If You Could Find One Drum...

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Not many vintage drums I haven’t owned or at least played umm I really have my grail Ludwig 70’s 402, it makes me happy, goes to just about every gig. There’s a few contemporary drums out there that catchmy eye , joyful noise, dw edge pretty nice sounding drums but nothing I have to have. I know boring right?!
JP, what, no wood Powertone for you? :)

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
I love the sound and sizes of my kit, which I’ve pieced together from various orphans, but I do wish they matched cosmetically. So I’m always hunting for one or two pieces that would be “just like” what I already have, but with matching wrap or finish.

I’m sure I would have saved a lot of time and money by just buying a complete matching kit in the first place, but that would require saving up the sum and delaying gratification.

Tanabata

Reaction score
The best thing I could ever wind up with is the actual drum kit Ron Tutt played with the Jerry Garcia Band: his Ludwig thermogloss, pretty sure was a 24" bass drum.

bkny110

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
!967 Mod Orange Jazz Fest with most if not all of it's magnificent purple still intact... Probably doesn't exist. :roll:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Having recently picked up a player's 20's Ludwig B.B., I think I am done with snares. I still don't have a 7x14 30's/40's Radio King (mine is mid-late 50's).
Kits - Amber Vistalite Bonzo kit, or a BOP Ludwig Ringo kit.

What I really want is an old 22" K Istanbul that is the perfect jazz ride......
I had a 20" K Ist. but it wasn't "the one".......I have an 18" K ist. and it's longing for its older brother.....

steambent

DFO Master
Reaction score
Leedy autograph of the stars snare. I passed on a whole kit in the early 80s as I had never seen the finish. All I wanted was WMP drums.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Oh I just remembered, my grail is a pair of bongos made by Cali Rivera (JCR). There have been a couple sets on ebay recently, one is listed at 900 and the other was listed at 1K but sold for “best offer”. So it’s a more or less attainable grail, but I haven’t been gigging on bongos in over a decade, and I don’t have the luxury of collector budget.

Gunnellett

Reaction score
Cool thread.

Mine is a 70's LA Camco concert tom in Stradivarius finish to go with my incomplete C-450 set. I have the bass and floor tom.

Oh, and would love for it to be the original with the matching serial number please!

thejohnlec

Reaction score
I've often pined for the Radio King I sold about 20 years ago. 6.5", WMP, 3 point throw, all original - a real specimen.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
!967 Mod Orange Jazz Fest with most if not all of it's magnificent purple still intact... Probably doesn't exist. :roll:

It exists. I don't own it but I saved a pic of one somewhere. It's from around Oct of 1967 and it's a beauty! I do have a mod orange jazz fest that is a real 60's jazzfest wrapped in original mod orange. The color is decent. It's not totally faded but it's not super vibrant either. It has a white interior and a BB muffler. I picked it up at the Chicago show around 2006 and it goes well with my 69 super classic.

bkny110

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have an October 1967 Orange Mod Hollywood Kit. I'm sure that 67 Mod snare would be priced out of my league, but one can dream! I believe I've seen your Orange kit on one of your postings. It is my favorite color, hands down!

SKSMITH

Reaction score
For me right now, it's two drums:
6"X 5-1/2" & 8"X 5-1/2" Pearl Made in Japan Maple Shell concert toms. Looking for the silver foil-like badged version, 1982 - 1983 or so.
Then I'm done for a while, until a I can coax a friend on mine's mother out of her father's old 1920's Ludwig & Ludwig bass & snare!
Steve

Latest posts