If you've ever wondered how Ringo would approach The Purdie Shuffle...

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
The vocals were terrible
I heard no issues with the vocals. Hell, Lukather sang the original. I thought the sax player did an admirable job doing Bobby Kimballs insanely high parts. If I have any problem with the video, it’s Ringos part. Just doesn’t work IMHO. Gregg of course nails it.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
It’s a physically demanding song to play. So I’m not that surprised that someone would take an easier approach. Obviously, Gregg has lots of chops and can handle just about anything that he would encounter. I had to play that tune once...long time ago when they had this band that would play at the Braves stadium, near the gate as folks walked in. I did my best to get through it, but it takes a lot of shedding to do it justice!

Marquisjohnson22

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I heard no issues with the vocals. Hell, Lukather sang the original. I thought the sax player did an admirable job doing Bobby Kimballs insanely high parts. If I have any problem with the video, it’s Ringos part. Just doesn’t work IMHO. Gregg of course nails it.
This... I did not like Ringo's accompaniment but Gregg nailed the song through and through!

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I saw this lineup at Celebrity Theatre (where the video was taken) a couple years ago. It was a great concert, although we were a bit further back from the stage.

I don't find it embarrassing for him. He was never a type to play this style, but seems he wanted to include it for Lukather and so he's taking a backseat to let his band do their thing. He's upper 70's and still doing shows like this; I think it's great.

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Reaction score
He's nearly 80! I hope I can play that well when I'm 80. I thought the vocals were weak as well.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I saw this lineup at Celebrity Theatre (where the video was taken) a couple years ago. It was a great concert, although we were a bit further back from the stage.

I don't find it embarrassing for him. He was never a type to play this style, but seems he wanted to include it for Lukather and so he's taking a backseat to let his band do their thing. He's upper 70's and still doing shows like this; I think it's great.
I think you nailed it. He was never a do it all session type of superstar. But really awesome at what he does. It’s a very difficult song to pull off...and honestly, very few drummers could play it like Jeff did (Gregg can).

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
Wonderful! Classic Ringo. Classic Greg and Ringo!!!

Classic English-style (Mad Dogs, Prince's Trust, Song For George) double drumming!!

I seriously don't get the "don't like" responses (never mind "embarrassing") - I mean, for those feeling that way, is your main yardstick simply how well a performance imitates the original? Does that really take precedent of all other considerations... like was it fun? Did it groove? Was it entertaining?

Or is it really just, there's no fun nor joy to be had, when something is different than you'e heard it before? That no groove grooves, except the original groove???

If so, I'm sorry. Because that's too bad... and just a bit sad. I just can't imagine looking at drumming that way - or music overall.

thejohnlec

Reaction score
Yes, challenging tune but I think this is more of a fun jam version to fit the vibe of the show, so a looser approach would be appropriate. Best parts were Luke’s and Rollie’s solos at the end! And, I think these are Ringo’s monitors positioned behind him (see pic).

DCA9C602-B800-4C1F-A546-D8C09D7FB281.jpeg

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Wonderful! Classic Ringo. Classic Greg and Ringo!!!

Classic English-style (Mad Dogs, Prince's Trust, Song For George) double drumming!!

I seriously don't get the "don't like" responses (never mind "embarrassing") - I mean, for those feeling that way, is your main yardstick simply how well a performance imitates the original? Does that really take precedent of all other considerations... like was it fun? Did it groove? Was it entertaining?

Or is it really just, there's no fun nor joy to be had, when something is different than you'e heard it before? That no groove grooves, except the original groove???

If so, I'm sorry. Because that's too bad... and just a bit sad. I just can't imagine looking at drumming that way - or music overall.
Well like I said David, it was an IMHO... I’m a nobody but for me, the only thing that I didn’t like was Ringo's playing. For me, it took away from the performance of a song I cherish. Ringo’s the reason I started playing drums but sometimes, (rarely actually for Ringo) things don’t work. For me, it was this. Who cares anyway?

Marquisjohnson22

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well like I said David, it was an IMHO... I’m a nobody but for me, the only thing that I didn’t like was Ringo's playing. For me, it took away from the performance of a song I cherish. Ringo’s the reason I started playing drums but sometimes, (rarely actually for Ringo) things don’t work. For me, it was this. Who cares anyway?
This I agree with. I felt the same way. I just didn't like his playing with Gregg and the band although I do get that it was fun. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Latest posts