If You Were Going to Buy a New Drum Set, What Would it Be?

Malc

Reaction score
If money were no object, I'd truly love a British Drum Company Nicko McBrain "Icarus" signature kit.
A very close second would be a replica of Ian Moseley's Ravenglass kit.

Attachments

• 449dc02a43c4f9969c29c217c98af535.jpg
    449dc02a43c4f9969c29c217c98af535.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 37
  • 38edec_8382c7d08eb2439fa6f7bc5bdf97231dmv2.jpg
    38edec_8382c7d08eb2439fa6f7bc5bdf97231dmv2.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 39

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A couple of years ago I was gigging a lot, so I went crazy and bought my Gretsch USA Custom shell bank.

Then the pandemic happened...

Of course, I still have my DW Collector's Series kit and two vintage Slingerland kits. I practice daily on my 1960s Slingerland kit and keep my 1970s Slingerland kit at my bassist's house where we rehearse each week. The DWs and the Gretsch shell bank are in cases awaiting suitable gigs.

I don't know if I'll ever gig enough again for the gear that I have. (I'm still hopeful!)

Eventually I will scale back to just one kit.

I've considered buying a walnut Craviotto to be that final kit.

Last edited:

Ralph27

Reaction score
Perhaps it's my age, the times, and just general nostalgia, but I would love to have a MIJ silver sparkle 4 piece again. My very first kit. It might have been a mix of Stewart and Mercury but doesn't matter. I just might have to check out Reverb now!

JimmySticks

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised more guys didn't opt for a Craviotto kit. That's my dream set.

There was also a George H Way kit, an Aristocrat Acacia, that I thought was one of the most beautiful sounding drum kits I ever heard. They'd be on my short list to.

Glad to see Pork Pie getting some love in this thread. Great drums.

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I just separated from my dream set , the Tama Star Maple in Wild Sea Blue Bosse...It was tough. It was love at first tune. We thought we were going to be together forever. I do not want a "rebound" set right now...It would not be fair to her or me. I will know when the right one comes along.

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
USA Custom to complete my trio (have a Brooklyn and Broadkaster).
Canopus or a Sonor Teardrop/ Vintage Series have caught my attention as well.

…and if it ever pops up, a mint oyster Sakae Trilogy bop kit.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised more guys didn't opt for a Craviotto kit. That's my dream set.

There was also a George H Way kit, an Aristocrat Acacia, that I thought was one of the most beautiful sounding drum kits I ever heard. They'd be on my short list to.

Glad to see Pork Pie getting some love in this thread. Great drums.
I’m trying to be realistic or I’d have said Craviotto…..
I played a kit in my old rehearsal house .
It was nothing short of amazing ..

And I’m an old “ drums sound like drums “ guy ……..

But geeeze …….they were special.

gbow

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good question. Would actually take some work and research to decide.

Noble & Cooley, Tama star, Sonor SQ2, Craviotto, Oriollo, Jenkins Martin.... The list goes on.. But those would be on my short list. For the wood kits, I'm not even settled on the type. Walnut, Bubinga, Maple, things like the N&C Horizon kit and others are combinations of woods. Then there are the fiberglass, etc. kits.

There are so many good choices these days. I have a 1990 N&C kit, which is great, but I think their new kits are even better with more attention to detail. I've heard a few guys say that the Tama Star line is as good as it gets in terms of quality, fit and finish. But are they any better than the others I've mentioned? I don't see how, once it's all pretty close to perfect, it's hard to be "better." And I'm sure there are other kits just as good that I haven't listed.

Even playing kits doesn't uncover everything. Drums sound so different in different rooms, different heads, etc. etc. You have to "live" with a kit for a while to really understand whether you really like it.

The only thing I do know is that I would be in the market for the highest end kit I could find and I would be very picky about every little detail. I already have many kits in many locations, so if I were to get another one I would attempt to obtain the best one I've ever had.

gabo