If You Were Going to Buy a New Drum Set, What Would it Be?

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
6E53BC94-06DB-4ACD-89F0-22908E75ADF1.png

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
Because I've supported "my team" for about 30-35 years, it's time I purchased a new Premier kit. Especially since Premier has new US distribution and new UK owner who both seem to legitimately understand and respect the lineage of the company.

If I purchased a new kit made here in the US, it would be a Noble and Cooley solid maple, an A&F or another Montineri maple.

You couldn't pay me enough to play a Mapex. :tongue6:
Yes better to stick with a company that continually goes out of business every other year. :help:

notINtheband

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Such a good question.
Owning 3 kits, studio, gig, and a mini-gig kit, I really have every base covered as far as both need and purpose. It’s a great place to be I won’t lie.
If I were buying a kit today it would definitely be used. Too many stellar kits out there with almost no wear to justify new.
It would probably be a second gigging kit, 20” bass drum (I’ve never owned one), and in all honesty it would probably be a 3rd Mapex kit.
I have just never heard a kit I liked better. I’ve heard awesome kits that weren’t Mapex sure, but not 1, at any price, I would trade my Saturns for based on performance.
I’d be happy to own kits from Yamaha, DW, Ludwig, Premier, Sonor, and probably be completely happy with them.
But honestly when I look over my Maple/Walnut Saturns, their hardware, build quality, I just don’t see where to go from here. They are a far better set of drums than I am a player.
New drums? I guess I’m done buying drums. I just play em now.
55C08407-8153-4859-A8F0-C913431FDA93.jpeg
5C86E2AE-19EB-4ABB-888B-00BEC7C898F8.jpeg
C35FEB36-1C7E-46DA-95B8-EF8A36C4117A.jpeg

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Such a good question.
Owning 3 kits, studio, gig, and a mini-gig kit, I really have every base covered as far as both need and purpose. It’s a great place to be I won’t lie.
If I were buying a kit today it would definitely be used. Too many stellar kits out there with almost no wear to justify new.
It would probably be a second gigging kit, 20” bass drum (I’ve never owned one), and in all honesty it would probably be a 3rd Mapex kit.
I have just never heard a kit I liked better. I’ve heard awesome kits that weren’t Mapex sure, but not 1, at any price, I would trade my Saturns for based on performance.
I’d be happy to own kits from Yamaha, DW, Ludwig, Premier, Sonor, and probably be completely happy with them.
But honestly when I look over my Maple/Walnut Saturns, their hardware, build quality, I just don’t see where to go from here. They are a far better set of drums than I am a player.
New drums? I guess I’m done buying drums. I just play em now.
View attachment 538136 View attachment 538137 View attachment 538138
You sound a lot like another Mapex enthusiast on this forum.

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eh, so be it. ;)
It’s totally cool, actually. I’ve heard nothing but accolades for the Saturns. Have you ever played a Starclassic Walnut/Birch? I’m asking because that’s the most obvious competitor for the Saturns and for some reason the Saturns don’t have anywhere near the same resale value. I’ve played the W/B and was impressed but never tried a Saturn, so any feedback from your side would be great.

TonyVazquez

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I would buy a Ludwig Questlove Breakbeat kit,
in shiny solid black wrap.
I've read so many good reviews about
that kit, in my mind I perceive it to be
a very punchy kit if I set it up with the
right heads for a tight wet Rock sound.
The size of the kick alone won me over.
You're reading this from a Tama guy!

notINtheband

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Have you ever played a Starclassic Walnut/Birch?
I have played an older Star Classic kit, about a decade ago. I honestly don’t know if it was a Walnut or Birch or Bubinga. It sounded great, not much more one could ask for if memory serves. But I just don’t remember being moved enough to buy it. Went through that with a lot of high end kits during that period when I was searching for that kit that spoke to me.

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have played an older Star Classic kit, about a decade ago. I honestly don’t know if it was a Walnut or Birch or Bubinga. It sounded great, not much more one could ask for if memory serves. But I just don’t remember being moved enough to buy it. Went through that with a lot of high end kits during that period when I was searching for that kit that spoke to me.
Can’t argue with that. Glad you found your ideal kit and that’s what I’ve read again and again from other Saturn owners. I did look at one in the deep water burl finish a few years ago but went a different route, still not sure why.

mkelley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That is a long time to be lacking.
Meh, it's changed owners a few times but hasn't shut down. They've shifted, like most drum makers, to rely on asia for mass production. I'll enjoy what I play and you enjoy what you play...unless you play Mapex, then :pukeleft:

Jml

Reaction score
I would buy a Ludwig Questlove Breakbeat kit,
in shiny solid black wrap.
I've read so many good reviews about
that kit, in my mind I perceive it to be
a very punchy kit if I set it up with the
right heads for a tight wet Rock sound.
The size of the kick alone won me over.
You're reading this from a Tama guy!
I bought a Questlove kit and it was garbage. Returned it the next day. If you want a small quality kit, get a Yamaha Stage Custom bop kit (18” bass drum) or a PDP New Yorker (16” bass drum).

JimmyM

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've decided I want maples that sound like 70's Ludwigs. So I'd pop for Legacy Maple shells and 6.5 x 14 standard Black Beauty.

In a perfect world. In real life, I'd probably just get PDP Maples and pocket the difference :D