If you could sell.....

bob

DFO Master
Reaction score
...every piece of drum gear you own for exactly what you paid for it, no exceptions, and start over, would you do it?

The whole lot would instantly disappear as soon as you said yes and the sum total would be in your PayPal account.
no

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My kit was gifted to me. Even if I could sell it for what it's worth on the open market, I would not do it. It's that special to me.
I have a nice set of A Zildjian cymbals that I bought at a killer price from Interstate Music when they offered a 25% coupon code. There's no way I could find something comparable if I sold them for what I paid. The same is true for my Craviotto snare, which I picked up new for just under $500. There's no way I could find a snare that is as versatile and satisfying at that price, IMO. I have a full set of DW 9000 series hardware that I might consider for this hypothetical deal in order to pick up something a bit lighter in weight, but I'm fairly content with what I have at this time. My Yamaha EAD10 has turned out to be an excellent practice tool so that's a keeper as well.

jsp210

Reaction score
Interesting question but I would say no because it has taken considerable time to select and get comfortable with particular kits, head choices, tunings that work for each drum, different cymbal combinations for different bands and rooms...etc.. I don't hoard but do have lots of choices and can say I have a rationale and use case for every instrument/tool/component in the collection. There is some redundancy and overlap for sure but to start over and apply all the internal data points in my brain towards acquiring similar stuff makes no sense. Yes there is some appeal to the idea of paring down to a minimal subset of stuff and having cash on hand and some people really do better not having a wider array choices to have to think about but I'm not wired that way and like multiple options for specific playing situations.

drummerfriend

Reaction score
Interesting question.. Fortunately, my answer is no. I really enjoy what I have. Took me a really long time to get here, but I made it.

backtodrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was thinking the other day about drums and what I wanted as opposed to what I need. I honestly don't really want or need a thing drum wise. I have more than I need now. I'm getting older and nearing the end of my run where I decide I'm done. My main kit I have now is in perfect shape and is over 20 years old without a scratch on them anywhere. My BOP kit is 7 years old and in perfect condition. I can't think of a gig or playing situation that I can't cover drum or cymbal wise, so I'm set for the rest of my life and most likely will not spend anymore money acquiring gear that I could easily do without. We'll see if I hold true to that over time however....

jaymandude

Reaction score
It took a long time. And a lot of buying and selling. But I'm set. I could make a few changes, like adding a 24 kick. But I realize I'd never play it. It's just a want... I'm really ok. Cymbals tho... I still need just a few things..

Squirrel Man

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm rethinking my earlier position, I guess it depends on what I could get.

I'm happy with what I got now but re-entering the market after 20 years and knowing what I know I trialed and errored some things but that's life, still wound up in a good spot.

The one thing I would have done is not bought the Roadshow kit for re-entry, mounting hardware is stupid crappy and I was going to sell it (I have it listed locally now) but I'm thinking of keeping it too. Shells really are fine and they sound good and I'm considering remounting the toms from the bass with better arms and mounting hardware. The stands are ok, the snare stand is crap. $100 in Gibraltar bass and tom mounts and new arms and basically the kit is fine, get a better snare stand and maybe a tom cymbal mount and use it as a gig kit for if/when I start that venture, hopefully soon.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Nope. I worked hard to get what I've got, and I'm quite pleased with what I've ended up with. Of course, getting there took a lot of crummy $100-a-night gigs combined with quite a bit of gear flipping, sometimes at a loss. But it was a fun pursuit.

Ask me this again in a year and I'll probably say yes. :lol:

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
Nope! I have good stuff bought new at very good prices plus I love what I have.

• Haha
Reactions: JDA

multijd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
...every piece of drum gear you own for exactly what you paid for it, no exceptions, and start over, would you do it?

The whole lot would instantly disappear as soon as you said yes and the sum total would be in your PayPal account.
Nah

Latest posts