If you had to choose.

Willsims242

Reaction score
I like rides that I can use to crash on. I’ve been up in the air between two for my next ride. I’ve been using a 22 Meinl Byzance Med as my go to. I’m thinking about switching over to a 22 Zildjian K Light because I love the way it sounds. I’ve never actually played one though. I’m Heavy/blues/rock and wondering if anyone has had any experience with both cymbals. My set up is 20 crash, 21 crash, 22 ride. Love the big cymbals thanks for any advise in advance

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
The K lights are nice. I have a 24 and had a 22 at one point. But it depends on how much ping you want. I actually like the K Dark Medium for more things, and it can still be sorta crashed.

I have no idea about the meinl stuff. I’m a Zildjian man.

Last edited:

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I like having several rides, but due to money, not always possible. If it were me I’d have at least one washy type of ride and another ride or two with more ping. I graduate up in the ping category from the K Dark Med to the K Heavy. So I have both of those. I like the K Lights and also K Cons for more light and washy. Don’t forget you can also try finding some nice vintage A Zildjians that sound great. Might could find two old As of varying sizes/weights for the price of a more current model K.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don’t forget you can also try finding some nice vintage A Zildjians that sound great. Might could find two old As of varying sizes/weights for the price of a more current model K.
Man, how true.

It's like going down the bread aisle these days - there's a thousand different breads!!! And none of them are as good as good ol Wonder Bread. That's what Zil A's are, the Wonder Bread of cymbals.

Sometimes I think I should just try and stop figuring out all of the different lines of cymbals by all these different companies, and just go out and put together a nice set of vintage A's. Super simple, easy to figure out, they're cheap and sound really good in almost every situation.

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Man, how true.

It's like going down the bread aisle these days - there's a thousand different breads!!! And none of them are as good as good ol Wonder Bread. That's what Zil A's are, the Wonder Bread of cymbals.

Sometimes I think I should just try and stop figuring out all of the different lines of cymbals by all these different companies, and just go out and put together a nice set of vintage A's. Super simple, easy to figure out, they're cheap and sound really good in almost every situation.
I am right there with you. I actually have a list together on paper but have not started the search yet. But the Zildjian A’s of the 60’s and some 70’s sound better than some of the newer K’s.

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
There is something nice about just grabbing some regular old A Zildjians. I find that each one is unique despite being machine hammered. They all kinda age slightly differently and have their own unique characteristics. They’re not quite like digging through a box of 100 Wuhans trying to get the nice one, but there are just enough variants from the older method if manufacture that you can find some subtle (and sometimes big) differences in tone. It’s an adventure.

I love my Paistes. I really do. But 60s and 70s Zillys are always a good bet!

Frank Godiva

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Man, how true.

too bad old A’s didn’t come with trading cards like Wonder

A830EAFD-C500-4C38-BDA9-A2DEC3D3BF48.jpeg
BD74325D-220B-43FF-B3DF-2E82923A59A8.jpeg