If you've ever wondered how Ringo would approach The Purdie Shuffle...

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
Guys - I wasn't meaning to offend anyone - or make anyone wrong... Obviously this topic sort of comes up a lot here... so yes, absolutely I get it is each individual's opinion... of course, that's obvious... and everyone is welcome to their opinions.

And yet it is hard not to notice so many opinions that seemed to be driven from valuing successfully copying an original version above it would appear all other considerations.

That's all I was trying to point out - food for thought - take it or dismiss it as you will.

In this case, FOR ME, absolutely nothing taken away from the song - because once again, for me, Jeff's drum pattern has nothing to do with the song Rossana - but rather one arrangement of it. It's great - but I can still sing Rossana in the shower without everything thinking about Purdie shuffles... because it is... a really nice song. Just as I can sing it - without the extended orchestrated synth solo section... because again.... not part of the song... just that arrangement.

I love the whole BoDiddly coda on this that has nothing to do with Toto's record.... I love that if we were going to have two drummer's play then they shouldn't be playing what Jeffery played (like some written out college board exam). I love it was Ringo's playing Rosanna like Ringo's band should play it - as I have zero interest in hearing how closely Ringo's band can try to sound like Toto. I would go see Toto for that.

You see, because THAT isn't playing the song or IMO even respecting the song.... that is being a sound-a-like, a tape recorder... not an actual band worth paying tickets to see.

IMO

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
In this case, FOR ME, absolutely nothing taken away from the song - because once again, for me, Jeff's drum pattern has nothing to do with the song Rossana - but rather one arrangement of it. It's great - but I can still sing Rossana in the shower without everything thinking about Purdie shuffles... because it is... a really nice song. Just as I can sing it - without the extended orchestrated synth solo section... because again.... not part of the song... just that arrangement.
To me, Ringo is playing it exactly how I'd imagine he would if Paul had written "Rosanna" for The Beatles. It just sounds like Ringo playing another catchy song. And he has been directly involved in a few of those.

Last edited:

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
To me, Ringo is playing it exactly how I'd imagine he would if Paul had written "Rosanna" for The Beatles. It just sounds like Ringo playing another catchy song. And he has been directly involved in a few of those.
I can't disagree with you on this. Ringo is Ringo and that's what got me interested in drums in the first place. I owe him a lot for that.

SteveB

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think it was fine for a live performance. Ringo did a good job of staying out of Greg's way and just catching the stabs with him. Just two drummers doing their own thing. Sometimes the monitoring can be an issue between two drummers too. If it ain't right then a lot flamming might happen....didn't here that here.

Last edited:

Latest posts