If You Could Find One Drum...

Drumbelly

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A Rogers 22” red sparkle bass drum. I have a large collection of red sparkle drums and can make many different set ups but none with a 22”. I can only can ever find a 20” which is what I currently have. I have seen sets with a 22”, but we’re either cost prohibitive, had bread and butter lugs, or were not in decent shape. Does anyone have a Rogers red sparkle 22” with beaver tail lugs?

jmoll

Reaction score
I have been lucky enough to find some "holy grail" snares, probably the two rarer ones being a Gretsch Gladstone 3way from 1939/41 and a Slingerland Radio King from 1938/42 in Sparkling Green.
I would love to find a Ludwig Black Beauty from the 20's some day.

Attachments

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Whatever snare drum Bun E. is playing on Cheap Trick’s The Flame.

I asked Bun E this once and maybe he will chime in and correct me. I thought he said it was a 20's NOB 5x14 tube lug snare. It does sound great on this recording. I kick myself because I went to the Hollywood drum show back in 1998 as I was living in Las Vegas for a really short time with a friend of mine. Bun E's gold sparkle classic Ludwig set from the videos was being sold for....$695! I couldn't believe it and if I didn't have to fly back to Vegas, I might have tried to stuff this in a car to get home. It was a Bonham sized set though so it would have taken up a lot of room. I have a pic of it somewhere with the price on it too because I couldn't believe it.

dale w miller

Reaction score
I asked Bun E this once and maybe he will chime in and correct me. I thought he said it was a 20's NOB 5x14 tube lug snare. It does sound great on this recording. I kick myself because I went to the Hollywood drum show back in 1998 as I was living in Las Vegas for a really short time with a friend of mine. Bun E's gold sparkle classic Ludwig set from the videos was being sold for....$695! I couldn't believe it and if I didn't have to fly back to Vegas, I might have tried to stuff this in a car to get home. It was a Bonham sized set though so it would have taken up a lot of room. I have a pic of it somewhere with the price on it too because I couldn't believe it.
Excuse my ignorance, but what is NOB? Is it a wood or metal snare?

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
Excuse my ignorance, but what is NOB? Is it a wood or metal snare?
Metal. It’s an acronym for Nickel Over Brass. The classic Black Beauty, for example, is so called because she’s black nickel over brass.

By comparison, COB would be Chrome Over Brass, while Moons Over My Hammy is a breakfast at Denny’s, but that’s not important right now.

dale w miller

Reaction score
Metal. It’s an acronym for Nickel Over Brass. The classic Black Beauty, for example, is so called because she’s black nickel over brass.

By comparison, COB would be Chrome Over Brass, while Moons Over My Hammy is a breakfast at Denny’s, but that’s not important right now.
Is it a 1920’s Ludwig Black Beauty. It seems incredibly warm for a metal snare, but then again my late 90’s BB is the warmest metal snare I have.

If you would have put a gun to my head, I would have sworn Bun E.’s was wood of some sort.

retrosonic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The best thing I could ever wind up with is the actual drum kit Ron Tutt played with the Jerry Garcia Band: his Ludwig thermogloss, pretty sure was a 24" bass drum.

How about that huge set that Ronnie Tutt played with Elvis, with all those rack toms. His playing with Elvis was fantastic.

utdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If we're talking a single drum mine would have to be the Sonor Signature snare that came with the full kits in the 80's. The Bubinga veneer inside and out is stunning. If we're talking full kits, it would be Le Soprano hand made stave kits out of Italy. We have plans to go to italy next year and have already factored in going to Bergamo and try to meet up with the staff. Great thread, great drums mentioned herein.

Kenwood

Reaction score
I wish I could locate a blue /olive 22" mod orange bass drum
or even just the bass drum shell and hoops In decent player's condition
maybe something with a few extra holes
My three toms are all in very good player's condition
with only faint traces of the purple still showing
so that would be the perfect match
but I would be happy with almost anything
P1010076.JPG

Kevaruka

Reaction score
Basically any Pearl Masters MMP "Redline" Drums in Black. (Especially a 10x8, 14x14 or 18x16) Nigh on impossible as only 5 of these kits made it into the UK.