If You Could Find One Drum...

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
How many of y’all have a holy grail drum? The drum you’ve been searching for for years but that’s never turned up, or that’s been snatched up by another buyer before you even knew it was available.

What is the one drum above all others that you wish you could add to your collection?

There’s many drums I dream about, but the one I’d choose to show up on Craigslist a block away for $50? A champagne sparkle Ludwig 24x14 with a B/O badge and rail mount. If I’m getting really specific, I want 5/16ths spurs and a clear interior. I’ve only seen a couple photos show up online, but never for sale. It’s always several owners removed from whoever posted the photos, or overseas and long lost to an American collector.

What’s your drum?

CSR

Member since May 2000
Reaction score
I played a Clevelander concert snare in a store once that was wonderful! My sticks literally flew off of the head and did anything my brain thought of. I’d pay/trade a lot for one.

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
Well...since I had the blue acrylic fibes kit I'd love a matching snare...preferably a 5x14 w/sft. I've only seen one matching snare and it went for over 400.

I'd like a Firchie time machine

and I'd like the 5x14 Walberg and Auge my best friend in grade school Gregg had (it started this obsession)....gretsch lugs, ludwig throw and a black shell with sparse red confetti

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I have always wanted a mod orange downbeat. keystone badge and it could be from 67-69. I have a 1969 mod orange super classic and a 1971 mod orange club date. I am very happy but since we are talking bout things that you have wanted and have never found, the downbeat is it.

If we are talking single drums that I would love to have an original oyster black jazzfest. I had the chance to get one around 1999 and the seller wanted $800 which I thought was a lot at the time. Silly me... I actually prefer the jazzfest from 1964 on. I know Ringo's model is the holy grail and worth thousands but as far as jazzfests in genral go I prefer the strainer to have a panel in between the badge and I like the 5" depth over the 5.5. That's just personal preference though.

drumstuff66

Reaction score
The Premier 11" x 13" Artist Birch (British Made...) floor tom that came with the Heritage Club set back in the late 90's/early 2000's in Silver Sparkle Lacquer...I've got the 6" x 10" tom from the Heritage Club and the 16" x 18" kick from the Heritage Jazz. GREAT drums...just need that elusive 13" floor! I've found some sources saying it was possibly a 10" x 13", but I think it would make a great "micro-kit"....

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This one. I had the opportunity to purchase it, but could not justify the cost for my particular collection. I did help the owner find the right buyer who is taking very good care of it.
Love that snare...

However, I was lusting after a late 70's/early 80's re-introduction engraved Supra-Phonic model (No. 451). Back in 1980 I bought a No. 417, and just didn't have the extra couple of bucks for that engraved version. These days, the prices for either the 451 or 417 is just plain crazy (especially with the notorious plating issues), and not worth it to me anymore.

Attachments

kdgrissom

Reaction score
My most desired unicorn is Oaklawn Camco 5x14 Aristocrat in Blue Moire wrap to go with my kit.
Other contenders (under the radar from "Management") are:
Rogers Dynasonic in blue glass glitter
4x14 20's-30's Ludwig Super
late 30's Radio King with all the bells and whistles
Camco Super 99

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm lucky. Really. I got mine: a 6.5 x 14 1964 Rogers Cleveland 3 ply blue sparkle Powertone to go along with my other Rogers blue sparkle drums. I don't have any other wants or needs for individual drums. It's the last drum I want or need...

...Right now, anyway!

Badge Assembled Reduced.jpg

SlingyFan

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Still waiting for some widow to post up her husband's Slingerland Black Beauty for $50. :icon_lol:

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I didn't know it at the time, but there was an 18x16 floor tom available when my kit was new. I saw a pic of one years later but have never seen one for sale.zt549HB.jpg

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
It’s more about full sets, instead of one drum. Camco, Rogers, old Ludwigs...like all of those. Old Luddy wood snares are fun, and different than modern stuff. Metals I think are easier duplicated, but early NOB drums are neat.

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
Not many vintage drums I haven’t owned or at least played umm I really have my grail Ludwig 70’s 402, it makes me happy, goes to just about every gig. There’s a few contemporary drums out there that catchmy eye , joyful noise, dw edge pretty nice sounding drums but nothing I have to have. I know boring right?!

Latest posts