If You Were Going to Buy a New Drum Set, What Would it Be?

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Gretsch USA Custom on order that will tick off all the boxes for me . I have all the kits I am really jonesing for now to be honest. The Gretsch purchase was made as much in sentiment (I have owned more Gretsch kits than any brand) as it is sound and the finish ( Caribbean twilight ).

I am done with boutique kits and super Uber flagship kits . The Gretsch is perfect for the stuff I am doing .
I love that Caribbean Twilight finish and almost snagged a broadkaster kit in that color but someone else was quicker on the draw.

JimmyM

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm torn between a set of Ludwig Classic Maples or a set of Yamaha Recording Customs in the standard Buddy Rich sizes but with a black wood finish. I'd never in a million years pay the prices they want for them new, though. Someone else can take the depreciation for bashing them up the same way I would.

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm torn between a set of Ludwig Classic Maples or a set of Yamaha Recording Customs in the standard Buddy Rich sizes but with a black wood finish. I'd never in a million years pay the prices they want for them new, though. Someone else can take the depreciation for bashing them up the same way I would.
Those two kits are frequently available used, though maybe not in your preferred setup.

Mapex Always

Reaction score
If I was buying a new drum set , it would have to be either a Star , SQ2 , Craviotto or Masterworks …. It might be hard to choose between the four though :)

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I was buying a new drum set , it would have to be either a Star , SQ2 , Craviotto or Masterworks …. It might be hard to choose between the four though :)
But you already have all of those coming to you, or at least 3 of them.

Obiwandrumobe

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
MonkeyDrummer.jpg

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thinking about it carefully I honestly couldn't justify anything more expensive than a Mapex Saturn.
What I’ve never understood about the Saturns is that they get amazing reviews and are a direct competitor for the Starclassic Walnut/Birch but they depreciate so much whereas the Tamas seem to still hold their resale value. I have no idea why. Maybe Mapex isn’t doing enough to market them.

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
What I’ve never understood about the Saturns is that they get amazing reviews and are a direct competitor for the Starclassic Walnut/Birch but they depreciate so much whereas the Tamas seem to still hold their resale value. I have no idea why. Maybe Mapex isn’t doing enough to market them.
Mapex is now where Pearl and Tama were years ago.

mkelley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Because I've supported "my team" for about 30-35 years, it's time I purchased a new Premier kit. Especially since Premier has new US distribution and new UK owner who both seem to legitimately understand and respect the lineage of the company.

If I purchased a new kit made here in the US, it would be a Noble and Cooley solid maple, an A&F or another Montineri maple.

You couldn't pay me enough to play a Mapex. :tongue6:

drums1225

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’ve been wondering about the true differences between an 18” and a 20” kick. I know that 18” is the only officially “permitted” or accepted size for jazz, but couldn’t you just use your 20” and adjust the heads/tuning/playing?

For acoustic jazz, I prefer an 18x14 bass drum tuned medium high, and without muffling (maybe a felt strip), and a 12" tom tuned fairly high. Over the years, I've accumulated enough drums and cymbals that I rarely call on my drums (particularly my bass drums) to be especially "versatile". I just use a different kit or cymbals for the different sounds I'm after.

I'm sure I could tune my 20x16 high and it would sound great, but I haven't touched the factory tuning since it arrived in Feb of 2020!

Last edited:

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
For acoustic jazz, I prefer an 18x14 bass drum tuned medium high, and without muffling (maybe a felt strip), and a 12" tom tuned fairly high. Over the years, I've accumulated enough drums and cymbals that I rarely call on my drums (particularly my bass drums) to be particularly "versatile". I just use a different kit or cymbals for the different sounds I'm after.

I'm sure I could tune my 20x16 high and it would sound great, but I haven't touched the factory tuning since it arrived in Feb of 2020!
Makes sense

UptownShakedown

Reaction score
Not as sexy as some of the choices on here but I think that Pearl Maple Gum kit in Satin natural looked and sounded killer. Not a huge fan of the badges but sound and look were awesome.

Old Drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Actually, if I were to buy a drum set new to me, I'd look for a used set lower end than my Gretsch Catilinas. I see contenders advertised from time to time, but because I'm not buying, I don't inquire. I just think cheap drums that the owner can make to play well are cool.

Of course, if I wasn't a cheapskate, I'd look for a 50s/60s set of Ludwigs, maybe in silver sparkle, or possibly a set of Slingerlands from around the same era. Again, we're talking cool.

Last but not least, if I were to buy a brand new set today, I like those top-of-the-line Ludwigs made from mahogany. I forget what Ludwig calls this series (no sense remembering because they're way too expensive for me) but I like them, especially with the mahogany wood.