If you had $500 to spend on an available snare

kevmill70

Reaction score
I’d go have a steak-and-lobster dinner with my wife, Uber both ways and get
a $200 snare the next morning.
Amen. Pearl makes some fine snares. There isn't much that a Sensitone or a Utility Snare can't do, if anything

Jazzhead

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Gretsch brooklyn COB…

However, the smart thing would be to get a $100-150 snare and change the head and wires and tune it to sound like a $500+ snare! And it will sound like that, and save the rest or buy something else. $300 left!

fredpasta

Reaction score
New - PDP Concept Classic 14x7" wood shell Well under 500 I think (if still available
Used - Pearl Steve Ferrone 14x6 1/2" brass - around 500 on Ebay these days if you can find one (discontinued years ago)
Both wonderful drums

Bonus pick - Pearl brass free floating picollo 14x 3 1/2" (original 80's era) Should still be under 500 I'd think.

Drummingfool11

Reaction score
I’d get a maple copper hybrid from pork pie or a Stewart Copeland sig/pearl COB with the top diecast hoop.

Aaronjiski

Reaction score
I would look for a Radioking or a Pioneer but also I have found another killer snare for a very reasonable price.
The PDP Concept 3mm aluminum, it comes with walnut hoops top and bottom.
It’s actually a great snare for the money and it doesn’t feel flimsy and has tone and power. I got mine for $427 shipped brand new. You can also obviously replace the walnut hoops with die-cast and have yourself a Supraphonic on steroids.

drumsforme

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rogers Super Ten does it all....Very sensitive, full bodied, strong rim shots..... speaks with authority. Most versatile steel snare ever.

Johnny 20

Reaction score
I was just in this situation and I bought a Pork Pie 8 ply maple 14x6.5. It has a tremendous amount of body and range, particularly down in the low to mid region. It just sounds and plays great! I've tried several different heads and guess what? They all sound fantastic.

R1CK

Reaction score

Pearl VP1480 14x8 Vinnie Paul Signature Snare​

I'd be happy if I find it for $500​

Attachments

• 20220422_103137.jpg
    20220422_103137.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 7

David M Scott

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If you had $500 to spend on an available snare used or new what would you buy?
I found it with my Mapex 5 1/2 x 14 Brass Cat. Very tunable:
medium for Jazz, high for Blues/Rock. The double ended snare control allows almost infinite possibilities. I paid $530 Canadian and it's worth every cent. I recently installed a Remo Emperor Black Suede batter head which gives great stick response at any tuning and works fine with brushes.

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I pl

Pearl VP1480 14x8 Vinnie Paul Signature Snare​

I'd be happy if I find it for $500​

Played one of these recently and it sounded really good. I was a little nervous to have spikes sticking out towards my nether-region though.

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would spend 35-50 on new heads and snares for my current snare drum and pocket the rest ...
I don't spend excessive money on snare drums. Never have. and No one has ever complained about the sound of my snare drum after a concert...
People who purchase such items are simply falling for marketing hype. You know the Ludwig 400 snare everybody drools over today, was considered an entry level, concert snare when I bought my Ludwig Pro-Beat kit in 1972-73.
I don't own and signature snare and don't plan to. I don't buy signature guitars for the identical reason..
I buy what what I like, what serves me best..
The Supraphonic was never an entry-level drum. You're thinking of the Acrolite.

Dustin_S

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If you had $500 to spend on an available snare used or new what would you buy?
I'd buy back the 12x6.5 inch Mapex Black Panther popcorn snare I sold to my guitarist back when I was in dire(er) financial straits. he gave me 150 for it, but the snare is worth more than 500 bucks to me. I never would have sold it if homelessness weren't the only option.

My mom bought that snare for me as a gift back when we went to Boston for my Berklee audition.