If you could sell.....

Pibroch

Reaction score
No way - would be an absolutely massive waste of my time trying to find gear that would satisfy me at least as much as my current gear.

Deafmoon

Reaction score
No. A) The set of Sound Formula Paistes I have are no longer available and I would not be able to replace them even with Sigs since they don't even have a flat ride any longer. B) The Gretsch shells of the Vintage Gretsch 70's are thinner than the shells made today buy Keller, and finding Jasper shelled drums is like searching for a needle in the haystack.

Reactions: JDA

m.clover

Reaction score
Not just no, but hell no. I bought my 65 Ludwigs used in 67 for $125. Paper route money. Now you're saying I'd only get the buck twenty five back ? Sorry. No sale.

tgregorek

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’ve spent a lifetime collecting vintage Slingerland drums and Zildjian Cymbals. They don’t even make the 28” and 30” cymbals I have anymore. No, I love my drums and cymbals. Complete with vintage hardware.

Reaction score
No, I wouldn't...but, I have been thinking of making a change in my cymbals. I have three amazing kits, and have had them for several years and have no desire to lose them (which is a weird thing to say-I've always gotten bored with my gear and wanted something new). However, the cymbal company I play, Sabian, has been disappointing me lately. They have spun off in a new direction that I feel leaves me behind, which is okay, but I have found their QC has shat the bed along the way. I just received a $700 custom ride cymbal that I had them make and not only does it not sound right (it's a copy of a friend's ride), they agreed to put the old logo on for me on the top, and they put it on crooked. I stick with them because I have OCD (for real, I take meds for it), and I can't play just a few Zildjians on a whole big set of Sabians. I'll stick with them for now, and hope they improve.

rawbar

Reaction score
I have probably $10K into my kit, I bought a second small kit to gig with because my primary kit is has grown too large to move ever again (especially being on the 3rd floor and everything mic'd up). As much as I love that monstrosity and after 35 years of going through many kits, I finally found/built THE kit I can't imagine replacing (based around Yamaha Custom Absolutes which replaced my 80s vintage Bubinga Sonor Signatures which was the kit I thought I'd never part with), I simply don't use it much any more so I think I'd take the $$$ and downsize substantially......... as long as whoever buys it moves it :D

Last edited:

YabaMTV

Reaction score
I think I would. But this is a tough one for me. While it is true that I am looking to sell 90% of my collection there are a few things I would want to keep particularly portions of my cymbal collection. So to do this I would have to accept the benefits of unloading the 90% without losing any money versus losing the few things I would not want to sell. The N&C Star Series and Ludwig kits are basically irreplaceable. I probably won’t find another Star kit for sale and it took my over 5 years to get the Ludwig project done and Andy Foote stole $700 from me when I initially tried to use his drum shop in Nashville to aquire the wrap. He took the money but never produced the goods. I hear he did this to many people based on online reviews. I don’t really want to part with my N&C Star Series kit either. I probably wouldn’t want to part with my Ludwig kit that I had Jack Lawton rewrap with custom aged top-hat and cane wrap I had made.

AgDrumma07

DFO Master
Reaction score
No, too much nostalgia for me in most of my gear. If it had been just one big purchase at one time, I might answer differently.

chrisr777

Reaction score
Well, forty years ago it wasn't worth close to what it would cost today. But even if I got double what it would cost to replace today I would say no.

RettaW75

Reaction score
I MIGHT but ONLY if there was a kit wayyyy out of my price range and I REALLY wanted it, and knew that I could have it if I sold everything.

sixplymaple

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope! Especially because I paid dealer cost for my DW kit with hardware back in 2006. I had a friend managing the store. :)

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have had a crazy Decade and a half of buying and selling drums and cymbals . I tried documenting it and the lists were very long . I do have my preferred brands that I have owned more than a kit or a snare of and I have an obvious favourite drum brand ( N&C ) and cymbal brand ( Paiste ). I have become very mercenary about drums and cymbals . I have very little sentimental attachment to the majority of my gear . I generally buy equipment for one of three reasons :1) I have a specific need for a musical situation 2) It sounds better than something I currently own 3) I got an insanely good price on it .

I have finally settled and n a brand that I have long admired from a manufacturer that I admire and have built a friendship . Noble and Cooley tick off all the boxes for me .

Slingwig26

Reaction score
...every piece of drum gear you own for exactly what you paid for it, no exceptions, and start over, would you do it?

The whole lot would instantly disappear as soon as you said yes and the sum total would be in your PayPal account.
I would not. I purchased most at cost when I worked at a music store and will never get deals like that again. 18 Ludwig CM nat mpl drums and 25 new Paiste’s. Not to mention 2 guitars a kyb amp, mics , recording equp, and hardware. Oh, and a killer attic whit ludwig epic jazzette , new, for $300., delivered.

If I sell it all I am buying a corvette, like someone mentioned earlier, haha.

kzac

Reaction score
...every piece of drum gear you own for exactly what you paid for it, no exceptions, and start over, would you do it?

The whole lot would instantly disappear as soon as you said yes and the sum total would be in your PayPal account.
No ... I would not sell all of my drum equipment today... as My drums are very rare and produce exactly the sound I desire.... So why sell something I looked years to acquire, just to start the quest over and probably wind up with an empty hand....
I'll fold

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score

No. I wouldn't do it. Some things are more important than money and I have a close friendship with some of my instruments

Rufus T Firefly

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I just went through everything to update my insurance and I was embarrassed. I am a ok at best drummer who plays in his basement for the 1 dog who isn’t scared off by the noise and have no business spending half of what the house is worth on gear.
I badly need to update my insurance but I keep putting it off, pretty much for the same reason as you mentioned...... but none of my 4 dogs will go anywhere near the drum room. LOL

Latest posts