If You Were Going to Buy a New Drum Set, What Would it Be?

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, if I were to buy a drum set new to me, I'd look for a used set lower end than my Gretsch Catilinas. I see contenders advertised from time to time, but because I'm not buying, I don't inquire. I just think cheap drums that the owner can make to play well are cool.

Of course, if I wasn't a cheapskate, I'd look for a 50s/60s set of Ludwigs, maybe in silver sparkle, or possibly a set of Slingerlands from around the same era. Again, we're talking cool.

Last but not least, if I were to buy a brand new set today, I like those top-of-the-line Ludwigs made from mahogany. I forget what Ludwig calls this series (no sense remembering because they're way too expensive for me) but I like them, especially with the mahogany wood.
Ludwig Legacy Mahogany. Man those drums are popular in this forum.

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
12:15 a.m.here in California, so it’s Monday.

Gotta agree with the dogs on this, funkypoodle and Houndog, and go with the InDe Wayfarer aluminum.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
12:15 a.m.here in California, so it’s Monday.

Gotta agree with the dogs on this, funkypoodle and Houndog, and go with the InDe Wayfarer aluminum.
Woof !!!
0AFE9F48-68D2-4A90-8472-6816F9AA2E1E.jpeg

Heavytrain

Reaction score
Few months back bought a set of Pearl Session Studio Classic 12,13,16 24 to replace my Tama Star Classics. Little hesitant at first about birch shells but with the mix of kapur wood they have a great sound. Added a 6x14 Tama SLP Bubinga snare and it’s kickin.

Reaction score
Jenkins Martin/Blaemire, Noble and Cooley Horizon or Yamaha PHX.

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Few months back bought a set of Pearl Session Studio Classic 12,13,16 24 to replace my Tama Star Classics. Little hesitant at first about birch shells but with the mix of kapur wood they have a great sound. Added a 6x14 Tama SLP Bubinga snare and it’s kickin.
Which Starclassics did you have, Maple?

That SLP Bubinga snare is incredible.

Heavytrain

Reaction score
Yeh it was a oyster finish maple set from late 90’s I was told by the guy I bought them from. Good sound, fair condition but wanted something new and couldn’t pass for the price.

Square

Reaction score
How are you liking that 12-13-16 set up? I have a kit on order (1 up) that is 13". I'm thinking of adding another tom. Not sure if I want to go 10" or 12".

I also own a Pearl SSC... Great drums! Makes me hesitant to go to all maple, which is what my new kit will be.

Heavytrain

Reaction score
How are you liking that 12-13-16 set up? I have a kit on order (1 up) that is 13". I'm thinking of adding another tom. Not sure if I want to go 10" or 12".

I also own a Pearl SSC... Great drums! Makes me hesitant to go to all maple, which is what my new kit will be.
Diggin it, had to work a little on the 12-13 tuning but got it about where I like it. The sizes I listed are the initial kit I ordered and I did find a 10 on ebay from a seller called percussion king in Iowa but I’m having trouble finding other sizes. I still want to add an 8 and 14 just to have the options and 8-10 is great for some jazz or fusion. I did find my shell pack on Reverb brand new from Pearl Direct for like 789, what a steal huh. Anyway that’s two good sources I found for new tubs at great prices hope that helps and apologizies for rambling.

goodcat1337

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'll give 2 options, one that's somewhat in reach, and one where money is no option.

The affordable one would be a C&C Player Date 1 in either Mint Marine Pearl, or Pink Marine Pearl

The dream kit would be a Craviotto, or a Q brass kit.