If You Were Going to Buy a New Drum Set, What Would it Be?

coastie

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’m real close to ordering my last drum set. At 62 years old, I think I know exactly what I want.

It’s almost a no brainer to me that a 24, 13, 16 (and maybe an 18) Gretsch USA custom in some kind of Duco finish will be it for me.

If not that set, I’ll order up a set of maple, cherry or walnut solid shells in the same sizes from Micah at Cask drum craft in Spokane, Wa. The other side of Wa. State from where I live. Their work is phenomenal at a real reasonable price point. I recently took delivery of a Rosewood snare from them and it’s everything I thought it would be and more and Micah is great to deal with.

drummer64

Reaction score
I would NEVER buy a new drum set. I REALLY DISLIKE the following on "new" drums:
1) no tuning rods on the bass drum - ridiculous.....especially considering the price.
2) unsightly and useless "black" gaskets under each lug - why are they needed?
3) ride toms either mounted to the bass with MASSIVE, unsightly and clunky hardware OR hanging from some floor stand.....or sitting on top of a snare stand - all ugly and useless (the tom mounts of the 60s and 70s were just fine and the toms sounded fine also)
4) and, I guess the biggest reason - THE PRICE. For the same amount of money, and most likely LESS, you could get a beautiful VINTAGE set (just bought this 1964 Rogers set for $1,400 - I've had the snare since 1970....its a 1967 Powertone).

Sort of related (more complaints here, from the old man - been drumming since 1965) are the "mic hole" in the bass from resonant head - UGLY, and black bass drum resonant heads - UGLY.

Thank-you and NO OFFENSE to anyone...just my views.

Attachments

• 1964  Rogers #17.jpg
    1964 Rogers #17.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 1964 Rogers #15.jpg
    1964 Rogers #15.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 24
  • Rogers Headliner WMP (from 67-68 catalogue).jpg
    Rogers Headliner WMP (from 67-68 catalogue).jpg
    53 KB · Views: 27

fusseltier

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had several drum sets in my life, my first one when I was like 13 was a Ludwig stainless steel 5 piece set.
After that, they all had wrapped shells and I never had a natural wood finish, which was my dream set. Finally I decided to get my dream set, I wanted a Tama starclassic set, but that year was the first time they started making starclassic in China and I wasn't going to spend that kind of money on a Chinese set, I wanted 4 rack toms and two floor toms but I was changing from a double bass to a single bass with a double pedal.
So, I decided to special order tama star walnut 8 Piece set of shells and matching 14x6.5 snare from Japan, because the region I live you have to order from Japan directly. So I made a list of all the shells I wanted and their depth and got the tama star walnut charcoal Japanese Sen, natural wood finish, hand made and hand finished inside and out. They're really a work of art.
And I decided to get the power tower rack system and stop using so many stands.
Here's a couple pics of them and during the assembly.

Attachments

• 1534386902244.jpg
    1534386902244.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 20180719_153345.jpg
    20180719_153345.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 45
  • 20180719_153645(1).jpg
    20180719_153645(1).jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 45

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I really have no more room. With 21 kits and over 50 snares, I'm pretty good. In the weeks to come, I may add a bell brass snare(probably a Gretsch). Things like a vintage Imperialstar hold a bit of attraction, because I've never owned one. New? I like what I have heard from companies like SJC. Really, though, I'm biased toward Pork Pie. Bill Detamore instantly returned a phone call of mine not knowing me from Adam, and I'm convinced he wants my business. I love what I have heard of Pork Pie products. Seems like no drama, just drums.

Dan

Reaction score
The dream would be to find an early 60s NOS Black Galaxy Sparkle Ludwig Hollywood kit with canister throne. (Does NOS qualify as new?)

Angelo Zollo

Reaction score
I have no need for a new drum set, but I often find myself dreaming about buying a new kit.

For me, if I were to buy a new set of drums, it would probably be a Gretsch Broadkaster in tangerine sparkle in a 20/12/14/16 set up.

