header.nohb.html

If You Were Going to Buy a New Drum Set, What Would it Be?

fusseltier

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m real close to ordering my last drum set. At 62 years old, I think I know exactly what I want.

It’s almost a no brainer to me that a 24, 13, 16 (and maybe an 18) Gretsch USA custom in some kind of Duco finish will be it for me.

If not that set, I’ll order up a set of maple, cherry or walnut solid shells in the same sizes from Micah at Cask drum craft in Spokane, Wa. The other side of Wa. State from where I live. Their work is phenomenal at a real reasonable price point. I recently took delivery of a Rosewood snare from them and it’s everything I thought it would be and more and Micah is great to deal with.

I know exactly how or what you mean about the last set. I never had a natural wood finish and I always wanted it so much, had wraps on the several other sets I had in my life, and when I was like 13 my first set was a Ludwig stainless steel 5 piece set, and like I said, everything in between my first set and my last set had wrap, but I always dreamed of natural wood.
I finally got my dream set a few years ago when I was 54-55 years old Tama Star Walnut, 4 rack toms and 2 floor toms, and a 20x18 bass drum, and matching walnut 14x6.5 snare .
18 inches was the longest depth for the 20 inch bass drum. I ordered the traditional depths for the toms rather than the shorter depth they normally have now for the toms and the longest depth for the bass.

Tyro

Reaction score
For me, it would be a Gretsch Broadkaster in Anniversary Sparkle or possibly Mardi Gras, 12/15/20. No space for it though…

Drumprof

Reaction score
Already bought it
Already have the receipts

"I'm too big for this Ride"

0419-incredicoaster-height-requirement-800x1200.jpg
Awesome

katulu

Reaction score

Gretsch USA Custom 7pc in Satin Azure Blue for me.​

DavedrumsTX

Reaction score
I actually ordered and paid for what was going be my last drum kit, the only one I was gonna play for the rest of my time going around the sun. Every gig, every session. Built by whom I considered to be the finest custom drum maker on earth. I knew for 30 years that I was gonna get one of his kits someday before I bought the farm.

That was 5 years ago.

Never got them.

Or any money back.

Other than that, I have just about every drumkit I’ve ever wanted, except for a set of Camcos.
Ok. So why did you not receive them?

Tubwompus

Reaction score
Ok. So why did you not receive them?
Between a shoulder surgery, which I completely understood would slow down the process by 6 months (that was the forgivable part), followed by his general apathy toward finishing the project (in one instance, he’d told me that he was “just about to get them down and work on them” when his buddies showed up who were going to a car show. As if I was supposed to understand, he said, “well…y’know…a car show…c’mon.” This was about 18 months into the project. I’m just citing this as an example.)
After 3 years, I finally just told him to give me a refund, no hard feelings. At that point, he accused me of [his words] “trying to destroy him”. I could go a half-mile deeper into it, but that is a little insight into the picture.

Last edited:

NoMotivationDrummer

Reaction score
That depends on if it's a new, (to me), drumset, or a new drumset!

For a new, (to me), drumset, I would be looking for an '80s TAMA Superstar in Aquamarine Lacquer (14x6.5, 12x8, 16x16, 22x14)

For a new drumset, I would probably save up and get myself a custom made DW kit in a purple burst finish (12x8, 16x16, 18x18, 22x14)

goodcat1337

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'd love to have a Saturn kit in the Red/Blue sparkle from a few years ago. I haven't seen any for sale in a long time though.