/snare and 10 cymbals. I've been alternating between 3 different ride cymbals (my main ride is a 2015-vintage 22" K Zildjian), and a couple of weeks ago I got another stand, moved some things around and made a permanent spot in my setup for a second 22" ride cymbal. That spot alternates between a 1988-vintage 22" K Heavy and a brand-new 22" A Avedis Dark. No such thing as too many rides!