header.nohb.html

If You Were Going to Buy a New Drum Set, What Would it Be?

David Hunter

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've been bitten by the Ludwig bug the past couple of years and have built a modest but nice stable of them. If I was going to consider another, this full dress 110th Anniversary Legacy Mahogany intrigues me. I have a love/meh relationship with the finish and can't decide whether it's great or just missing the mark.
110th.jpg

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
If money were no object I'd probably give a Craviotto set a try.

Otherwise probably would give Gretsch Broadkaster or Ludwig Legacy a go.

Last edited:

toddbishop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Probably a Sonor beech set, bop sizes-- whatever they're making now that doesn't look stupid.

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had it for over a decade. My retirement and dream kit, my Yamaha Maple Custom Absolutes in Plum Stain. I'd say a Black Yamaha Rock Tour Custom kit, but I've had it since 1991. Then I'd say a re-ringed Tama Imperialstar mega-monster kit in Black, but I've had that since 1980. Nothing else has ever called me since. Guess that happens when you've owned over 30 kits of 13 different brands in over 5 decades. Slim pickings.

Trilock_Gurtu

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I haven't bought a new kit in many years. There's so many good used/vintage kits out there. That being said, I've been thinking about getting a new kit (or two...three), the last couple of years. The main reason being, I can get it exactly how I want it. I prefer/like shallow rack toms. Sizes would be: 22x14, 16x16, 13x7, 12x7, 10x7. Here's my current considerations.

- Gretsch USA custom. There's several finishes I like; walnut satin, walnut gloss, maple antique gloss, natural satin maple, and gold mist satin. Depending on the finish I picked, different finish on the bass drum hoops.
- Noble and Cooley Classic Walnut. Natural finish - gloss, oval brass badges, brass lugs, chrome for the rest, natural maple bass drum hoops (gloss also).
- Canopus RFM. Bitter brown finish with brass finished lugs, natural maple bass drum hoops (satin also).
- Ludwig Classic Oak. Finish - too many to pick from.

I've considered more boutique kits, but generally resale values aren't as good. Snares, that's a longer list.

drums1225

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For me, having just got my "new" STAR Maple kit (20/10/12/14/16) in early 2020, I'd like to add an 18x14 bass drum and possibly another 12" rack tom, so I could have two independent kit configurations.

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

artvandalaye

Reaction score
USA Custom to complete my trio (have a Brooklyn and Broadkaster).
Canopus or a Sonor Teardrop/ Vintage Series have caught my attention as well.

…and if it ever pops up, a mint oyster Sakae Trilogy bop kit.
Not sure where you're located, but this mint oyster Trilogy shell bank has been up on FB Marketplace for quite a while...

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me, having just got my "new" STAR Maple kit (20/10/12/14/16) in early 2020, I'd like to add an 18x14 bass drum and possibly another 12" rack tom, so I could have two independent kit configurations.
I’ve been wondering about the true differences between an 18” and a 20” kick. I know that 18” is the only officially “permitted” or accepted size for jazz, but couldn’t you just use your 20” and adjust the heads/tuning/playing?

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I’ve been wondering about the true differences between an 18” and a 20” kick. I know that 18” is the only officially “permitted” or accepted size for jazz, but couldn’t you just use your 20” and adjust the heads/tuning/playing?
Joe Morello used a 22 inch bass drum, so there goes the "officially permitted" size :) Many jazz drummers back in the day used a 20 (as did a lot of rock drummers). There is no real official size IMHO. Hell, lately I have been using a 16" bass drum for classic rock (50s/60s) and pop from the same era. Use what you feel good with and apply your personal tuning preferences and tuning to get the sound you want. Plus, if you need a small kit to be louder, that is the reason why mics were invented :)

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joe Morello used a 22 inch bass drum, so there goes the "officially permitted" size :) Many jazz drummers back in the day used a 20 (as did a lot of rock drummers). There is no real official size IMHO. Hell, lately I have been using a 16" bass drum for classic rock (50s/60s) and pop from the same era. Use what you feel good with and apply your personal tuning preferences and tuning to get the sound you want. Plus, if you need a small kit to be louder, that is the reason why mics were invented :)
Oh yeah, I agree with you completely and was just being a bit tongue in check when I wrote that. Big band jazz players used bigger bass drums and some prog rock drummers used 18s, so it’s really up to the drummer rather than the musical style. Having said that, I would be surprised to see any professional jazz drummer use a kit with say an 18x22 bass drum and 10/12/16 toms.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
know the dimensions (that you need)
drums aren't furniture
You make more of the noise than shells hoops lugs heads plys grain orientation
but do find what you like
and is moderately to comfortably sized
ha!
I would add that you must find it very aesthetically pleasing as well …..

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think one should become known for their kits for instance my old Slingerland kit was pretty much all I gigged for years , once in a while I play another , but it became my sig .

You know Steve Gadds kit , Charlie Watts
Neil’s , Etc ………….

I haven’t gigged my Fibes enough yet .

GretschMan61

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a Gretsch USA Custom on order that will tick off all the boxes for me . I have all the kits I am really jonesing for now to be honest. The Gretsch purchase was made as much in sentiment (I have owned more Gretsch kits than any brand) as it is sound and the finish ( Caribbean twilight ).

I am done with boutique kits and super Uber flagship kits . The Gretsch is perfect for the stuff I am doing .
15426736-C58D-46D8-8EBB-F1C7BAD4789E.jpeg

Last edited:

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
I just separated from my dream set , the Tama Star Maple in Wild Sea Blue Bosse...It was tough. It was love at first tune. We thought we were going to be together forever. I do not want a "rebound" set right now...It would not be fair to her or me. I will know when the right one comes along.

Really bummed it didn’t work out Murat. You guys were great together.