If you can't find them, make them - nylon tips

REF

Reaction score
Awhile back I asked if anyone knew of a supplier that sells nylon tips. The big companies use injection molding machines for tips these days but, wherever other smaller companies get their tips is a mystery to me. Being a diehard DIY I looked around and decided to try nylon spacers. Oh, yes, they work incredibly well.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Boy, as a confirmed DIYer and experienced cabinet guy, I'm all for your exploration. But, that's a LOT of work for a drumstick. (Of course, just the DOING is the fun part, isn't it? I plead guilty on all accounts for building things that I could have bought for 1/2 the cost, and none of the effort. But what fun is that, huh?)

GeeDeeEmm

REF

Reaction score
Boy, as a confirmed DIYer and experienced cabinet guy, I'm all for your exploration. But, that's a LOT of work for a drumstick. (Of course, just the DOING is the fun part, isn't it? I plead guilty on all accounts for building things that I could have bought for 1/2 the cost, and none of the effort. But what fun is that, huh?)

GeeDeeEmm
I would agree the exploration and experimentation part accounted to a fair amount of work to begin with, at 3-4 minutes a stick and dozens of sticks.

That said, now that I am down to my favorites, at 8 sticks per run, which last me many months, if not more than a year, 32 minutes is nothing. At $10 a pr. for manufactured sticks, I consider $4 or less a real blessing. Plus, I get the added articulation and volume from the new tips. Perhaps I should post that video, as well. If for no other reason than custom made sticks for wood, weight, shape and tip design, I have to consider the whole process a success, even with the time spent on some failures to begin with.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Informative & insightful clip, Ray.
I can certainly hear the sonic difference between the denser woods vs. the poplar & maple as well.
Thanks for taking the time to share your findngs. Kit looks cool!

Latest posts