What about you?
I had always wanted a 20/12/14/16 set. I had the shells, put on a lovely stain and dressed them out with Dunnett hardware. I am pleased. I will decide next month to trim down and sell my 6 piece Sonor De-Lites

TorchmanRG

Reaction score
Lot's of love for Gretsch in this thread. I gotta say that I had a really bad experience with Gretsch. I had a 2000 Jasper shell Broadkaster kit that had so many quality issues. Spinning/rattling badges, rough spots on bearing edges, one shell went out of round, spurs and tom mounts that wouldn't hold tight without a memory lock. The kick and snare were great, but the toms were really tough to get a good sound out of - choked right up when you went for a jazz tuning. That kit was such a disappointment. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Have things improved in recent years?

Anyway, back to the question at hand. If I was buying a new kit it would definitely be a Canopus RFM kit. Don't know why Canopus hasn't caught on more, they make such great drums.

YabaMTV

Reaction score
It would either convince Jay Jones to build me another one of his steam bent Noble & Cooley SS Classic kits or as an alternative I would go with a solid shell Luka kit.

Lorenz

Reaction score
I have no need for a new drum set, but I often find myself dreaming about buying a new kit.

For me, if I were to buy a new set of drums, it would probably be a Gretsch Broadkaster in tangerine sparkle in a 20/12/14/16 set up.

What about you?
Same sizes ("downbeats" are capable of everything, literally, plus super-easy to carry around and the 16 is a very nice add-on) but I'd go for Ludwig Legacy Mahogany with no gaskets all around, Atlas mounts and I'd like 'em coming in lacquer Duco finish, red-silver or maybe even green-gold.

Tubwompus

Reaction score
No legal action?
Been too long.
I contacted the attorney generals of both states (mine and his). They contacted him and he responded with statements that were full of lies. Fortunately for me, once I hit him up for a refund, all correspondence had to be text-only. Both attorney generals have the text log to prove he was lying all over the place. But they both said the only option is mediation, which would be worthless in this instance. Even his website is dormant. He’s gone underground. At least he can’t rip off anyone else for the time being.

(Sorry if I aired too much dirty laundry.)

StatesboroBlue

Reaction score

What about you?
I bought my current dream drum kit last May, Gretsch Broadkaster in burgundy sparkle in downbeat sizes. I suspect if I were to do it again, it would come down to the same major players: Gretsch USA offerings, Ludwig Legacy offerings, possibly DW Camco repro or some suitable vintage offering. If I were to buy another kit--sadly I am already thinking of it--it would be vintage.

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hadn’t purchased a “new” drum set since 1985. Last year I had a set of shells built for me by Mark at Eames drums, in Saugus Massachusetts. To say that these are the finest drums I’ve ever played is a vast understatement. View attachment 544776
Mark does birch exclusively, right? At least that’s what I recall from a number of years ago.

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
Been too long.
I contacted the attorney generals of both states (mine and his). They contacted him and he responded with statements that were full of lies. Fortunately for me, once I hit him up for a refund, all correspondence had to be text-only. Both attorney generals have the text log to prove he was lying all over the place. But they both said the only option is mediation, which would be worthless in this instance. Even his website is dormant. He’s gone underground. At least he can’t rip off anyone else for the time being.

(Sorry if I aired too much dirty laundry.)
Sorry to hear that, man.

Hulakatt

Reaction score
yeah, I'm pretty set with my 60's Gretsch and Ludwig kits. If I was looking for something new, I'd look at one of the current Sonor Vintage kits or one of the Barton kits. If I was looking for another vintage kit, I'd look for a Meazzi Hollywood, a Ludwig Vistalite jellybean or a Ludwig Salesman kit.

coyote

Reaction score
A local store had a gorgeous maple DW bop set. I almost bought it, but am glad I didn’t. But that would be what I’d buy if I were going to buy.

Davo

Reaction score
Probably DW’s .
But my Vintage Rogers are just fine .